599 Lost Key | FerrariChat

599 Lost Key

Discussion in '612/599' started by KenGoldman, Sep 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I may have lost one of my 599 keys.

Has anyone had any experience getting a duplicate key made--- other than paying $1,000. to Ferrari for them to send you one??

I have seen blanks offered on the web for around $60. from Apollo Key World.

Thanks
    Ken Goldman

2. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    The new key needs to be reprogrammed by Ferrari to be able to open/start your car, you have to go through your dealer anyway and they won't be able to reprogram those blank keys unless they are genuine Ferrari parts (i doubt they are). So i am afraid you have no choice... good luck.

3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, 100% confirmed. Must buy from Ferrari and must then program with an appropriate scanner (SD3/4 or Lenoardo).

4. KenGoldman

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Thanks very much for the help on this

Ken Goldman

5. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Just you to be aware of this, you should have the code of your keys somewhere and you need to give it to Ferrari to have a copy of your key. If you don't have it, well bad luck : you need to change the mechanism in the steering wheel (i don't know the name in english). It will cost a fortune, and it will take ages (months). Good luck.

6. KenGoldman

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I went to my local dealer who ordered a key. It should be here in a few days.

Good news is that my insurance company, Haggerty, covers replacement auto parts. Therefore, the coat will be covered by insurance.

I appreciate all the help and info.

Ken Goldman

7. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    From my experience you can order a new code card as well (I did for my 599). No additional work but 2x the price, i remember Ferrari asking approx. GBP1000 in total ...

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    What! A new code card costs around $20. We always order one with new keys in case the customer has lost his.

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you have access to one of these systems, would you be able to program on the the $60 replacement keys with it?

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    First of all, you don't need your key code (electronic code) to order the key. But you do need it to program it! As noted above, Ferrari can always furnish the (original) code for you (likely for a small fee). It is like calling Honda to get the stereo unlock code on your 1998 Camry.

You obviously need your VIN and proof of ownership (title, registration, ID) to order the key. FNA won't budge on that!

An SD4/3 or Leonardo will program the key (using the electronic code) once you have all your keys in hand. I am not sure yet (because I haven't yet tried) but I believe my Autel Elite scanner (or my Matco) may also do the programming as my Autel now has Ferrari models covered. Just not sure it it has it covered to the depth of a key re-program. I was able to do major module access and troubleshooting on my 612 with the Autel. That is confirmed.

NA V12 Girl likes this.