488 GTO ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats what I have been told. If that's the case GT2RS for me then.

2. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    yep been told the same, hence got a 488 spider on order as well as the VS

3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    If Ferrari make a 488 GTO it has to be limited production (max 1000)...If that is the case I am sure the main limitation will be the number of cars prospective buyers own...I struggle to see how Ferrari could say no to an owner of a LaF, a F50 and a TDF because they do not have a 488. Also I am sure that people who own 599GTOs (and of course 288s) will also receive some credit

If the car is not limited, I am sure they will require regular 488 ownership, but then I cannot believe they will call it GTO...It cheapens the name

I have no special knowledge of the situation, I do know the 488 "versione speciale " is around the corner, but I have no idea about spec, name or restrictions...

4. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Completely agree on all points....

It's not a limited edition. However it will have a limited production run (similar to Speciale) and as such Ferrari expect demand to be high and so are in consultation with their dealer network to try and formulate some form of criteria to qualify for ownership.......owning a 488 is just one of those ideas but is unlikely to be a hard requirement, more likely a soft one which targets new and recent owners of the brand. Established regular and repeat customers are unlikely to have to fulfil this and will get the VS if they would like one.

5. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017

"cheapens the name"??......I cringed when I read that. The 488 GTB deserves to be the 488 GTO. It ticks all the boxes far more then the 599 GTO. In these crazy days of Aventador SV's and Huracan Performances.........the world needs a 488 GTO to go toe to toe!

6. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    I believe he was trying to say that if Ferrari designated the GTO name for a non-limited edition car, it cheapens it. For example, if they called the 458 Speciale a 458 GTO. The Speciale is not a limited edition model, while the Speciale A is.

7. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    No way......it's a great car but a GTO it's not.

8. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm also sure that it will not wear the GTO badge but it will be a fantastic and desirable car
    like all the predecessor... :)

9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    That is exactly right...I am a big supporter of making a 488GTO...I would hate it if they made a GTO that will be sold in the thousands...That definitely cheapens the name.
    I am a former 288 GTO and 599 GTO owner and I don't think either car is as deserving of the GTO moniker as the 250 GTO. However they are both incredible machines made in limited numbers and I have grown to love and respect both. Ferrari should respect the GTO name and make the 488GTO as their next limited edition. Now that would be a must-have car!

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The term is totally irrelevant, for me it can be called Mickey Mouse.
    The main thing is the car is guaranteed 150kg/330lb lighter. At least!
    (...and not just a promise in the sales brochure)

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    One could also make similar argument that shields should Not be allowed on regular production Ferrari's
    But Ferrari's is a listed company now and should leverage every tool it has - just IMO :)

12. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017

Funny, I always thought the 458 Speciale/430 Scuderia were limited production models. Especially since you had to own certain Ferraris in order to qualify for one.

But I guess if you compared their production #'s to the 288 GTO/250 GTO's production #'s then I see what you mean......

Only problem I see if the F40.......I'm sure its considered a limited production Ferrari but 1,311 were made hahaha. That throws things off

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I hope this one follows the recent tdf where they changed the bodywork significantly from the f12. Call it a gto for sure but make it more than just turned up boost, new bumpers, and radio/hvac delete

14. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Ferrari allocates limited cars, and perhaps cars in short supply for other reasons, based on how much a member of the Ferrari "family" you are.

Each customer who has bought within the last 20 years has a Ferrari profile, number and points score. Your points score is how you’re ranked for limited cars. There are two components to your points score - your Current Value to Ferrari and your Future Value. Your future value is essentially how they see you buying cars from them in the future - this is based on your buying profile and your age. Let’s say you’re sixty and have a forty year old with the same buying profile they’ll get more points as they will live longer!!! This only looks at a buying horizon of 10-15 years. If you’re 80 - good luck with Future Value points!!!

For Current Value the following are components which, both relate to the cars you buy and your interactions with Ferrari:

You get points for the cars you own. For normal Ferraris these points depreciate after 2 years rather like depreciation of a car. Super Cars old and new don’t have points depreciation
    You don’t get points for a normal car until you take delivery whereas for a super car like the La Ferrari you get points once you order.

You get points for second hand cars as you would for any other but you must get your dealer to enter it into MODIS. I assume the points are assigned based on the type of car and if any points depreciation is there for that year model.

