2006 Ford GT | FerrariChat

2006 Ford GT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dwells, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwells

dwells Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Does anyone have experience in the cockpit of a ford GT? I just acquired one that I am having a few things repaired on, never actually driven one, and don't have it yet.

Can anyone shed some light on their driving experience? compared to maybe Ferraris of the era?

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Only a couple hours of seat time. Effortless torque, as a supercharged motor it feels far more NA like it has twice the displacement sitting behind your head with a willingness to rev. The tunnel makes you feel more like you have your own half of the car separated from the passenger.

Until you are high into the rev range, it is so low and wide it is sublime to drive at moderately fast speeds. You do not need to work for that speed either it's instant on and you will appreciate (or become wildly addicted) to the tall 1st gear.

The speedo takes getting used to depending on how obsessively you check your speed with it off on the right so you learn to look ahead and out the windscreen to train yourself to go by tach and gear as a better approximation.

If you follow the first rule of Italian driving and what behind you doesn't matter, the narrow window looking back may or may not bother you from the position of the rear view mirror. As a short driver, this is not so concerning but you may find yourself looking down to look out the rear view if you are taller.

The switch gear is novel and satisfying. Halogen headlights standard and while I have not done night driving, you may want to consider HIDs if you plan to do any spirited runs after dusk.

Very firm seats, Personally, I don't know if I would enjoy them for a long distance drive and I am pretty tolerant to non-luxury seating.

3. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    It will be the exotic car that you won't have to spend money on. Had ours 10 years, and other than oil changes, no service needed.

They are very easy driving cars, but watch out with cold tires, or the original Goodyears. The car can get away with you easily in first and second gears without some sticky rubber on it. Bridgestone has some tires originally designed for the ENZO that fit, and give you the needed traction.

You can get a little info on F/chat in the American Muscle section, but if you really want to learn about your new GT, get active on the fordgtforum.com. A wealth of information there, and a really tight community of great owners. They just had their 12th annual rally, in Utah this year, and I would recommend attending one with your ride.

One of our DFW Orthopedic surgeons active on F/chat, just drove his 05 GT to Jackson Hole, Utah and back, and averaged 20+ mpg while doing it.

Don't save it for the next guy, drive the heck out of it. Congrats.

David Lind likes this.
  4. dwells

dwells Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Thanks guys!