599 Shields - Guidance Needed | FerrariChat

599 Shields - Guidance Needed

Discussion in '612/599' started by papataori, Jun 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am searching for the perfect used 599, and I found one---except for one thing. It does not have shields. I personally (and this is my opinion because it is my money) love the shields and will not purchase a 599 without them. Aftermarket stick-on shields are out of the question for me.

I have heard (on this website) about Ferrari licensed body shops that have the ability to stamp the front fenders and install factory shields. I guess I could also purchase new fenders from Ferrari that have the shields, but this will, undoubtedly, be absurdly expensive (and probably take a lot of time). Does anyone know more about either/both of these options (ie. cost and time commitment)? Would this permanent addition hurt resale because the shields would not be listed on the window sticker? Or, since it is done to factory spec by a factory authorized Ferrari location, will this prevent the value from being negatively effected?

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

2. FerrariEnzoChicago

May 9, 2009
    If you dont want the stickers, the real badges are like $800. Getting new fenders, i cant imagine how much, but maybe there is someway to put the real badges on without stamping or getting new fenders?

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Here in Los Angeles were fortunate to have Premier Motorsports one of the few Ferrari only approved collision centers. They can apply the OEM Scuderia shields as per the factory to you're existing fenders. Not cheap but properly exicuted.

4. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dont mean for this to come off as rude, but how "special" can the car you found be? Maybe you could give us the specs you are looking for, and I'm sure someone can come up with a car that is exactly to your standards or extremely close. I can sense its not a Rosso Corsa/Tan with Challenge rims type of deal ;) Anyways, maybe give the details or specs of the car you found?

Regardless, nothing but the best of luck in the search and decision :)

Take care,
    Chris

5. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much it would be? Do you think it would be a negative for resale since it wouldn't be listed on the original window sticker?

6. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    At the very least the front fenders will be painted complete if you have the shields recessed per factory. (blend and clear coat)
    The fender paint work alone is enough to negatively impact future value of the vehicle IMO.
    If you never plan on selling it, then have them go at the fenders with their hammers and spray guns.
    What color is this car? Pearl colors can be almost impossible to panel match. Painting both sides of the car could be necessary if the color is difficult.

7. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    These are people who complain about a respray in the original paint code with no body damage and meticulously measure paint thickness, so yes, they would be very sensitive to ex-factory mods as a general rule. You would find a minority I think though, who would not care.

My advice is to wait and find the car you want. There are 100's out there.

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Regarding cost I would contact Dave at Premier, 310-762-9900. As far as resale, yes, I believe this would have some impact on value and also narrow your potential audience at time of sale. Should you decide to move forward on this I suggest you document the process by requesting before, during and after pictures for your file to confirm body work as purely aesthetic. As 360Grigiotitanio stated, you may want to locate one with shields, (unless there's something very unique about the one in question such as out of range or custom color) as there certainly doesn't appear to be any shortage of 599's in the market.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Dave embosses the fenders, sets them in and repaints the front of the car to a perfect color match.

I don't think anyone would/should care since a 599 is far from any vintage car so staying OEM is not as big a deal.

Of course, that being said, someone will anyway. ;)

10. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks. I will call Dave in the next few days to get further details.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    You can't be serious? If you really must have shields I have no doubt the "perfect car" with shields is out there.
    The effort involved to try and replicate the factory shields is simply not worth it and you will always know that they are fake.
    If you are as committed as you seem to the idea of shields, I would suspect that deep down in your subconscious mind you know that only the real deal is acceptable.
    Keep looking. I guess that in today's weird market there are many 599's available.

12. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    My "perfect car" with shields is not out there unless it is somewhere other than dupontregistry, ebay, ferrari pre-owned online, and a good old fashioned google search. Anyone have any other recommendations for places to look?

The car I have found has literally every single option and color that I would order directly from Ferrari, except for the shields. It has less than 1000 miles and I think it can be had for about $100k under what it would cost me to order new through my local dealer. It is Ferrari certified pre-owned at a Ferrari dealership and has NO stories. I feel what you are saying about my subconscious, because I am actually consciously aware of it. My conscious also tells me that if I can get this done for a few thousand bucks rather than $100k, I may be making a logical decision.

Would it be better (definitely more expensive!) to order replacement fenders from Ferrari with the shields already on there? Then I could keep the original fenders in case they are needed by a potential future buyer. Anyone have any idea how much replacement fenders would run in a standard Ferrari color (not out of range or optional)? Maybe I am just chasing my tail here, but I am trying to figure out all of my options. Maybe the best option is to wait...

