250 horn button ,how is it wired? | FerrariChat

250 horn button ,how is it wired?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi
    I am working on a project and i am using a Ferrari 250 steering wheel shaft and a 250 steering wheel , I can't figure out how the horn is wired ? There is a compressed spring between the horn button and steering wheel hub,I am using the 250 shaft colum cover with the 250 turn signal/high beam switch, is there a floating sleeve on the steering wheel shaft that is wired I need? How does the juice get from the button to the horn wire?,also there is a plastic sleeve wrapped in copper that has a set screw to fix in place on the steering wheel shaft not sure what it is for,I think it has something to do with turning off turn signal after the turn is complete? any info would be greatly appreciated ,I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams for a 1960s vintage 250 spider
    Thanks
    Matt

2. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #2 Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few pics , I can't seem to get more than one up at a time
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #3 Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017
    The compressed spring is a little tall to fit in hub

4. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #4 Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017
  5. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #5 Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017
    I am not sure what the sleeve is for that is made out of a plastic wood type material,it doesn't slide past the tapered part of the shaft

6. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #6 Mattie69, Feb 25, 2017
    The copper wrapped plastic sleeve has a set screw to secure on shaft ,not sure what it's for ,is there another sleeve for the horn? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am really stumped on how this goes together and how the horn is wired

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Matt, I cannot recognize which car this is. The positive lead (or the juice as you say) goes directly to the compressor. Then, the horn button completes the circuit by grounding the compressor. There would be bronze grounding electrode inside the tube that is in your last picture, which is insulated from the tube by an insulating sleeve. When you depress the horn button, the flat bronze disk (in your first picture) contacts the aforementioned electrode and completes the circuit to the compressor. The flat disk is grounded because it is in contact with the coil spring in the first picture, which is in contact with the (grounded) steering column. Hope this helped.

BTW, you may have more responses if the moderator moved this thread to the main vintage forum.

john

8. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #8 Mattie69, Mar 2, 2017
    Thank you John for the info ,I have found out I need to do some machining on the plastic horn button to create enough space for the spring to fit,does the insulating sleeve to fit inside the end of steering wheel shaft ?the one I have slipped over the shaft but isn't large enough to get it past the tapered part of the shaft ,what is the copper wrapped plastic sleeve on the shaft in the last picture ,it looks like you can put a set screw into it to anchor it the shaft or attach a wire to it? Does it have something to do with the horn or the turn signal switch?

9. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #9 Mattie69, Mar 2, 2017
    See how the insulator slides over the shaft ,should it be smaller fit inside the end of the shaft?alsobwhat is the copper plastic sleeve for?

10. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #10 Mattie69, Mar 2, 2017
    The wire coming from the horn into the car and up to old steering colum grounds out and sounds the horn when I touch it to the steering shaft, I believe I will have to wire the horn different to make the steering wheel horn button work? Do I need to wire spring loaded pin I can attach to the colum cover That's rubs the copper plastic sleeve that rides on the steering wheel hub and when the horn button pushes the rod it grounds?

11. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    #11 Mattie69, Mar 2, 2017
    This diagram is close to what've have ,I believe the turn signal assembly is newer you can see I have the early cal Spyder type ,do I need item 27&28 ? Does that part have anything to do with the horn, which part is for turning off blinkers after you make the turn ? It might be different because my colum cover is earlier
    Thanks in advance for any advice

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #12 John Vardanian, Mar 3, 2017
    Matt, 25 and 26 show the sleeve and the electrode. This is not the best picture, but it shows these two pieces in place. The copper disk is the seat for the coil spring.

john

13. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Thank you John for the info, the part on the shaft forward of the hub,is that for turning off the turn signal after you make the turn?
    Matt

14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Yes, that is the cancellation trip.

john

15. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016