488 GTB Spider trip and impressions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 GTB Spider trip and impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KasedyT

KasedyT Karting

Aug 23, 2006
    NY
    Anybody else having these issues with sqeaking? I have a spider ordered and they should start building any day now but this is concerning.

2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I have a coupe and there is no squeaking whatsoever under any driving conditions.
    Beautiful from any perspective and a beast on the road.

3. BiancoAvus

BiancoAvus Rookie

Feb 23, 2017
    to add to this discussion that have been debated till death...
    i have owned 458 italia and collected my 488 Spider a week ago.

As objective as I can possibly be:
    1. 488 looks better than 458
    2. 488 driver displays & interior better than 458
    3. 458 has definitely alot more audio presence. IMO, 458 high pitch metallic shriek.
    impossible not to wake up neighbourhood especially when I drive to tennis early 7am on weekends. 488 a lot more quieter when normal driving.
    in fact, can hardly hear it if you potter around less than 2Krpm.
    bad thing? My neighbours would disagree.
    above 4Krpm, 488 more of a deep throated growl.
    4. 488 more linear acceleration. can't really describe it, its like power alot more easily accessible. so for me in sunny Singapore, easier to drive in city conditions. Have not tried it for long roads, high speeds in my neighbouring country up north, so jury still out.
    Definitely city driving, 488 better.
    5. had the same daytona full electric seats (my config very similar for both cars), have to say the new Daytonas def better made than my 458 daytona.

in summary, for audio aficionados, 488 not quite there as 458, but in all other aspects,
    wouldn't change my 488 for a 458.
    oh, with roof down, 488 still turns heads and very happy waves from others, in fact more so than a 458!

4. BiancoAvus

BiancoAvus Rookie

Feb 23, 2017
    #54 BiancoAvus, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. BiancoAvus

BiancoAvus Rookie

Feb 23, 2017
    oh, just to add since i just read it.
    488 Spider has ZERO brake squeak, noise, body flex, creaks, groans etc.
    have driven it past roads full of unevenness and undulations from road works, i seriously cannot tell the diff from my 458 gtb.
    for those waiting for their cars to be delivered, rest assured no issues there.
    would take those whose feedback comes from a rental with a pinch of salt.

6. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi

I have driven at least 6 different 488s both spiders and coupes and the only time I heard squeaking was on one of the coupes when applying the breaks it squeaked at a bit at the back, but not enough to be a problem.

Regards

Michael

QUOTE=KasedyT;145485283]Anybody else having these issues with sqeaking? I have a spider ordered and they should start building any day now but this is concerning.[/QUOTE]

7. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well said

Regards

Michael

QUOTE=BiancoAvus;145485489]oh, just to add since i just read it.
    488 Spider has ZERO brake squeak, noise, body flex, creaks, groans etc.
    have driven it past roads full of unevenness and undulations from road works, i seriously cannot tell the diff from my 458 gtb.
    for those waiting for their cars to be delivered, rest assured no issues there.
    would take those whose feedback comes from a rental with a pinch of salt.[/QUOTE]

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    With the hood down you definitely can. Not a problem, but it is not accurate to say no difference from the GTB. Over uneven roads, in harder suspension settings, you 100% know it's a spider. When pushing on and listening to the exhaust talk to you, you know it too :)

9. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    My 458 brakes always squealed and my 488 GTB's never have. I guess my Spider will 😂

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nope.

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Speciale brakes squeal not squeak. The 488 does seem to have some sort of pre-load mechanism to either keep the pad close to the disc when the car expects you may need to brake, or it could be applying pressure to keep the disc up to temperature. I checked on the rear disc and there are two metal coloured blocks behind the disc that I have never seen on a 458. This gives a faint friction noise that can be heard on some occasions when you are not pressing the pedal. Sounds unusual but not a problem, especially if it is related to better technology. The 488 gets you approaching bends at much higher speeds than the 458 so better brake tech would be a good thing.

12. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Thanks for the info Lukeylikey; this would perhaps explain why my Spider even squeaks
    when I am driving as the noise definitely is coming from the rear axle.

In any case, I would not be concerned if anyone is ordering the car: it should be an
    easy issue to diagnose and fix if it materializes.

Personally, and as I mentioned before, I am kind of upset my rental company did not
    correct the issue before they delivered the car to me.