13. jj525

jj525 Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia, Florida
    Color match?

14. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'd personally spend a few thousand bucks with a therapist and get over the need for shields on this particular car. Get this one, drive it, enjoy it and and then order a brand new car from the dealer EXACTLY the way you want it. As economically irrational as that may seem, there is really no substitute for going through the ordering process with a dealer and eventually seeing YOUR car on the dealer's floor waiting just for you, and no-one else.

When I last looked you can't see the shields from inside the car, and that's where you should be as much time as possible

15. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can you answer this please? I think someone out there can find you the exact car(or extremely close) for the right price too.

Chris

16. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    #16 PCH, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Not cost effective and still will require painting. Due to difficulty in matching paint, (near impossible w/o having the car) and potential shipping damage, Ferrari S.p.A. will not paint body parts ordered over the counter.

17. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Try www.autotrader.com, they have quite a few 599s listed.

In regards to the car you are looking at, I would pass. The fact that you are showing any hesitation at all in regards to the car is a bad sign. It is a huge decision and should be made with the same kind of thinking that goes along with purchasing a house or finding a wife. With the kind of money you are looking at spending, you should demand total perfection. Also, don't underestimate the potential effect of buyer's remorse. Anything you don't like about the car now will be amplified 1000x after you buy it! Keep looking, you will know when you find it.

410SA: Your 1977 308 GTB is one of the classiest and most beautiful cars I have ever seen! Have you posted pics? I would love the links if you get a chance...

18. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    #18 stradleboy, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is from a good friend of mine Daniel Dykes at FCI thought it might be able to add some assistance to your question
    I hope that all is well. I understand that you consider Scuderia Shields a "must" option for a 599 GTB. I would like to respectfully disagree. On a F430, 612 Scaglietti, 360 Modena, or a 575M Maranello; the shields look great, I agree with you. I can not recall a time I have seen one without shields and thought it looked better. My view is different with the 599 GTB.
    While I could take the historical route and ramble on about how Scuderia Shields are only suppose to be on race cars and supercars (288/F40) and then continue in any direction of my choosing with that argument, I will not. That is irrelevant. My point is purely visual, which is the purpose of Scuderia Shields on a road car.
    Below you will find a series of photographs, starting with an F430 Spider with Scuderia Shields. This is then followed by a 612 Scaglietti with Shields and then a 599 GTB....again, with Shields. Please note the placement of the Shields on the F430 and 612, they are in the same place in relation to the windshield. You will find the same placement on the F355, 360, and 550/575's. This is not the case with the 599.
    On the 599, the Shields are placed nearly a foot further from the windshield than the F430. Granted, that with the styling of the car Ferrari/Pininfarina's choices were limited. Limited options do not make for attractive options however.
    With the advanced placement of the Shields, the result is a floating effect. Rather than being tucked nicely, the Shields are left to roam far and away.
    Now, observe the next few cars. A blue 599 sans Scuderia Shields. A titanium 599 with very clean lines, nothing out of order. Then, a car ordered by a client of our store, who is very pleased to have not ordered Shields. For a clearer shot of a black 599, I have included a picture of a car with the Hamann kit.
    I have included pictures of an F40 and 288 GTO to further emphasize the proper placement of the Scuderia Shields.
    I hope that you will reconsider your position on Scuderia Shields. While I concede that they look great in general, I feel the 599 is an exception. Best regards,

Daniel Dykes
    Foreign Cars Italia
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Looks to me that the 599 looks much better without shields - just look at the Blue car sitting next to the 275. They sit too far forward on the 599 compared to all the others. No shields is more elegant and preserves the lines of the car. This is maybe why so many 599s come without them.

20. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    I agree and I'm a shield guy myself looks like It's to far forward.

21. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I agree a 599 without shields looks good and is not a deal breaker. I will try to find the photos of the very first 599's. Ferrari placed the shields in a couple different locations before settling on their current placement. I believe one was closer to the windshield and in the scoop area. It appeared that Ferrari was struggling on where to put the shields.

22. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    I am not a shields guy - the shields are a complete after thought add - on - or it would not be an option. On the other hand I agree with post for therapy ... I can only imagine that the stress level it must cause to go 599 shield - less!

23. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I love the shields.

It's just a matter of taste though.

24. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    I love the shields too, and the 599 that I get will have them. A few of you made some excellent points, and I think I will wait for the right car to come along. Thanks to everyone for your help.

25. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Shields look nice to me!