456 under rear seat subwoofers | FerrariChat

456 under rear seat subwoofers

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by nettwerkjohn, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    Hi guys

Anyone know what size these are. diameter,pcd would help.

Ricambi are out of stock, and i'd like to replace them both with something a little better.

Thanks in advance

John

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    When I replaced the two door speakers in my 456 I removed them, brought them to the nearest car audio shop and had them find suitable replacements - both in terms of size, shape and technical specs. They weren't difficult to match to units that they had promptly available on the shelf.

I took out the original speakers (they were shot!) in the morning and had everything buttoned back up by mid-afternoon, door cards and all.

I'd imagine you can do the same with the two under-seat units.

3. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Wait, these cars have subs under the back seats? Was that OEM? If mine has them, they're not making a sound.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Are you sure this is original Ferrari equipment? I have never heared about this before...

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
  6. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    Yup, that's the ones. The one on the passenger side is shot, so I wondered if anyone knew what size they are so I can pre order them to minimise my downtime.

7. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #7 166&456, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    These are powered by the main amplifier for extra power and bass. Technically I would not really call them subwoofers though, at least not exactly in the sense most people look at subwoofers. They make up a two-way system with speakers (14) with a lower crossover frequency relative to normal two-way systems. It's well thought out - because of the position of the speaker it would be awkward to also let it cover the lower half of the midrange, so they only let it cover lower frequencies, hence the sub designation. As a bonus it's then possible to extract more bass. Before replacing it, first see what's wrong, often speakers can be fixed or it's something else than the speaker. If replacement is imminent look for original. If aftermarket, look at a woofer that is intended for larger excursion and a lower top frequency spectrum. Also look for comparable "stiffness" of the motor system.

The system as a whole has a good quality to it especially for the time.