308 Plug Wires for Dummies | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Plug Wires for Dummies

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Nov 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi all..

Hey I was looking at the Kingsborne site and it's pretty complete. If you enter under Category, Wire sets, Ferrari, it lists all kind of sets for specific models. It even explains that some sets come directly from Italy and gives Ferrari PN references!

2. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Can you explain a little more about the "Metal clips"? Is that the little clip thing down inside the extender that fits over the plug tip? If it is, sometimes they don't "clip" all the way down and are loose hence a bad connection and bad performance. They need to be pushed hard down onto the plug tip for a good connection.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Holy thread resurrection after 14 years! That was three Ferraris ago for me... ;)

4. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    Great post! I hadn’t realized that there were so many differences in plug wires until trying to find a suitable substitute for the OEM Cavas wires, and it sounds like the originals weren’t that great.

I just want wires that’ll work well in an ‘81 GTSi (2V injected w/electronic ignition). Did your GT4 have points, or electronic ignition?

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks! I can’t believe this was almost 18 years ago…

Yes, my GT4 was converted to electronic ignition.

85MondialQV likes this.
  6. JonathonTate

JonathonTate Rookie

Feb 15, 2022
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Tate
    What wires did you decide? Currently replacing mine with the 8mm Accel 4040R kit but having issues getting them to fit without trimming them significantly. Wanted to find a 7mm kit preferably.

7. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    On the earlier V12 engines especially the inside plug engines I solder the center wire to the plug connector. Since there is a tendency for someone to just yank on the wire and pull the wire out of the terminal. I use the Packard 440 solid center conductor wires that solder easy. When inserting some wire brands into the cap there is a chance that the screw point may miss the center wire altogether. If the wire insulation is cut back about 3/8 of an inch and folded back then inserted the chance of missing the center wire is eliminated.