400i and 2 alternators | FerrariChat

400i and 2 alternators

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by YorkieV12, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Just stripping out the engine bay for engine and autobox removal....and find that the mounting bolt on the lower alternator is seized solid into the alt. body. Leave it alone until the engine is out......but one hell of a problem if the car was only in for a service. So, when it all goes back together Plan A will be to fit a single high output alternator instead of the upper 55amp. Not worried about 'originality' when a future problem can be eliminated. I don't see any problem with this 'fix'..........surely someone has been there and done it already ? ? Yes ?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    It may not be as simple as just replacing the stock 55A upper alternator with a higher amperage alternator as the stock V-belt system (using the smallish Gates 7M V-belt) doesn't have a lot of design margin (as proven during the 308 to 308i evolution) -- however, it was the correct original design choice because using bigger alternator V-belts would just increase the HP loss. If it was a situation of going from 55A to 65A, I'd go with "probably OK", but I wouldn't be hopeful that you could go from 55A to 110A. JMO.

Maybe I'm wrong, and others will be able to post their experience, but please do let us know how it works out.

Edit: Don't have access to the 400i schematic at the moment, but another factor may be the gauge of the wires going from the alternators to the battery -- if the same gauge as used on a (single alternator) TR = no problem. If significantly smaller = could be an issue.

3. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve is correct. I changed the upper alternator to a larger one but it would destroy the belt on a regular basis. I went back to the old alternator but added adjustable voltage regulators that seemed to allow the units to come up to voltage at lower RPMs.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I believe the two alternator wires combine into one just inside the hood closure on the left side in front of the air filter box (400i). I am not sure but I think the combined wire is same as each individual, why would you need heavier wire in Italy?!?!
    Ken

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari engineers never really had a firm grasp of electricity until a few years ago.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that's a bit of an odd design decision ;) The individual wire sizes are OK for 55A alternators, but the same size for two is marginal.

Mark -- What current level (single) alternator did you try?

7. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm not sure. It was a while ago. I do remember it was from a truck. I had to build a custom bracket for it.

I put a really small pulley on to build voltage early. That may be why it kept eating bellts.

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No good reason reason to convert to a single alternator, the dual alternator system works well, Ferrari used Bosch Alternators, they are reliable and parts are readily available to rebuild them if necessary
    The 2 alternators provide redundancy in case of a belt failure.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed, I like having two because a back-up is handy.

10. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Thanks all, for the good advice, I'll take it. Two it is then, not wanting to re-invent the volt.!

11. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    Do you have the Bosch Part numbers by any chance?

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have had on 2-3 occasions been on a long drive with AC on, with or without lights and wipers and when I stop I have a dead battery. Thee ae other posts about this but two 45 (?) Amp alternators are marginal for this car. Look at the power load: 3 fans, two fuel pumps, AC fan(s) and then add in lights and wipers and it is easy to come up close to 90 amps.

I am contemplating finding a 60 or higher AMP alternator to replace the top one, where the small belt wrap around is nearly 270 degree. Can anyone suggest an alternator, Bosch part #?
    Ken

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you sure that both alternators are working well? Can't say that there's anything wrong with your math, and the system doesn't have a lot of design margin, but has that been a widely reported problem for 400i?

What voltage do you measure at the battery terminals under different conditions? Say:

1. idle, no other electrics "on"

2. ~2500 RPM, no other electrics "on"

3. idle with AC "on", headlights "on", wipers "on"

4. ~2500 RPM with AC "on", headlights "on", wipers "on"

I wouldn't be totally freaked out if #3 was marginal, but if #4 isn't good = that needs help/repair IMO.