348 dead cylinder - burnt valve? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 dead cylinder - burnt valve?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gidge348, Dec 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Urrgghh!!! So he is one ugly dude then?? :p:p

His looks must match his workmanship!! ;);)

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Ugly one?????

Thats a picture of Dave and I at Ferrari school.

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I thought it was. ;);)

4. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Who is who in that picture? From the looks of your shirts, one guy is doing all the work, the other guy is awfully clean. :)

5. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Thanks for all your replies I hope I have answered everyone on PM, if not pleased let me know, computer dropped on its head today not sure if I lost any.

Sorry for being a coward and not naming publically but after 30 years running my own business's & dealing with everything form 5c photocopies to multi mil subdivisions I have learnt that....

No-one "in their right mind" wants to be involved in litigation but unfortunately not everyone is ...... "in their right mind"

6. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Mate, we all understand you've been hurt enough over this I'm sure no one faults you for being careful about whether this bodge merchant does you wallet further damage.

These guys cause the marque's reputation no end of damage as the car gets the blame for a new owner's bad experience.

Hope you're back to enjoying it very soon.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That should be obvious.

I am the smart one so I have convinced Dave to do all the work.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gee Dave is taller than I remember...

9. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #59 gidge348, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As they say on MythBusters......... There's Ya Praablaaaam.....

Now the question is why?

Head Gasket seemed fine, head is going to be pulled apart Monday checking all guides seats valves etc, so may get some answers there.

Still has cats and air injection fitted, (these may be come redundant shortly.)

Am having injectors tested Monday as well.

The intake cam on that bank was retarded aprox 18degrees I know this is not good, but can't think of a scenario as how or if this would burn an exhaust valve? Any suggestions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Gidge,
    Anything showing on piston crown or liner?
    Could you post a pic of the matching pot?

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Bloody hell!! :eek::eek:

Burnt exhaust valve......

It obviously had a 'hot spot' there that caused it to burn. The source of that hot spot is what you need to find out. :D:D

Incorrect valve clearance? Valve seat worn creating the hot spot. Something like that I reckon. :D:D

Get that head apart and inspect brother. :):)

12. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #62 gidge348, Jan 9, 2009
    Pics as requested single bore pic is #2 (burnt Valve) two bores are 2&3 for comparison (#2 on the right)

Bore & crown seems unmarked, spots on crown & bore in pic are water.

Liners appear unmarked, hone marks still visible in most of the bore other that the top 10mm in line with top ring at TDC. No evidence of dammage to bore coating that I can see no evidence of lip in top of bore.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Slam a new exhaust valve in it and you are back in business mate! :D:D

14. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    May be a case of just a new valve and off we go, but really want to find out what casused the valve burning.

If I could find a bad (lean) injector, or bad guide or seat that would make me a lot happier.

As a wise old race car engineer (or mechanics as we used to call them) I worked with many, many years ago said.

"Stuff doesent just break, there is always a reason, the hard part isn't fixing it, it's finding a reason why..."

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Dont worry mate, thats the fun part! :D:D

I hope you find something too mate!! :):)

16. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #66 gidge348, Jan 9, 2009
    Maybe I should not have been so hard on "Enzos Brother" that put in the cam belt.

Just thinking about it, I think what he probaly did was copy what was there and put the new belt in the same position without checking anything. Bit unprofessional but that was about it, mind you the attitude was not good.

The belt was changed once before in Hong Kong at a VERY big dealership there and I have found some of their handy work today. The rear cam belt cover plastic was falling to bits and was held together with big dolops of rock hard Araldite that did not stick. I would hate to see what happenend if they dropped into the belts at 7500 rpm.

The only other major work the Hong Kong dealers did was the clutch and that rattles now so that is the next job.

17. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    #67 Modeler, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Completely agree with your greybeard wrench mate. Was wondering if we'd see evidence for a small bit of spark plug passing through but apparently not.
    Guess the next is disassemble that valve and see whats what there.
    At least the job is looking less expensive by the post.
    Well the top end bit anyway. Good luck with the clutch.

Do you have access to a bosch injector test pump?

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds like it could be lack of grease in the flywheel. :):)

Would have been nasty if that Araldite fell into that area at big RPM!! Think.........hand grenade if it tore that cam belt up! :D:D

Lucky you caught that too mate. :):)

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I can't think of any reason that a valve would burn like that, with no other symptoms, in the number of miles you have reported. My guess would be that the engine swallowed something (maybe a spark plug electrode?) and it got between that valve and the seat and put a nick in the valve. It will be interesting to see if you find any damage to the seat (other than burn marks).

20. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #70 gidge348, Jan 9, 2009
    When I first was the the valve I thought FOD but on closer inspection I can not (obviously) see and coresponding marks on the seat as though something has gone through.

Most burnt valves I have had to deal with have been rounded and triangular going wide at the seat to narrow at the stem. But this has the classic oxy torch look, so I am assuming it has been in there for a while.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    From my experience, that looks like a burnt valve. I dont think anything has gone through there. :):)

But ya never know. Burnt valves can happen in a few ways and have different temps affect them. :):)

But I am stil leaning towards a burnt valve in those pics. I would love to inspect the valve up close to get a better look. Perhaps take the valve to a few engine/machine shops and have them inspect when you remove it mate? They will soon give you their opinion. :):)

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    like this. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138320646&postcount=56

23. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari workmanship on valve jobs is spotty at best. We see too thin, too thick and inconsistant valve seat faces all the time. Also as a possible cause is a long run with too tight valve clearance. There are many things which could have caused it which will be impossible or too much trouble to find now and will just delay you from getting it running again.

Put some valves in it seating properly, with proper spring pressure, adjust them properly and put that thing together and quit sitting there scratching your chin.
    Once it is running you can test for a proper running cylinder since the compression has been restored and the car will be fine. If the possibility really bothers you send the injectors out for service while the motor is apart.

What you are doing is called in some circles "Polishing the Cannon Ball". It is not advancing progres to the goal.

25. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Fair call on the “Polishing the cannon balls” comment, probably comes from the getting a bit anal in my old age.
    Remember racing midgets in the 70’s and melting a piston in qualifying. So punched the old one out had a quick look around & slapped it back together. Was leading the feature on the 47th lap of 50 and….. kaboom, same piston. Later found it was a small piece of rubber had come off the inside of an injector line and was occasionally blocking that injector. Not quite in the same rush now so happy to look around, check and see if anyone has ideas before putting it together for the once and hopefully only time.
    Will make a point of checking consistency of valve seat faces…. cheers