360: how is the "new closed clutch position" determined? | FerrariChat

360: how is the "new closed clutch position" determined?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 24000rpm, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I have several 360s and each one of them have a different "new closed clutch position".

While scratching my head, i wonder if they are different right out of the factory or somehow we need to adjust this number along the way of clutch wearing out? ( my understanding is that I shouldn't change this number in the whole life of the car)

Reason why im asking is that one of my 360s was really beaten up with parameters in the TCU in chaos. For example, the PIS is 2.3 and self-calibrated closed clutch position = 15.xx and the new closed clutch position = 16.45.

I understand that is not right and the new clutch position must be always equal or less than the calibrated position. I also understand the wear percentage is calculated based on the above-mentioned 2 parameters. I also understand early 360's PIS cannot be adjusted and other parameters has to been fiddled with to make the clutch work right, I am guessing it is the "new closed clutch position"?

Voicy's website didn't mention how this "new closed clutch positoin" came into being.

And, what parameters are for long and short term fuel trims in the SD2/leonardo?

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    The "new closed clutch position" value is entered into the TCU when a new clutch is installed.

There are three fuel trim parameters presented for each bank. I'm totally frazzled after a 14 hour stint in the workshop so can only quote the Leonardo description as that was the tool I used last.

- High Load Multiplicative Adaption
    - Low Load Multiplicative Adaption
    - Current Multiplicative Adaption

Both High and Low Load are LTFT. The Current is the STFT.

SD2/3 descriptions are very similar.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Hi, thank you for chiming in.
    When a new clutch is installed, how do I know what value to enter the "clutch configuration"?

4. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    The clue is in the name - you should enter the closed clutch position of the new clutch.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i see, its the "self-calibrated closed clutch position"

6. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I wanted to bump this up and ask if there is anyone that really understands this. From what I have read, you are supposed to measure the value and input it when installing a new clutch. If you have a car that this may not have been done correctly, and is shifting unsatisfactorily, is this another value in addition to PIS that can be manipulated to achieve better performance? There is also talk of the PIS settings being between 4-5mm, however there are people that have this set well below 4mm to get the right behavior. Could this be because the new clutch closed position is incorrect?

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#7 24000rpm, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    after all these years, I think I understood what it really means.
    my english is limited, but i'll try to explain.

when you install a new clutch or whatever component is replaced between the engine crankshaft and transmission input shaft, all data between these were changed.

so, the monitoring system(ecu's) are looking at a whole new set of data.

if you replace everything mechanical, new flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate,
    you need to set everything as "new" and your clutch wear = 0% ( 100% left)

ecu relies on 2 values to determine what this percentage of wear is.

1st value is the closed clutch position the car detects on its own ( like a sensor, robot). On leonard , sometimes it is called "self-calibrated closed clutch position"
    2nd value is the new closed clutch position that you input on your own (an arbitrary number, or say, what ever number you want to put in there!)

the 1st value is always there after you put new parts in and hookup the battery. It is a value to be read from SD2/leonardo.

So you need to see what this 'detected' value is. Say it is 17.5. Now, you want to put 17.5 to your "new closed clutch position" so that you got 0% wear. ( [17.5-17.5]/new clutch thickness =0, so wear = 0). If you put something other than 17.5, you'll get all kinds of wear value , depending on what you input. example: if you put 16.5 in there, you'll get negative wear, which is mechanically impossible and obviously wrong. please be advised that the "new clutch thickness" is where I could be wrong, but not very far from truth.

That should be the standard procedure on a new clutch job.

let's say you installed a known used clutch(with known wear of 10% or 90% left) to replace your really worn clutch(with wear of 70%), you need to input a "new closed clutch position" value of, say, 18.5. so that 18.5-17.5=1 and this "1" divided by new clutch thickness should equal to 10%(or 90% left). how do you know if this is 10%? you look it up in SD2/leonardo, it will tell you. If you got 12%(or 88% left) wear, you should maybe change the value to 18.3 and see if it changed to 10%.

This should be the correct way to install a used clutch.

its not like any one's going to install a used clutch like I did anyways, so its moot point.

anyway, gurus please correct where I fail.

Thanks to many poeple on this board, and , my own brain and my several sleepless nights

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#8 24000rpm, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    by the way, I don't think set the wrong "new closed clutch position" is detrimental to your car, nor does it wear the clutch faster. This was my observation, may not be correct.

in leonardo , when you set the "new closed clutch position", on the screen it doesn't read "new closed clutch position". i reads set "closed clutch position" without the "new".

THat's where I was confused until my last post when voicy enlightened me.

9. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So basically what you are saying, is that this is a useless parameter, except to change right before you sell your car so that it looks like it has a new clutch (guessing that someone did that to mine before I bought it). Mine currently has a position value greater than the "new" value but it doesn't seem worth fixing if it isn't used for any of the shift maps.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I do think you are right. but im not 100% sure