250 Tyres | FerrariChat

250 Tyres

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Mar 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Has anyone any experience of the new Pirelli 205/70VR15 Cinturato CN12 on a 250. If so could you send me some pictures to use on my web site please.

I don't think any Ferrari 250 cars actually fitted a 205/70VR15 tyre as original equipment because 70% profile tyres weren't invented till 1968. I think the 250 cars fitted 185VR16 or 185VR15 as standard road tyres. (some of the earlier cars would have been fitted with 600-16 Stella Bianchi which hopefully may come in the future)

Ferrari have always been a little over zealous with their wheel sizes. for instance the 250 GT Lusso which fitted 185R15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 tyres has a 6.5" rim, and the recommended rim size for a 185VR15 is 4.5" - 6". Ferrari carried on like this, the early Ferrari 512BB rear wheels were 9" wide and Ferrari fitted a 225/70VR15 Michelin XWX

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Correct. Many have chosen 207/70VR15 because the outside diameter is about right. Some may like the fatter look, but IMO it does not look nice at all.

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Probably makes it harder to park too !

4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    This is a long time overdue, but I've been waiting for an appropriate place to give a shout out to Longstone Tyre.

Late last year I had two flats in the new PirelliCN72s on my 330 as a result of some defective inner tubes (not from Longstone), and I contacted Longstone looking for information on what might be the cause of the failures as well as the cost and availability of replacements.

I talked and emailed Dougal and after a short explanation on sizing I ordered the correct Michelin tubes. I ordered my tube on Monday at 4PM (west coast) and received my tubes Wednesday morning and had them fitted to the car the day after. Oh, and he included a fifth tube at no cost in the shipment.

Incredibly impressive service by any standard.
    - thanks Dougal.

6. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    Hello. We have the CN12 on the 250.
    Personally for me, they give the wrong Vintage look to the car which is what I'm after.
    I'll be replacing them with MichelinX 185x380 this week.
    Regards, Robert

7. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Robert

Before you take the CN12 off your car, i don't suppose i could have a picture could i? I'd like to put it on my web site and/or in an advert. We can fudge out your number plate if you like.

Incidentally the CN12 is a 1971 tread pattern. https://www.cinturato.net/pirelli-cinturato-cn12

I am concerned about your 185x380 Michelin X: Michelin for some time couldn't bare to deal with inches so instead of calling a tyre a 185X15 they used the millimetric description 185SR380. I think your tyre is very old. The last time Michelin had any stock of their Michelin X was 7 - 10 years ago; and i bought all their stock because they were getting old. I sold them to the Rover P5 club as new old stock. However they were called 185SR15 (not 380) so i dread to think how old your tyres are.

currently the only proper classic tyres in the size 185VR15 are

185VR15 Michelin XVS brilliant asymetric tyres. XVS is later '70s development of their 1965 XAS tyre. for straight line driving the asymetric carcase and tread pattern improves directional stability.

185VR15 Avon Turbosteel i haven't been able to find out when Avon started making these tyres, i think 1970 but it could be late '60s. They are pretty good but not really appropriate to a Ferrari, and there are better suited tyres available.

185VR15 Dunlop SP Sport came out in 1968. Ferrari did fit these but these are not currently made by Dunlop they are made else where with the Dunlop name on the side wall. Not a bad tyre but again you would just fit Michelin or Pirelli

185VR15 Dunlop SP Sport is what i would fit. It is also what Ferrari fitted.

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The Turbosteels are such supple tires, too bad they lack in curb appeal. I miss the times I had with them.

john

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    We do have the original 185VR16 Cinturato CA67 HS and the 185VR15 Cinturato CA67 HS that suit the majority of 250 cars on the shelf.

We have just recieved a fresh delivery of 205/70VR15 Cinturato CN12 that just came in from Pirelli last week.

The really good news is that on the same lorry from Pirelli last week, we got the first delivery of the 165HR400 Cinturato CA67 that also fitted some of the early 250GT cars. This tyre hasn't been made for a good few years now so it is really good news for people that have cars on 400mm Borranni wheels as it is the only tire made for a 400mm wheel with a H speed rating.

The 165HR400 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ was an option on these models, and while i write this we updateing tghese pages to hopefully explain the fitment accurately, so if you notice any mistakes please let me know
    Ferrari 250 GT Coupe Pininfarina
    Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet
    Ferrari 250 GT California
    Ferrari 250 GT Tour De France

10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #10 Longstone Tyres, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stop the press. this very exciting news for 250 owners!!

Pirelli are again making the 175HR400 CA67 that was fitted as an option to some of your cars. 175HR400 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 | Longstone Tyres

Borrani made special 400mm wheels for
    https://www.borrani.com/ferrari-wheels/250-gt-cabriolet-s1.html
    https://www.borrani.com/ferrari-wheels/250-pininfarina-coupe.html
    https://www.borrani.com/ferrari-wheels/250-gt-lwb-tdf.html
    And i think the SWB 250 California (looking at this has just brought up a hole in our Borrani site thyat we will fix.

Also it is worth pointing out that these tyres are not as yet listed on the Borrani web site because they're just too darn new.

I should have them in a few weeks so please feel free to place back orders.

to be frank, i am not expecting an explosion of orders for this tyre, the main drive for production was the Lancia Flaminia Coupe, but the did fit the SV model of the Alfa 2600, and they did fit a few Ferrari, and i suppose it is something that would be cool and extraordinary on a concourse car.

However, they will also be a good tyre, It will still after all be a Cinturato.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I beleive that Someone has contacted Lucas tyres to discuss the new 175HR400 and was told that Pirelli were not planning on making this tyre.

Sorry to say; this news is so new Russ on the phones didn't know about the tyre which i believe he now knows is coming so you can order them from them now. Though it isn't as yet on their web site. Pirelli Cinturato

Dougal