348 Front wheels make horrible sound!!!! Please help | FerrariChat

348 Front wheels make horrible sound!!!! Please help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by potxoli, Jun 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Hi Guys,

(I posted this in the 348 forum, but the thread is getting a lot of views, hoping for some better luck here)

I went driving yesterday for the longest drive yet in the car since I've owned it. I drove it about 50 miles yesterday and around 80 miles since I got the car 1 month ago.

On my way away from home, the front left wheel started slightly squeeking at speed, but would stop when I turned the wheel to the right a bit or braked.

On my way back in the second part of the trip, both wheels started squealing when driving it and they got LOUD. I could clearly hear them squeal at 70mph with the windows up, the AC on max and the engine at 4000rpm.

They stop squealing if I apply the brakes.

When I pulled up in the alley near my house and went really slow, I could hear how there is something making noise once per rotation since the sound goes something like squeal, silence, squeal, silence etc.

Other item of information: Right before this happened I changed wheels to 355 wheels with brand new tires. The tires were mounted and balanced by a reputable shop in my area. I get a very slight vibration in the steering wheel, when I let go of it in the freeway it vibrates maybe 1/4" up and down.

I suspect the brakes somehow. Could warped rotors make this sound? Odd though that it would happen to both sides so quickly.

Thanks for the help,

-Eric

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    My 1st question is what is different from the old wheels/tires to the new ones . Also I would reinstall the old wheel/tires and see if you still have the noise. If you did not have this condition before the wheel change then something happened with the new wheels. Also if the rotors are warped you should be able to see this when you look at them. Are the new wheels "hub centric" and mounted correctly. As for the vibration this can be a balance problem but if the tire mounter did it right it should not be a problem. You may want them to rebalance them and also check to see if the wheels are straight. Another check is to see if the tires are "round" and not a problem of the belts seperating. I would start back with the tire folks and the wheels.

3. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Just put new tires on mine and balancing weights hit calipers and something else on one wheel. Rebalanced and ok now.

4. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    thanks guys. Ok I will try going back to the tire shop. They apparently have a on car wheel balancer. Good to know that people think that is more likely than some issue with the brakes.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Good posts above from RMDC and Steve King. Nice job, gentlemen.

6. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    so I got off the phone with the tire guy and he says he's seen this several times with ferrari's and porsches where it is a mounting problem and that the tire he thinks is spinning on the rim itself since the rim is can be quite slick inside. Sounds strange to me, but he swears he's seen it happen and this guy has been around for years, is the owner of the shop and the shop has a great reputation.

They have a machine to balance the tires while still on the car as well to get perfect balance.

So he is going to remount the tires, fix the slipping issue and balance everything tomorrow. I'll report back if that fixed the problem

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When the tire guy says it's fixed, take him for a ride and listen for the problem, that way if it's still there, he'll know what it sounds like and he'll have a better idea of what's causing it.
    Years ago, I had a tire-wheel shop put some aftermarket wheels on an old Vette ,they had the offsett wrong and the wheels were rubbing against the caliper all the way home-3 miles or so! I couldn't even turn the wheel by hand ! (they never checked) Spacers were needed and they left them off.

8. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    I'll double check. Wheels were fine when I first put them on and spun freely. Given they are stock 355 wheels that I'm putting on a 348 and tons of people have done that, I can't imagine something rubbing is the problem

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    From your description of the problem, I think the tire store manager is heading in the wrong direction. It doesn't sound to me like a tire problem at all. Are you sure you got your lug bolt situation corrected? I would make very, very, very sure that you do NOT have a rubber brake hose or a metal brake line rubbing on the wheel.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The tire guy says the front tires are rotating (slipping) on the rims while you are driving along.

Mark tire and wheel with a crayon or marker and go for a good drive. if he's right the marks should shift so they don't line up.

Then take a picture and post it here.

This I have got to see!

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #11 fatbillybob, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen the slipping issue with race tires run at race speeds. So it is possiblem but not likely. The cryaon/shoepolsih method will verify and prevent you from needing to remount... just rebalance. It sounds like you got two problems 1) vibration and 2) squeel. The noise can be wheel bearing or brake disc drag.

Cars not driven regularly can have pistons work but freeze a bit in the calipers and the not release completely and then make noise. You can revive frozen caliper pistons which are not completely frozen. What you need to do is put a screw driver into the the back of the caliper and pry aginst the pad to drive the piston back into the caliper just like you do before you change your brakes. Then you need to step on your brakes to reseat the brake pads. Now go for a drive.

see the picture wedge between the rotor and the pad surface the pad should push the piston in with less than say 5-10lbs of constant pressure.