Can't wait for her to meet her sister today, group photos upcoming!! :D

xoxoxo a tutti!

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Words of wisdom from my friend Nuno!
    Baci!!!

14. KasedyT

KasedyT Karting

Aug 23, 2006
    NY
    Thank you for your responses. I see the comments from a few about the squeaking/noise issues but no comments on whether or not they have asked dealer to address and, if so, what was done or said in response. Would seem reasonable to ask dealer to address. So, anybody with these issues approached dealer??

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My 488 brakes squeal but I was told that is normal with ceramic brakes until you work them in.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    As you maybe can understand Carlo ... we cannot wait much longer to see that ! :D

17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    The 458 also pre-loads its brakes (moves the calipers closer to the discs) when it expects to brake. Also, the electronic nannies on both the 458 and 488 use the rear brakes to stabilize the car when driven hard.

18. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    There is a slight squeal from one of my 488 front wheels, which can be heard at low speeds when the brake is not being applied. I noticed it as soon as I picked up the car. (This is not the same as the brake squeal I had on my 458, which only occurred when braking, and could be cured by some spirited braking to clean up the discs.)

I have taken the car in to my dealer who concluded that this is probably a result of a slight imperfection in the disc surface which should disappear as the brakes bed in. Presumably the disc and pads are catching very slightly when the brakes aren't engaged, if that makes sense?

I have only covered about 400 miles so far, and so hopefully the dealer is right.

Other than that, the car is fantastic! My 458 was brilliant, but this is even better!

19. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #69 458trofeo, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some pics from our 488 Austria bash LOL

Giving the car back tomorrow after a week of driving on freeway and twisty back roads,
    several times at the limit.

Drove the coupe as well yesterday, feels more generic than the spider and
    glad I rented the latter. From my experience, I can understand why many
    folk promptly trade in the coupe for the spider.

Bottom line: the car is fast and comfortable and very good for long distance
    driving, then again many other cars have these attributes.

xoxoxoxo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. KasedyT

KasedyT Karting

Aug 23, 2006
    NY
    Thank you Robert P! From the lack of responses to my question I can only assume the others are in process of taking their cars to their respective dealers for a review. ;~)

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There will always be those that prefer the earlier version of a model compared to the latest. Reviews of 488 by those who own a 458 are often justifications for prefering the latter. Opinions of those who own both are more objective and usually more accurate. In this case, if the OP actually purchased the 488 instead of renting it, undoubtedly his assessment would have been different.

22. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Well said!

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #74 Eilig, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    If your statement were correct, then you'd have to discount every review by every automotive journalist as rubbish, since they didn't own the vehicles that they test drove. :)

I don't believe that ownership is a prerequisite for establishment of a well-founded opinion of an automobile, and its relative pluses/minuses in certain key performance areas. In the case of the OP, he has just wrapped up driving both the 488 Spider and 488 Coupe over 1,000 miles, over the course of an entire week, on some of the best, most challenging mountain roads in the world... to include the German autobahn at extremely high speeds. i.e. plenty of seat time on which to base a fair assessment. And in many ways, a MUCH BETTER basis for evaluation than someone in the US who owns one for 6 months, drives it 500 miles in stop-and-go city/suburban traffic, and then trades it...... and by the way, there are more OWNERS, or perhaps I should say EX-OWNERS, who fit into said category. Hmmmmm....., I wonder why.... Could it perhaps correlate to some of the points being made by the OP?? :) :)

24. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    I think I have driven both 488 models enough to form a subjective, and accurate impression.
    As a matter of fact I have probably logged on more miles in all sorts of driving conditions
    than most owners do during an ownership span, at least in the US ;)

Btw I have another day to go until I give the car back and she is sitting in the garage:
    no desire to really drive her any more, which in itself I reckon reveals quite a lot.

Personally for me the turbo engine is the culprit: the response is just too slow,
    and once you experience an NA Ferrari engine there is nothing like the razor
    sharp response, without even mentioning the sound.

Speaking of the latter, the whistle from the turbos upon doing redline revs at a standstill
    is downright comical.

Purchasing you say? I would rather purchase a Lambo or a Maclaren in this
    case and save a ton of money. Both these marques would offer the same value
    parameters and I would not be frustrated whenever I would look at the Cavallino.

Very best