2017 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2017 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Man you guys give Karen a hard time; did she turn down your advances or something ...

Pete

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Quite the opposite.

3. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What is the point of ads if there are no eyes to see them?

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    No ads on Foxtel so boo hoo for them

5. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    True! I guess I just find F1 more of a performance than real racing these days...so much 'drama' around rules and personalities, the actual racing doesn't seem so interesting these days. Sigh, I think I'm just old fashioned and miss the wheel to wheel racing that used to be more of the norm.

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    FFS
    when was this wheel to wheel racing you speak of?

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5DMrBU4oWA

8. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #133 freaky1, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Did you watch any racing last year ?

Infact the sport has never had so much overtaking as it has since the inception of DRS. Fans complaining its actually too much and too artificial !

Suggest you watch some races from an era you believe there was wheel to wheel racing and i bet you will be nodding off pretty quickly.

Yep, the sport isn't perfect in its current state, but is certainly allot more exciting than the borathon we had 15 years ago as an example.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just ignore her... She's ridiculous and trying to be relevant.

10. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wouldn't be karaoke then?????

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It would be for Marcel Marceau

14. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And RMV?

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    From Motorsport.com
    Formula 1's 2017 cars have delivered on the looks front, with leading figures insisting there is no repeat of rule errors like that which opened the door for ugly noses a few years ago.

As well as the changes coming for this year being aimed at making cars faster, some of the tweaks were aimed at making F1 cars look more aggressive again.

It came against the backdrop of F1 having faced criticisms about its previous generation of challengers, which included a spate of ugly noses.

Former Williams chief technical officer Pat Symonds, who played a role in helping frame the F1 2017 rules, believes that the cars will be appealing to look at, which was one of the areas that the teams were asked to address.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

"I think the cars look great," Symonds told Motorsport.com, having followed closely the progress of the Williams car before his departure at the end of last year.

"I've said before I was really worried that they'd look quite retro, but they don't. They look quite nice.

"As with all these things, we could have tidied up a few areas and done things better to improve the aesthetics of the cars. But it's not like the horrible [stepped-noses] things we had in 2012 or that sort of time."

Status quo change

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff acknowledged that, while the new cars look "spectacular", the chances of getting it wrong with the design of the new car are higher.

"I am most excited to see how the new cars are going to go because we expect them to be much faster," said Wolff this week. "They look spectacular, and it is going to be much more physical for the drivers.

"But when there are such a regulation change, it gives opportunities and risks and we have set aggressive targets for where we think the car should be going to and also the engine. We are pushing flat out to achieve those targets, but will those targets be enough or will other teams come out of the blocks better than we do? We don't know.

"But whether there is a regulation change or not, it is always the time of the year where we are all very sceptical, where we question ourselves on whether we have done a good enough job.

"It has always been our mentality in the team. It doesn't make our days more happy but it is how we function."

Symonds also reckons that the regulations changes could alter the pecking order at the front of the grid.

"In terms of the racing I think the jury's still out, but I do believe it has a very good chance of altering the status quo, and I think that's quite a good thing, just because it's a reset," he said.

"One can understand why Mercedes were perhaps not quite so keen on any change."

Overtaking issues

Symonds concedes, however, that downforce levels making it harder to overtake could become an issue after the first few races.

Overtaking was not part of the discussions as the rules were being drafted.

"The brief, for what it was worth, was to make it five seconds quicker. There wasn't even any rationale as to why we should do that," he said.

Symonds is hopeful that with the help of Ross Brawn - who will be the sport's managing director - F1 will have more coherent planning in the future.

"I hope that if nothing else we have a strategy in F1. We had a Strategy Group but they didn't really understand the meaning of the word. Hopefully things can be thought through, and in addition to thinking it through you can be looking at where we might be in years to come.

"I've always worked on three-year plans. I revise those three-year plans, I don't wait until the end of them and start again – I look at them at the end of six months, extend them by six months, and see what's valid and what isn't valid.

"I think F1 needs to do something similar – five years rather than three years because of the complexity of it."

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  17. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gee they sounded good. :)

Poor Schumi. :(

18. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

19. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  20. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
  21. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mate, one of your shoes would be ok! ;)

22. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    LOL

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    hahahaha

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  25. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Too many jimmy germs for his body to handle.