2018 Maserati Granturismo | FerrariChat

2018 Maserati Granturismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Griffon83, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    #1 Griffon83, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NEP likes this.
  2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #2 raider1968, Jun 28, 2017
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Can You Spot the Teeny Tiny Updates to the Maserati GranTurismo for 2018?

Road & Track Headline: Can You Spot the Teeny Tiny Updates to the Maserati GranTurismo for 2018?

"The Pininfarina-designed Maserati GranTurismo doesn't look dated, but it's been in production for ten years now. Maserati had big plans to replace it with a smaller sports car, previewed by the lovely Alfieri concept, but that project has been delayed until next decade...So yes. The GranTurismo is old, and this facelift is minor. That said, this is still Maserati's prettiest car on sale. We just hope the next Maserati coupe looks a lot like the Alfieri."

Yawn. Amazing that they still are selling a 10+ year old platform/car at this point. Dealers are getting killed on these. 20% off of MSRP has been available on these for the last several years. Its such a huge and heavy car...I am waiting for the Alfieri...I may not live that long...

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Why would you buy one of these at 160 to 130k when you can get basically the same car used at 50k? I predict a glacial pace on these new cars in 2017+

Robb

Gle8 likes this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Pininfarina got the original design right on the car. I would pick one of the early cars without the side slit and definitely NO hood scoop.

Robb

johnei likes this.
  6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    The platform dates from 2003 actually. Yet it's still unique, I dare you find another truly front mid-engined 4-seater car on the market this side of a GTC4.

I was thinking about the Granturismo yesterday, given how things are shaping up it's going to be the last of an era:

It's the last ever chance to buy a naturally aspirated Ferrari V8 new.

It's the last Pininfarina designed car left in production—AFAIK, the last car designed by ANY Italian carrozzeria still in production.

Together with the Alfa 4C, it's also the only thing that's keeping alive Maserati's storied Via Ciro Menotti factory in Modena.

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I like the first ones / S / MC better. The new front lip does not fit in. Too many things going on at the front. Personal taste....

goldlifter and Hightower like this.
  8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I love the profile look of the car. Why change that? It works for the 911 and Aston Martin.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yeah. why keep a nice looking car when you can botch the front end for its final year.
    looks like they want customer to see the car go qwith no regrets.
    the scoop does not bother me but the new grid is awafull. that car now looks like its cheaper sister model. Sad end for what was one of the best 4 seaters.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    a classic car, but will people buy a classic car new?

so disappointed more effort hasn't been put into the Alfieri, it has been universally praised.

11. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    #11 Griffon83, Jun 29, 2017
  12. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    #12 Griffon83, Jun 29, 2017
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Looks like an early 90-ies travel TV that they squeezed in the interior.....

MK1044 and 604Nick like this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    this car is too long in the tooth.

If you look at the Alfa Guilia, it has a beautiful invisible non-touch screen with minimal buttons. This is the future.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #15 F1tommy, Jun 29, 2017
    F456M likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #16 F1tommy, Jun 29, 2017
  17. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    well, I recently got rid of my 2012 GT MC, put about 18K miles on it, had it for about 1.5 years.

there were soooooo many ways to make this a better car, and clearly they have done very few of them.
    just by looking at the pictures.... they are sticking with the same total BULL$H1T plastic crap for around the vents, and various and sundry knobs. They will go sticky / gooey in short order. Maybe the infotainment is better than the Commodore 64 in the previous version. But it looks aftermarket in the pics.
    I'm sure it did not go on a diet either.... its a really heavy car.

all that being said... I think it was a gorgeous car, you can fit 4 real adults in it. And it made beautiful music. Too bad it is filled with cheap parts. As for the new updates, maybe someone from Lexus redesigned the front fascia. I love the hood scoop, but the stuff around the lights... hello Lexus!

and too bad about the Alfieri! Was supposed to be 100K. Maserati could actually have called themselves a sports car company if they were building it. They would have sold thousands of them!

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Post of the day.

Robb

F456M likes this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I too much prefer the earlier nose and when I can buy one I will definitely opt for that...but it is logical for a company to bring designs across the range in line.
    In other news I drove Levantes and Ghiblis in the Jura mountains during a Bonhams Maserati Audemars Piguet day June 22nd and was really impressed and this was on very challenging roads.
    Did not even begin to fiddle with the electronic gadgets, I am definitely not interested in any of that so could not care less if a Merc of BMW has better gizmos. The handling of both really exceeded my expectations but what do I know I am a classic car enthusiast not a modern car person. At Retromobile every year I spend four days, whereas at the Geneva show every March I spend four...hours and have had my fill of plastic and electronics...

Best regards,

Marc

killer58 likes this.
  20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Whining on a very high level my friends! The question is: is there currently a more beautiful V8 NA GT in the market? imo nop.

I like the light facelift, because it is very discreet. Will be my next daily driver!

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's sort of where I'm coming from too Marc.

A few weeks ago I was driving the local roads not that far from Maserati NA where the roads are little more than patched potholes as bad as a washboard and I was following a woman in a white/red Levante. I was driving my Jaguar S Type R with 400HP. Not exactly a slouch ... I couldn't keep up but not because of power but rather because of the way the Levante's suspension was absorbing all the punishment and the woman was oblivious to the road's challenges. The car was riding quite smoothly. I was impressed. I won't abuse my car that way over these roads but the point is my car experiences these roads as abuse the Levante doesn't seem to and is therefore much quicker.

Bad roads are just an inescapable reality when you live in the NYC metro area.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Gransport and 2009 GranTurismo F1 just keep getting more attractive!

F456M and JOHNCJ8989 like this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

Good to know. The roads we had near Geneva and in the Jura mountains were very well and freshly paved, very smooth but I recall the potholes and actual huge holes in Manhattan in 1990 when I spent some time there, people would put trash bins over them so a motorcyclist would not kill himself.
    All articles on the Levante mention excellent roadholding and I concur. Can't wait to have a Granturismo S though:)

M

24. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    my feeling as well. for the sticker price they have they can do better. If one need lots of Hp with pastic that actually last, the new corvette seem to be the way to go. I mean for just over $100K you can get the z06 650hp and a very nice driver!! that will smoke most F cars. if you are budget $47K will get you the 450hp at a discount. how in the world can you beat a deal like that?

the more i look at the c7 corvette and the value it offers, alas 4 seats, the more i like it.

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Corvettes have always been Big Bang for the bucks. Granted that in today's market the GranTurismo should be a minimum of 550 hp (not that 450 isn't enough to get the job done, it's just a matter that is where the market is in this price range). Where the GranTurismo is head and shoulders above a corvette or a 911 is in the fact that you can get in it drive for 5 hours and not get beat up. Corvettes and 911s are 2 hour cars. Once you reach a certain age and you realize (and admit) that you're not as young, svelte and flexible as you once were, the GranTurismo is a great car.

MK1044, JOHNCJ8989 and Nembo1777 like this.