You get points for your interaction with Ferrari. So for example attending previews, Ferrari organised dinners, races in the Ferrari Paddock, driver training etc. it seems most points would be for major interactions like the challenge series and GT3 and FXXX

I don’t remember the acronyms for the various values but your points score is the sum of Current and Future Value. No explanation was given as to the weighting of points or how many were given for each category - I presume this allows them slight wiggle room. In general it’s clear the more you interact with Ferrari the better and the more cars you have the better. Having limited models such as the TDF and Aperta clearly score reasonable points.

When allocating limited cars they don’t just offer them all to the top group. For the TDF they were first offered to people that had the 599 GTO and currently owned at least 3 Ferraris. The next grouping owned 3 Ferraris of which one must have been a V12 old or new and a limited edition car - and so on. The normal guy who holds a Ferrari for a few years sells it and buys a new one has zero chance for limited cars.

I was told a while back that for the new speciale version of the 488 the first on the list would be owners of the previous speciale.

15. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    i have a guaranteed slot in central europe without owing a 488 or any other ferrari currently, seems that different markets have very different rules.

16. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

Your "future value" comment suggests age discrimination. That is very unlikely as it would not fly in the US. From whom did you obtain your information?

17. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Which age discrimination law are you referring to? I'm not aware of any law that prohibits what is being described by DavidJames1. Just curious.

Jim

18. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I was told a while back that for the new speciale version of the 488 the first on the list would be owners of the previous speciale.[/QUOTE]

I have also heard that in UK (makes sense because I committed to 458 Speciale when assumption was it would depreciate and there was little demand) but have also heard the 488 ownership criteria hence my question.

19. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Think the dealers are making it up as they go along, can't blame them as they are moving more metal.....I've had 2 CS , 2 Scuderia and a Speciale was told I had to buy a 488 to get 488 VS, which I didn't really want, anyhow bought the 488, sold the car back to the dealer.....I'm told I'm on the list.....but who knows.

20. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

this part: "Let’s say you’re sixty and have a forty year old with the same buying profile they’ll get more points as they will live longer.... If you’re 80 - good luck with Future Value points"

21. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I get that, but law isn't based on "fairness," you have to show a violation of a specific law, and laws in this area are written to enforce policies, (i.e Fed employment law policy, State laws dealing with the same, and other areas like lending laws, medical treatment, etc.).

There are no laws that I'm aware of that would prevent Ferrari from having age as one of the many criteria they use to identify their continuing market. I get that it's unfair, but much of life is, we've become too sensitive to these things IMO.

Just to be clear, I'm 65yo, had only owned a couple of used Ferrari's in the distant past, was never a "regular" Ferrari customer. My last purchase, and current F car, is my 2014 458 Spider. I decided to also order a 488 Spider. I approached my local dealer, deposited $20K, and was told to expect a 24 month wait. During the first 12 months of my wait I learned of at least 5 people at other dealerships, and 2 in my local dealer, that walked in, placed their orders and will receive their 488 Spiders long before me. Fair? No, of course not to me, but I get that not all we encounter in life is fair. If you want the car, you wait it out, and recognize that there are people out here that have been supporting Ferrari for a long time, have purchased many new cars over the years, or have large collections. Why wouldn't Ferrari, or the local dealer with that relationship, take care of them ahead of me? It makes business sense that they would, and probably just as important, it IS fair to the buyer that's been supporting the brand all these years. I haven't earned that right, I get that, I accept that, and so I wait. Ferrari's allocation formula, or whatever it's called, is their way of marketing, it's just business, not personal, and to my knowledge it doesn't violate any age discrimination laws.

Jim

22. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

i think we are talking apples and oranges. of course a company can favor long standing customers. i would just be very surprised that company policy could disfavor older customers because of advanced age and therefore lower future value to the company. i doubt that is company policy. i was simply taking issue with this characterization of company policy

23. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Got it, understood. (BTW, I'm terrible at "context", so my apology if my post sounds confrontational, that was not my intent.)

Now back to the thread subject....(sorry for derailing)

Jim

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Are your dealers saying that it must be a new 488 or secondhand is OK?

25. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It doesn't matter if the car is second hand and not bought from a Ferrari dealer. To have it count though, have it serviced by a Ferrari dealer and make sure it's added into MODIS the car then goes into your profile with Ferrari. Or maybe your local Ferrari guy will just enter into MODIS for you anyway. If your cars aren't registered in MODIS, they generally won't count although I'm sure if your dealer knows you have a bunch of Ferraris, you're probably ok.