1978 308 GTS EV Conversion | Page 9 | FerrariChat

1978 308 GTS EV Conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Hutch, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh yea, that looks fantastic!

I'll up the bid to $100, on that old instrument assembly!
    :D :D :D

And all the old A arms of the suspension, if you are throwing them out....

2. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #202 308Hutch, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A bit of progress after a few weeks attending to other projects.....

(1) Waytek breaker fuse panel being populated,
    (2) Door lock actuator mounts
    (3) OEM Relay board being rebuilt,
    (4) New Window Switches (backlit) & Relays
    (5) Center Console redesign in progress to accomodate Mods and conversion items
    (6) A sneak peak at the door panel

More to come....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #203 308Hutch, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    https://vimeo.com/134163992

Get ready for the power plant. A few parts to send to the machinist and we are ready to start dropping the motors in. 2 pulleys, flange, and motor mounts about to be sent out from SolidWorks.... Getting close to seeing the machine come to life.

Wire install and testing going well. Door locks working, windows working with the new switches and associated 4 relays, and the Alpine made some good noise too.

4. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #204 308Hutch, Jul 23, 2015
    A better look at the rear grill installed. Finished fittings and wiring in the rear. Nice to tighten up the rear grill. Notice that without an exhaust/muffler, there is a really clean line with a limited view of the G50 through the new grill we fab'd. No heat. No insulation. No noise.

Wiring is at 100% effort but not worth photos yet... birds nest is looking good... will post when it cleans up and worth a couple views. Simple but time demanding.

5. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #205 308Hutch, Jul 24, 2015
  6. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Very clean, great work. You may want to consider replacing that lock with a twist lock as it will get very old, very quickly when you have to fetch the your keys to charge the car everytime. I have a 2014 Volt and in year 3 they made the charge port door push-to-open rather than in-car release for this very reason.

Just a thought,

Warren

7. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Good idea. It will be used frequently! Thanks Warren. Will work on a solution for both sides. Right side will have a remote 12v terminal point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #208 308Hutch, Jul 27, 2015
    Decided to jump in head first to rewire from scratch basically since we are using so little of the existing (formerly) systems. Guess I am on an instant learning bullet train! Re harnessing from front to mid is done, and rear to mid car done. Working on wiring the 13 console switch items and getting really close to confirmation of basic operating system operation.... blinkers, hazards, wipers, washer.... Windows upgraded with new switches and associated relays. Soon as we wrap up the 12v items we are off and running with the actual conversion wiring and gauges.

About everything is now harnessed up. Note the wires protruding from the Rear right window area behind the window grill? Guess what that is... Kind of cool when finished.....

Also note the Odyssey Battery about 2/3 size of standard but this fits perfectly in front of the passenger foot plate.

The running joke appears to be on the 6th day he wired... but that is missing 10 other days :).

9. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Your vacation has gone on long enough. There is a cool car to finish! Get back to work.

10. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Haha yeah let's see more of this great project : )

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I cannot wait to see the Youtube video of this thing running

12. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #212 308Hutch, Aug 14, 2015
    I see that there is no choice but to end my vacation, put away the surf board and get back to the project :).

1. Had about 8 hours of final engineering with about 2 left. Hope to wrap it up within a couple days. This allows us to send out final 2 pulleys to our machinist for milling, send out files to the water jet folks to cut the motor mounting brackets (and allow final welding of the motor mounts).

2. Waiting for water jetting to return 3 electrical panels.....

3. Remote terminals installed (to power up 12v system to access control systems in event of 12v battery failure) and we put in a 150 amp resettable Buss Breaker in line on the 12v system.

More to come soon.....

13. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #213 308Hutch, Aug 27, 2015
    Making headway.

- 12v wiring just about complete (1 day left next week).
    - Back up access/control power source tied into a M121v battery
    - Interior well underway Pebble beach quality. Dash came out for re-covering to match.
    - Interior coming along
    - Interior back shelf area complete
    - Engineering completed. Files sent to both machinist for final 2 pulley's and waterjet for motor brackets. Note we are using 4 mounts designed to fit on the frame tubing of the 308 (showing)... Also the inclusion of the firewall reflects the package size in relation to the engine bay and car. Will post another picture full set up with controllers, bat packs, and contact box. It fills the entire engine bay and is pretty cool. The main shaft pulley is impressively fit tight and directly to the Aascco flywheel. We have about 1' to spare between top of motors and firewall.

Looking to have this driving in Sept. Motor fitment begins soon as the custom brackets and pulleys come back.

Stay tuned :).

14. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
  15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  16. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #216 308Hutch, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Correction.... Tags near the assembly number are no longer in place. The chassis numbers in place. But I see assembly # may still be in the upper frame. Ill check tomorrow to see if its still there. Thats cool.

17. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The 573 written on the dash is likely the assembly#. Thats what made me think about it. Should also be on the top of the frame on the drivers side of the engine bay where the coils used to be.

18. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #218 308Hutch, Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up and link to the Assembly number... cool. So I went back in my photo files and I had removed the tab on the frame left side top with the number under and sanded down the stamped number to "clean" up the frame in the highly "to be very visible" trunk area. My bad. But as pointed out, the assembly number is all over the car.... Found that one on the bottom of the fiberglass dash and also found another inside of the console tunnel as attached..... note the 573 USA marking...... It would make sense as the car is market December of 1978 on the main tag inside the driver door.

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh yeah. For some reason I was thinking it was a later year car. Still like you said its in a lot of places in the car. Yep that makes sense too. Mine is tagged Jan '78 with assembly #70. And the number on the coil bracket for yours would have had an A after it also.

20. badkarma308

badkarma308 Karting

Aug 5, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Eric,
    You going to have this up and running for the 40for40 event?

I'm looking to get a caravan together to head up there.

-seth

21. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Will be to the wire....... But think it is possible...... Look forward to attending assuming build "completion" by Sept 30.

22. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #222 308Hutch, Sep 3, 2015
  23. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #223 308Hutch, Sep 5, 2015
    The motor mounting brackets came in Friday... 1st triple motor project! Drilled and tapped holes, confirmed measurements, fit to G50, etc.... They really show the size of the power plant..... it will fill the mid engine area really well.

Console designed as shown... shift boot is a "draft" looking for a final solution..... Really tried for the iconic shift gate.... complex to make it work and not sure about whether or not it really would. The size of the PMS shift box was tight, fulcrum would have to have been dropped to the floor, throw would have been really to long for a "gate", etc.

"Fire Wall" of Carbon Fiber.... It won't fit when we are done so it goes in now... Will remained protected for the install...

Next week the motor is coming together and test fitting.... It is tight, really tight... down to about 1" of clearance at top forward against firewall. Will be challenging to get it in.....

24. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #224 308Hutch, Sep 8, 2015
    Assembling motor brackets and a lot of labor to refine. Soon as they are done we will drop motors in and will assemble the "block". Pulleys came in for front and for flywheel connection. Check out the shop work on the pulley fab! Such a compact unit. Note the one bracket is se tot mount to the G50 with very tight flange. Space is at a premium here.

Someone from Memphis, TN should be happy to see this progress! :)

25. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

😄

Very happy! What an amazing project and such craftsmanship! Thanks for the update and tell the gang hello for me.

Mark