599 Spyder Concept | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 Spyder Concept

Discussion in '612/599' started by drkita, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Love that design and the two tone as well as colors!

2. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I think overall, got more positive responses than negative. Still debating if I will go through with build. Will keep you posted!

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think from a looks perspective its a "go"; but I wonder how you can handle the structural and resulting safety issues.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

A couple of years back, this idea was tossed around by Vandenbrink.

I can't seem to copy and past the pictures, but here is the link.

http://www.vandenbrinkdesign.com/current-projects/599-gt-convertible

I think these designs are as close to heaven as you can get.

5. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    #30 bob44, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks for the images. Yes I have seen these before, I believe they were renditions that came out before the SA Aperta was released. I remember when I finally saw the Aperta, I wasn't that impressed with it. I would rather have the normal GTB.

So there are these images but no one has actually fabricated one yet, I suppose.

7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Hmmm... would it be easier to put a V12 in a California?

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Still have to do something about the California's silly taillights though :p

9. CJA

CJA Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The side view in particular is really good. (IMO)

Looking forward to the finished product.

10. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I guess those are all good thoughts but in the end creating such a car needs a lot more than rendering pictures and to do this with a 599 or a 612, cars who are not fabricated anymore and were never designed as spiders in the first place would be quite difficult and always be a one off. I am not sure if I would feel comfortable to go maximum speed with such a car....

With modern cars like the McLaren, which are produced quite differently it might be much easier to cut the roof off - but then again, if one has the time and funds to really transfer a classic like the 599 into a spider, this would be a real nice achievement.

Stefan

11. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    #36 drkita, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few years back I asked you for your opinions on an idea.

I had been working hard for a past few years, and I finally showed it this weekend.

Ever since I was a kid, I just loved to draw cars. Especially, the supercars. It has been my true passion from when I was like 3 years old.

I put aside that passion, and became a dentist, mostly under the advice from my father. But I always had this dream to become a car designer. For Ferrari. That was my dream.

Then somehow, about 10 years ago, a man named Ken Okuyama came to my office just as patient. He is the man who penned the Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 612, Maserati Quatroporte, and many other Iconic cars.

Ken and I became good friends over the years, and he taught me how to draw better, and theories in design. I also went to ArtCenter College of Design Night School.
    He gave me the courage to try to realize my dream, by creating my own design on an existing Ferrari automobile.
    We chose the 599 GTB, and I decided, on my own, to create a one off, spyder conversion of the 599 GTB.

Fastcars,Ltd, did the body work, and I worked with them in creating my design from my sketches. I did all of the sketches, 3D modeling on the computer on a scan of the car, made the hardboard bucks to guide the aluminum sheetmetal fabrication. and all the minor details in fitting and finishing of the new panels. I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with. Thank you!

HRE Performance Wheels produced for me some beautiful wheels, which give the car just the right stance that i had imagined in my sketches.

I unveiled the car for the first time at the The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering on Friday, and then Concorso Italiano on Saturday.

The response to my project car has been overwhelmingly positive, and I can't believe it! I feel like I have made just a little bit of my dream come true!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BTX

BTX Karting

Jan 13, 2008
    France
    Love it.

13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Fantastic! Love it.

Great story - dream and achieve. Resilience.

Congratulations

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Several years ago Newport Convertible Engineering of Placentia,CA began making a 599 convertible. Their website shows the initial work. I don't know the outcome.

15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Would love to see the progress photos of the car under construction.
    You cant go wrong with Craig from Fastcars either. They guy is a true perfectionist and gentleman

16. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Well, I have to say unfortunately, I was the one that started the project with them, but they did not satisfy me in terms of the quality of the work, and in deadline. I was supposed to be at Quail in 2016. They would not have made it, so FastCars bailed me out. But I had to basically redo everything from scratch, due to poor quality. I paid over 2X my original budget for this project.

But I think it was all worth it in the end, because we have very good quality finish on this car. It is not a Chopshop mishmash job. Fastcars just won first place in their class at Pebble Beach Concours this weekend, on their restoration of an Alfa Romeo. So they understand quality, and that is what I like about them.

So I have to emphasize.

FASTCARS IN REDONDO BEACH IS THE CREATOR OF MY CAR.

NEWPORT CONVERTIBLE ENGINEERING DID NOT MAKE THIS.

They have not worked on any other 599, and have not shown it at Pebble Beach as they say on their website.

17. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

Thank you! All of the positive comments I got at the show, and everyone that sees the car, make it really worth all the headaches and pain I had endured on this!

18. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Fabulous. I'd love to see it lowered on OEM pentagrams.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Looks amazing! A great custom.

Have you talked about doing a run of a few of those in different configurations and selling them?

20. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks! I think we may have a few orders with Craig already. Contact Fastcars if there is any interest.

21. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely love it, looks better than an Aperta. The last pic is especially sick... That car should have been produced 10 years ago

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love the idea and the result. Not sure on the wheels but also think that the standard and challenge wheels would look boring on this car. I wonder how the HGTE wheels would look? Maybe too small..

In any case, an amazing story!

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Does it have a soft top? Any photo with the top on?

24. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Steve

Enjoy this unique beauty.

Daniel

25. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran