2017-2018 Silly Season | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2017-2018 Silly Season

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    When Vettel left RB he had a get out clause in his contract depending on his position in the WDC,even so it was a shock announcement at that time.

The main difference this time around is that RB would collect $$$,i guess they learned their lesson with Vettel ,who had been with RB for 15 years!

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #103 Igor Ound, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    And that year he shockingly finished in the WDC even behind his teammate! And Alonso who still had a contract with Ferrari and said he wanted to finish his carreer there suddenly "of his own decision" had to look for another team. What a series of shocking coincidences! ;)

Contracts are near worthless if the team doesn't want you anymore or the driver wants to go somewhere else

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari to resign Vettel and Kimi, announcement at Monza

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    AUGUST 3, 2017

Marchionne not confirming Monza driver call

Sergio Marchionne is not saying if Ferrari plans to announce its next driver lineup at Monza in one month.

The fabled Italian team often targets its home race as the scene of key announcements, amid strong speculation Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen are staying on board for 2018.

But there have been rumours linking Vettel with a dramatic swap with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

"Hamilton's ending his career with Ferrari would be a privilege, but so far we have not gone far with such plans," Marchionne, the Ferrari president, said.

"I'm not talking about the future as we already have two great drivers with us."

As for the claims a Monza announcement is scheduled, he answered: "I have not heard if Maurizio Arrivabene intends to do so, as I do not plan the schedules myself.

"But at this moment only 11 races have been run, with nine still to go.

"I have spoken openly about the situation with Sebastian, because if he wants to stay with us, he is more than welcome to do so.

"In Kimi's case, we're pretty sure or we know that he wants to stay."

More broadly, Marchionne said he is happy with how the 2017 season is going for Ferrari.

"I'm happy with the season but there's still nine races," said the Italian-Canadian.

"We have moved ahead of Mercedes in the drivers' championship, and we are closer in the constructors, which means we have great chances," Marchionne admitted.

Finally, he welcomed the early impact being made in the post-Bernie Ecclestone era by new F1 owners Liberty Media.

"Liberty Media has made a big investment and there is a good chance it is the way to make money and make formula one become profitable," said Marchionne.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..shut the **** up sweater...just sign the current drivers and go eat a burger...

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A linkage?? -- Sebastian Vettel is only willing to sign a one-year extension with Ferrari, according to Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat.

The championship leader is out of contract with the Scuderia at the end of the season, but it is expected he will remain with the team for 2018. Sky F1 understands Ferrari will announce an unchanged driver line-up for next season at September's Italian GP.

But while Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne wants the German to sign a new three-year deal, it is claimed Vettel is only prepared to extend his stay by 12 months.

The report says Vettel is interested in a move to Mercedes in the near future, with a seat at the Silver Arrows potentially available for 2019.

Mercedes have no drivers confirmed for 2019, with Valtteri Bottas' present deal expiring at the end of this season, although an extension is expected, and Lewis Hamilton's running until the end of 2018.

Ilta Sanomat also claim Vettel had an agreement with Mercedes that he would not commit to a 2018 deal with any team until after July, which is why negotiations over an extension with Ferrari have been delayed. (Full story - external site in Finnish)

Via SKY F1 Gossip

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'd love to see LH and Vettel swap at some point for the sake of shaking things up.

There'd certainly be no shortage of conversation on fchat if LH were a Ferrari driver. :D

8. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    LOL!!!

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'll quite literally vomit in disgust.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'm not sure I could root for Hamilton wearing red. I think I would be taking a pause at that point until he was gone.

Vettel at Mercedes would seem to be a good marketing opportunity for both Merc and Seb because of the "go Germany" combo.

Robb

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Vettel at Merc would be a german dream team. But… how long will Merc stay in the sport? I doubt it will be very long before they 'do a Porsche' and pull the plug.

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I did that with Alonso...not keen in doing it again...

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

GMMF1.NET - By Global Motorsport Media

AUGUST 7, 2017

Vettel wants one-year Ferrari extension

Sebastian Vettel's future might not be as clear as recent media reports suggest.

Italian sources report that Ferrari is preparing to confirm Vettel alongside Kimi Raikkonen for 2018 at Monza next month, with president Sergio Marchionne admitting a deal "may be close".

But Finland's Ilta Sanomat newspaper now cites sources in saying Ferrari and Vettel are in fact not in agreement over the duration of a new deal, with the German pushing for a mere one-year contract in order to leave his options open for 2019.

"It's true that I haven't got a contract yet," Vettel admitted, "but I think the primary objective at the moment is not worrying about papers but making sure we get good results."

Another rumour is that Vettel signed a pre-agreement with Mercedes prior to the 2018 season, whereby the 30-year-old would not agree a post-2017 deal until after July.

Vettel said: "As I've said, I'm not in a rush, I don't think the team (Ferrari) is in a rush, and as far as I understand I think I have a good contact with the team and they would tell me otherwise.

"So as I've said there's no problem -- nothing wrong."

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I don't understand this line of thought

Drivers come and go. But the Scuderia Ferrari will always be there. To me, that means you support the team and its drivers . . . WHOEVER THEY MAY BE.

Period. End of Story.

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I believe there will be a swap between Vettel-Hamilton in the near future.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry i don't support cheaters, liars, and people who tried to harm Ferrari....Alonso to me is just SCUM....i love Ferrari ever since i can remenber, but i won't suport every crap they hire...they will have my full support as long as they hire drivers that deserve my respect.

18. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I think that your view of Alonso is more than just a bit distorted. But, I do understand that this is a forum for opinion.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Forza Ferrari!

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They will conclude the contract they signed with Bernie, which ends at the end of 2020.

Then, Mercedes will leave, I guess.

They are half way through that period and already have won 3 WDCs and 3 WCCs.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess so, as long as someone provides facts i'm always willing to respect their opinion, even if i desagree.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lawrence Stroll is seeking the most cost effective method to ensure that his son has F1 ride. Is the best course to rent a seat(Williams) or to buy one(FI)?

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Its a joke. Marginal driver buying access. Would any rational team hire Stroll based on ability alone......No.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Pay drivers exist in F1; that's a fact.

Lance stroll is far from being the first one.