You should also wiggle the top and sides of the wheel/rotor to feel for loose bearings and free spinning of the wheels AFTER the pads have been retracted. Any noise or grindning = bad bearings. Any play = bad bearings.

as to vibration the guy need to read the instructions for his balancing machine. Sometimes the guys just balace your wheel without enterning the diameter and width which the machine uses to calculate the balance. The wheel is balanced in the x and y axis. If you don't put these numbers in which many do not you are then only static balancing in one plane. He will tell me I am full of BS. I will say to him he is lazy. This is why I can balance my race tires with a bubble balance as good as any tire shop except the very best who balance wheels with precision.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If fatbollybob's fix doesn't get rid of the noise then I would check two things.

1) make sure that the wheel bolts haven't gone so far in that they are rubbing the wheel hub.

2) check the condition of the wheel bearing

I had a NASTY scrapping noise in both my rear wheels, at different times. The problem turned out to be bad connecting axle flange in both instances. The ring nut that holds it in place was not tightened down properly, resulting in the flange getting loose and getting ruined. It allowed the wheel to wobble, and in the first case, one of the bolts that holds the rear bearing in place was scrapping against the wheel hub.

13. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    you guys rock! I have more than enough things to try and fix the problem. I like the crayon idea, I'll try it on my drive over to the tire place. Just now I lifted one of the wheels off the ground and spun it manually. It spun easily, there was no noise or binding or scraping that I could hear. I noticed nothing rubbing against it anywhere.

14. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    my lug bolt issue was in the back and these are the front wheels. I re-used stock 348 lug bolts on the front

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Haha!! Agree, not going to happen. :):)
    Race cars do it all the time, have seen it before myself, so FBB is right there. :):)

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Wow!! :):) Nothing going on there? Was the car/brakes/wheel cooled down when you spun it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, this could be a heat/speed related issue? Something is heating up, expanding and causing this noise down the road. Wouldnt be wheel bearings, as the noise would be there the whole time. The noise goes away when you brake, then it seems like a brake issue IMO. How old is the brake fluid in the car Eric? I have seen pistons in calipers stick when hot, causing the same issue. The brakes simply squeal on the rotor because the pistons are sticking due to heat/swollen seals in caliper ect......Strange eh? You would think that car would suffer from brake drag and be sluggish, but I never noticed any in the cars I drove with this issue. The customer would always complain that it only does this, when the car was hot. Never when cold. Strange, but without having the car in front of me, then thats all I can come up with at this point in time mate. :)

17. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Are the 355 wheels wider than the 348 wheels in front? If so, wouldn't you be missing a half inch or so of lug thread?

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I think the wheel hub thickness is the same ND, so you can reuse the same bolts im sure. :):)

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

348 stock bolts in the front are 55mm under the head.

355 stock bolts in the front are 52mm under the head.

I kinda doubt 3mm is making this noise. Is there any visible wear on the hub from using these bolts? My vote is brakes/pads/rotors or something in that vicinity.

20. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Hey Pap! This could be it, in that yes, the car was bone cold when I turned the wheels manually, and the noise happened during my longest drive yet on a very hot day and got worse and worse. No idea how old then fluid is, at a minimum 1 year old based on the history, but likely more

OK. game plan is to still have the tire store take a look and rebalance. if the noise doesn't happen on the way there, I'll take long drive back, use the brakes a lot and see if it happens again.

btw, you ARE a good man pap :) :)

21. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    agree it seems very far fetched, especially on front wheels since there is no power on them. But the guy does have good credentials, has been in the business for decades and is well known by the competizione guys who told me he was one of the best. So who knows...

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Haha!! :p:p
    Sounds good mate. Get it nice and hot, if there noise is still there, then investigate when its hot. Be sure not to burn your hands on anything though. The rotor and calipers get VERY hot, so you may have to wear some gloves ect..... ;):)
    And be sure to flush that brake fluid out too Eric, it should be done every year anyways. :):)

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I dont doubt him, but I dont think I have ever come across it on a street car EVER! Maybe he has, I dont know? :):) Race cars are totally understandable, as they brake VERY hard around the track ect..... :):)
    Get them checked out anyways mate, he sounds like he knows his sh*t. :):)

24. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Took the car to the tire place. Noise and vibration were just as bad on the way there. He lifted the car and put a wheel spinner against one of the front wheels, and what became obvious is that the wheel was wobbling on its axis a little bit. He said this was pushing the rotor against the caliper and that caused the noise and vibration.

The wheels are supposedly true since they did not wobble when they balanced the tires on them on their machine, so it is something about getting them properly on the hub.

He said he knew exactly how to fix it, is keeping the car overnight and will fix it early tomorrow. He is going to examine/fix all 4 wheels.

I hope all goes well and that the fact that I drove about 60-70 miles on a wobbly wheel that vibrated things a bit doesn't cause other problems.

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me.