250 PF Coupe ... | Page 29 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Darren,

It's getting better and better!

Just a thought - do you think the Ferrari Market Letter would provide you the info they have on PF Coupes? Having ownership history and listing prices over the yaers could be pretty neat! Carbon, who works at FML posts here regularly.

Regards,

Art S.

2. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Art,

Thanks for the kind message......

Wait until you see the new Series 1 and 2 pages I designed at John's prompting. Much faster load times and thumbnails for every car we have found so you can easily visually choose which car you want to drill down on for more data.

Great idea re FML.....who knows Carbon or Gerald Roush well enough to ask ? I have never spoken or corresponded with either of them.

I did get a really nice email from Alan Boe yesterday offering his assistance as required and Marcel sent me a mail to say he is pleased with how the site turned out. Overall the response has been terrific and spurs me on to make it bigger and better.

The new S1 and S2 registry pages are a big step forward. I am in India right now trying to upload them over a dodgy wireless network....so it make take some time :)

Cheers

Darren.

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Carbon has "left the building". He resigned from the FML.

T308

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Darren,

There is an article in the latest Classic and Sportscar on O'Rourke. The photos in the article show your car in the background.

john

5. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Have seen it...I was having my upper dash retrimmed. Rorky did a terrific job.

Darren.

6. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Great Work Darren!

I took a look at 1751 on the Register and would like to say Thank You, and this on your fine efforts.

If you look at the 3 smaller pictures in the 1751 frame, the left one will show a white 250 GT, like yours instead of the gregio one, when enlarged.

The Consegna date, March 8, 1960, was it the date of delivery? Was my 10th Birthday. A connection that's stretching it.

http://web.mac.com/ferrari250pfcoupe/iweb/250%20PF%20Coupe%20/1751.html

Has any more information been discovered on the truth of what 1751, really is?

Ciao...Paolo

7. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Great idea re FML.....who knows Carbon or Gerald Roush well enough to ask ? I have never spoken or corresponded with either of them.
    Darren.[/QUOTE]

Darren:
    I corresponded with Mr. Roush many (30?) years ago and he was very approachable and kind to me, sent me gratis two FML articles that included listings of all the PF coupes. Do you have his two FML articles on all of the cars? He shows pics of many, including the prototypes and specials, and lists all serial numbers, dates, color codes and has a nice text that introduces this model. If not, I would be glad to make photocopies and mail them to you. But, not to India!

All the best and congratulations on making a great contribution,
    Ed

8. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Darren-I am proud that you used my car's pic to represent the series II's. Great site and I really like the way you broke it up into the different catagories including the dearly departed ones.

9. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Darren:
    I am not sure what criteria you are using for listing these cars as specials. 1007 has the usual instrument panel and the usual glove box, but the switches in the middle of the dash look very unusual. This unusual layout qualifies it as a special? The body work looks very standard. Some cars had hood scoops, others had a chrome trim running down the length of the bonnet, others had nothing (mine). Mine has a factory arm rest installed over the gearbox tunnel in place of the usual ashtray; does that qualify it as a special? It seems to me these trivial but unique features are not sufficiently important to classify them as specials, but I have no idea what criteria you should use to classify them as such. Didn't all of these cars have one or more details that were unique?
    Ed

10. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Picked it because I am a an absolute sucker for these cars in Grigio. Love em.

Darren.

11. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ed,

Good question. I am not so sure either. I have seen 1007 referenced as a speciale more often than not. Some say it is, some not....so for the sake of argument I left it in the Speciale section.

Thanks for the kind offer of the FML literature I will send you a PM with my address.

Cheers

Darren.

12. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Series 1 thumbnails now working thanks to Indian Telecom.....

Series 2 to follow...

Darren

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This is a very difficult question and factory does not provide an answer. I personally regard cars with extensive body modifications or unique original designs as specials; something to do with the DESING, not just another bolt on feature installed. IMO 1007GT is clearly a special car even if Pininfarina did not bother to document it as one. IMO the special instruments and trim required more attention than throwing in an extra headrest, arm rest, radio, sunroof or special paint.

It is also worth noticing that around 1959 or so some specials were built taking standard production parts and building cars in the same way that Mr. Fixit messes up cars in Richard Scarry's Busytown! As these cars were not drawn in the office, they were never properly documented, it seems.

1187GT is a very special case; it is listed among standard production with only a small remark "tetto superamerica". It is obvious that there are more special features than just the roof (=tetto) and the remark seems to have been made more in order to identify the car by the special roof than listing all the special features. This probably indicates that this car was probably started as a standard production car and soon picked out of line and put into a studio booth where all kinds of special features were executed.

With the documentation being very limited you must decide for yourself what car is concidered to be a special and which cars are not. Please try to do it in a way that makes sense! I think you are doing OK, so far, but I would still remove 0853GT; it was not built using a PF coupe project number and IMO belongs to Coupe Special batch consisting of 0725/0751/0841/0843/0853.

Best wishes, Kare

14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Let’s not lose sight that the greater purpose of this site is to catalogue the PF coupe-- meaning the majority of the 350 production cars. The Speciales are a byproduct of this effort.

john

15. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    John, yes I agree 100%. But one of the intriguing things about these cars is that they were built by hand by craftsmen, not by a computer operated machine. So, maybe not all of them, but it seems that most of them were a bit different here and there from others. Maybe the little variables were a function of what the customer ordered, maybe a function of what the assembler did that day, I have no idea. But, I would lobby that these little nuances in trim, guages, luggage straps vs no luggage straps, etc would not be sufficient criteria for classifying a car as a one-off special. I agree with the earlier post that more noticeable mods to the body, like fender well vents, covered headlights, big old Yosemite Sam mudflaps, etc might be more significant.
    Ed

16. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Series 2 Thumbnails now updated. That complete Registry V1.0...

Now we just need to find more unaccounted for cars.

Darren.

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    William,

It's an even better deal - it's the PF cab that failed to meet reserve at $350k last time around... ;)

Regards,

Art S.

19. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    as wc fields said...you can't cheat an honest man.

if it is too good to be true....it isn't.

tom w

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    was just perusing more of the new PF Coupe Register and was sad to see the fate of 1097 in the "deceased" section. A perfectly viable PF Coupe being parted out - from the pictures, it looks more than perfectly viable - it looks quite clean!!

21. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Bryan,

I think this one belongs to a wealthy mark enthusiast who uses it as a parts source for his racers--- too sad.

john

22. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #722 camchain, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    THAT'S IT!!! #1121. 16" wheels and drum brakes.

OK. Now, where is it, does someone know?

Ciao...Paolo

24. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    except for the headlight covers and special bumper, it could be 1421.

my car.

tom w

25. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Tom,

Yes, they are Cousins, but 1121 is pretty rough in the picture.

Met a lot of great people in the search for 1751, and that is the true treasure of the experience. My Thanks to all.

Kare, your records say that Avery Greene owned 1751 during 1970-1. It had to be 1121, because of the other criterion, 16" wheels and drum brakes, Series I, 1751 is series II, is correct.

OK, just wonder about 1121 now. Let the search begin, anyone have information on it's past and present situation? Curiosity is a strange thing, you have to scratch it at times or it makes you crazy. The hunt is on.

Ciao...Paolo