348 Engine Cover Cleaning and Care | FerrariChat

348 Engine Cover Cleaning and Care

Discussion in '348/355' started by goose22b, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hello all,

Just purchased a new to me 1990 348 this week, and I had a couple questions about proper care for some of the pieces on the car. The attached photo shows the two areas I need to learn more about!

I posted this in the detailing forum, but thought you all would have more experience with the 348 specifically.

1. The engine lid cover has a black piece on it with a matte type finish. I have no idea if this is painted metal or a plastic panel. The appearance looks a little mottled, and went over it with some Griot's speed shine, and it returned quickly to a matte finish, but still slightly mottled looking. Is this supposed to be matte, or should I be putting something on it to UV protect and clean it up? What do you all recommend for care in this area?
    2. The covers over the rear lights are also a matte paint finish right now. What is recommended for these bars?
    Put some wax on it last night and it was a deep black shine during application, then a lighter satin finish once it dried and was rubbed off. Is this how it's supposed to look, or should I be looking for a product that keeps that deep rich shine?

Appreciate all the knowledge and tips!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    First off, congrats on the purchase! More details and pics! Hot tip: When you upload an image, you can click on "insert full" next to where the image is uploaded, and it will put the full size image in the post.

My rear louvers are pretty nice, but the engine lid is a bit of a mystery to me too. there's definitely water spotting on it. Mine seems glossier than yours, so I used turtle wax detail spray specifically for black cars. It seemed to work.

sjd.

3. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thanks for the welcome and picture tip. I'll need to do a full write-up and intro! I have some plastic exterior trim restore that I use on my wife's Rav4 unpainted bumpers. I'll give that a shot on the black engine cover piece tonight, and let you all know.

4. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    They're supposed to be a satin black. As far as specific % gloss, I'm not sure. Bradan Ferrari, who has done a number of concours restorations, and recently a 348, could probably tell you. Yours do look a bit on the dull and oxidized side, along with the black lower trim section.

5. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just to close the loop, used Meguiar's back to black, and it seemed to work on the rear bars really well. Brightened them up and restored the look quite well. It also helped with the look of the top of the engine cover, but left a slightly greasy finish. Never seen this product do this before, so it's a little new to me. Hopefully that fades soon. I did end up using a lot of product though to ensure even coverage.