2011 612 Scaglietti | FerrariChat

2011 612 Scaglietti

Discussion in '612/599' started by Scuderia_Ferrari, Jul 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Does anybody have any idea on what changes will be made to the 612 Scaglietti when it is updated in the next year or two?

I'm thinking pretty basic. Horsepower increase, mild exterior upgrades, new options?

Think it will keep it's name or be called the 612M Scaglietti?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jamie- It will be a new car with a new engine and drivetrain with a dual clutch transmission, almost assuredly. The 612 is the last Ferrari with an engine still requiring a cam belt change, so that has to go. The car first came out in 2004, so there will be very little in common with the current 612. Expect a new name, too. In 2015 there will be an M version of the new car.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks Terry. So essentially it'll be a full on replacement of the 612, as appose to an 'updated' version like I was assuming?

4. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    My dealer is in maranello, saw the new 612, 4x4 640hp!!!!! Looks amazing...totally new car. 7speed dual clutch. Can't wait.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any idea when it will be out?

6. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    4*4? Wow, that would be a major change. Is this confirmed or just rumors at this stage?

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    4X4 kind of useless to me...i wldnt want it in my QP either...

8. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    did he like the design?

9. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    He said it looks stunning. Very different than current car. what they showed him was the desing sketches, and they had a look at the prototype. there was a dealer event focused on customer service, brand image, and new product communication over the past few days.....he said...the car is incredible.

As far as I was told...the 4 wheel drive thing is confirmed...not sure about why. Its just what I was told. I find it very odd for ferrari...but trust them....they always pull off a masterpiece.

MJ

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    AWD makes a lot of sense for a grand tourer, especially considering the competition. I guess it depends on where you live, but I always have AWD in my sedans. It's less important in a car like the 612, although I'd still like to have it.

11. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    I guess Ferrari will adopt the four-wheel-drive just as Audi and Lamborghini do for their cars. 60% of the power goes to the back wheels and the remaining 40% goes to the front wheels. They wouldn't turn the new 612 in a range rover I guess/hope ;)

12. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

13. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Also heard the car will have a lift back not a normal boot, front end very 458 like, but wider.

The car is to be a masterpiece!

14. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I hope not...

15. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    that was what someone described it as, as far as I know, no two ferrari models look alike during production.

Lets see. I cant wait!

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Clearly Ferrari didn't learn first time round then.

Shame about the 4wd though. If it was an option, I'd understand, but it isn't, so I don't.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The 4wd system on the new 612 is going to be an interchangeable 4wd system I believe. 4wd wheel only be used for a few seconds when accelerating. It will be a totally different than what Lamborghini offers on their cars. The car will essentially be a rwd car with power only going to all wheels when it is needed most. I do not see any problem with it. It will give you the benefit of outstanding acceleration while not giving away any of the attributes that come with a rwd car. I think it is a win win proposition.

18. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ

Thats what they were saying, very advanced 4wd system. The main focus is usable power on a GT delivering uncompromised performance in all driving conditions. Acceleration is supposed to be incredible and strong all the way to top end. 458 territory, which is crazy for a car that size.

19. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The Panamera Turbo proves it is possible for a car to comfortably hold 4 people and accelerate to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. It too has a dual clutch transmission but it has AWD. I would guess the new 612 will be at least as fast as the Panamera and be much better looking too. I look forward to seeing it.

20. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Quite a few people seem to drive their current 612s as daily drivers. It would help them if they live in areas where winter/snow is a factor. If Ferrari could pull this off without any compromises, more power to them in my view.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A four wheel drive system for a Ferrari would not have a fixed torque split between rear and front axles. Most of the time, 100% of the power will go to the back wheels unless the system senses slip and then torque will be routed to the front. So you end up with the same feel in dry conditions and a bit of help when things get slippery. A little more weight, but all you need is a lot of hp and that is no problem for a 6 liter or so V12 with 600+ hp. The current 5.75 liter engine make 540 hp and that is with no VVT, no direct injection, etc. Even with an engine tuned more for torque, the next engine should be a beauty.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Spot on from what I've been told (on a visit to Ferrari only a few days back). Forget conventional 4wd. Outstanding acceleration, and cornering power.
    Nathan

23. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Getting curious...

Gr. Martin

24. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Cant wait! I think its gonna be a masterpiece. I also heard the car will be cheaper than the current 612 OTO, probably even under a 599 GTB base price too.

I am more excited about this car than any other in the recent new models. I am a fan of the big front v12 2+2 Fcars. 612 & 456 are incredible cars.

25. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Panamera Turbo understeers like hell. Let's hope Ferrari will do a better job