308 V12 conversion begins | Page 165 | FerrariChat

308 V12 conversion begins

Discussion in '308/328' started by mk e, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I will happily donate mine, for shipping costs. It needs a repaint I think and a used older K&N can be included. Let me know if you go this way.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks Bert! PM sent

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #4103 mk e, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh the horor....I just realized the clowns at ferrari put 2 horses on the 288 GTO engine. Crazy!

(I still may leave it off....you'll have to stay tuned ;) )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think it’s actually too narrow, a bit too short and the filter is too small….I’ve got some pretty big TBs and an engine that will be wanting a LOT of air. 2 of the 308 filters are probably too small to but I’m thinking I can put 4 filters in 2 modified housings, or maybe fins a different element to stuff into the modified housings…..but the covers that sit on top will look correct and stock.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    lol - nice spot. :D

I personally wouldn't go for a chrome one on the engine as I'd be worried about what happens to chrome finishes when they get really hot... not sure if there are different types of chrome, but the ones I've seen go a little bubbly and tarnished in extreme heat. I'd probably go for a duller and more durable finish, but would definitely but a little horse on it somewhere. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Subtle works....

But that's OK, your bling'd out chrome cavallino with the purple neon underglow will look nice too!! (I have to remember the wiring for that when I build the harness...).
    You could gold plate it... and get one on your front tooth to match!!
    <ducking, running for cover>
    <Paul made me do it>
    <grin>

Rick

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    ...bling doesnt. Cheapens it I think. BUT if I think about that blinged out yellow boxer, I could buy that car cheap because of the horses, pry the horses off, sell them and recover enough money to restore the car properly!

9. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    #4109 jratcliff, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I could always wire edm you a polished stainless steel horsey like I did for my motec unit. I pre-drilled the back of the plate and then edm'd the horse out. :)

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. rickyrybo

rickyrybo Rookie

Feb 4, 2009
    Bellport, NY
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Though this is certainly one of the most interesting threads I've enjoyed on this site, does anyone know what happened to the original 308 V-12 conversion from the mid 1980's?
    Rick.

11. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    This is the one.

Mike's been working on it since the mid 80's... :)

Kai

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It's been mentioned, with links, earlier in this thread, with pictures, IIRC

13. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley

Nope, Mark's is the 2nd one being documented. The one I believe he is speaking of was done by David Goldsmith. I'm one of the crazy folks who actually paid for his documentation and have it here in a 3 ring binder. I think it was around 1985 or at least thats when he corresponded with Enzo about the project.

Did anyone ever have final pictures of David's conversion? He was living out here on the West coast in Burlingame, CA. I wonder if he or the car are still around here???

Rick

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I did a final thread clean-up. I welcome anyone to contact me offline.

Mark and I had a good conversation offline. I bounced a few ideas off him to improve FerrariChat.

In the future on a case by case basis we'll consider P&R only temp bans. If a user is following our rules elsewhere in FerrariChat, but just lost their head in P&R then we can give a P&R only temp ban.

We are also working on a program to reward those like Mark that create and update project threads like this one. I have a message out to lvferraripilot right now to pilot this program.

You will be missed Mark. I wish you the best.