707 Anniversary

Discussion in 'AviatorChat.com' started by Tcar, Jul 15, 2017.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

707 flew for the first time today in 1954.

Remember it, Bob?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    63 years ago. All the crews flying various KC-135 versions (not based on the 707, but close enough) are younger than the aircraft. USAF does still fly some 707 based aircraft, too, although there are plans to replace all of them.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #3 Bob Parks, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For a second or two I was thinking that you had your dates wrong until I realized that you were referring to the 367-80, 707 prototype. I guess that you are more correct because the actual model number was 707. Yes, I do rememberer it because I was parked parallel to the runway. I had to dig a bit to find my painting of the event.
    367-80Take-cardIBM.jpg

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The KC-135 (model 717) was the first production iteration of the -80 and was a bit larger and way heavier. The configuration and planform was used for the production of the 707 but that airplane was a bit larger in the upper lobe than the KC-135 and something like 25K pounds lighter. The structure was "shaved down" in places and there was no need for the heavy fuel tanks and battleship style structure. Outward appearance was the same except for the crease line on the 707 where the upper lobe met the waterline of the deck. And the upper tangent line where the constant section met the curvature of the cab was moved aft for 36". It's hard to believe that I worked on all that stuff and I am out to pasture and the airplanes are still going and that includes the B-52.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Sorry, I meant the prototype, the -80.

Thanks, didn't know those details... very interesting, Bob...
    Nice paintng.

Yes, the B-52 is even older (2 years older or so).

Think I posted this before, but there is a B-52 pilot whose father was a B-52 pilot and also his grandfather was a B-52 pilot. Will they make 4 generations?????

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I used to wonder why there were no 'stretched' 707's like the DC-8's that were sooo long.

I think you said that the shorter landing gear legs of the 707 precluded a stretch as it was too low to rotate with a longer fuselage. An early design decision that affected future development.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's correct in every word. Same design glitch on the 737. Not so on the 747, 757, 767,777, and 787. Long landing gear legs are quite heavy and weight was a big issue on the 707-120.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I still remember traveling in one of those as a kid back in the late 70s.

Doesn't Travolta own one?

10. GTHill

GTHill F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Single Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Isn't the 737-800 longer? I know they seat more on Southwest Airlines. Maybe something else changed?

GT

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #10 Gatorrari, Jul 15, 2017
    Yup, an ex-Qantas 707-138.
    Travolta's House.jpg

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't know, Bob, the 737 has been stretched a number of times now...

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My favorite 707 story is about the time that my family and I flew from SJU to JFK on Thanksgiving Day so that my mom could say goodbye to her brother, who was dying of cancer. Purely by chance, the 707 that Pan Am assigned for our flight was the Jet Clipper Mayflower! (Remember, this was on Thanksgiving Day.)

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

But it was shorter than the 707 to begin with.

It was sort of a 707 with a couple fuselage sections removed and shorter wings.

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Unreal.

"Hey - lets go take the 707 out back for a spin!" :)

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It all has to do with pitch angles from the main gear to the tail strike point. Nose gear lengthening is helping and I think that they are playing with a tricky landing gear now. Been looking at that for years.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My first flight in a 707 was a Pan-Am jet from Oslo, Norway to Ildewild Airport, NY in 1961. Chapped my family off because we were slated to come back on an ocean liner before USAF dictated all its overseas returns would be by airplane rather than ship. I was excited, though. Previously, all I had flown in was a C-47. A bit different in performance.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good memories, Taz. In 1961 I had started working on 727 stuff, along with 720B, KC-135, 707-320, and on and on. I think about those hectic but enjoyable days a lot.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting, since it was really the 707 and DC-8 that, for all intents and purposes, killed off the ocean liner business. Only Cunard continues to operate a true ocean liner (as distinguished from cruise ships) to this day.

21. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    OT: Interesting distinction I had never really thought about.. so I turned to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_liner for their take.. what's your distinction between the 2? Technical or design differences? or the people on board? The typical route taken?

I've only ever been on one, I guess a "cruise ship" for the Inside passage from AK.. and not crossing the Atlantic A-B as such.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #20 tazandjan, Jul 16, 2017
    Alex- Ocean liners were designed to deliver people and cargo, including cars, from major city A to major city B across major bodies of water in relatively short periods of time. Took one from New York to Oslo on the Stavangerfjord in 1958. Cruise ships are designed to entertain passengers while incidentally crossing bodies of water, often with frequent stops at ports of interest, and often ending up at the same place from which they departed.
    Stavangerfjord 02.jpg

23. Island Time

Island Time F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #21 Island Time, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The way I look at it, ocean liners go from A to B. Cruise ships go from A to B (and usually C, D, E...) and then back to A. One is transportation, the other just a fun trip. But in their later years, ocean liners did some cruising as well, and the onboard amenities for both would be similar.

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was there and I have written about it several times how I was standing there with a movie camera shooting him coming in and when he pulled up and started the roll I was so shocked that I dropped the camera to my side and watched the whole thing. A guy standing beside me said that my comment about the airplane doing a roll was incorrect . After the second one going south, I asked him what was that was and there was no answer. I don't know why Tex referred to it as a chandelle because it was nothing like a chandelle, it was an aileron roll, all at one G. I knew one of the flight test engineers who was aboard and he said that if his eyes were closed he would never have known what happened. He said that Tex practiced it at altitude before he did it over the God Cup race course so it wasn't an impulsive event.

26. Island Time

Island Time F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David
    lol What a great story! How cool! :) I bet that was quite a jaw dropper! I thought it odd he referred to it as a chandelle as well. Just an aileron roll...but still...

I've got about 1500 hrs in the 135. 6 years in the Tennessee Air Guard....back in the 80's. Nothing like a Boeing. Even that one...

27. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good for you! I'm assuming that you refer to the KC-135. If so, what a great airplane! I had to dig to see if I had a small enough picture of the progenitor. I'll keep digging.

28. Island Time

Island Time F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I thought that odd too. I wondered how he knew exactly what that thing would do....(altitude wise)...before he did that so close to the ground.

Now I know. He'd already figured that out. I figured he had to have already done it up high. That's just not something you do in a plane so low without knowing what's coming...

29. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #27 Bob Parks, Jul 16, 2017
    Trying to shrink the image again.
    -800 367-80.jpg

30. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So, Bob, I started this thread and got to thinking... so I pulled out your "Crystal Set..." book and re-read your adventures with the KC and the 707... and 720, etc.

Good read the third time, Bob...

BTW, love the frontpiece... my best friend and I and his Dad restored a Model A Roadster when we were in HS/College. Won a ribbon at the National Model A convention in Albuquerque that summer.
    Beautiful homily for your brother.

31. TheMayor

TheMayor Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I made a list of all the Boeing planes I have flown on

B-17

I don't count the Douglas planes that were adopted in the merger.

Not many have flow a 707 but I did as a kid -- Phoenix to Chicago non stop. My FIRST plane flight -- and the only time I was airsick!

32. Island Time

Island Time F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Prettier that what they're building now. nice lines

33. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #31 Bob Parks, Jul 16, 2017
    You have flown on more of them than I have. I have been on all except the 777 and 787. I still think that the 707-120 was the prettiest of all.
    -800 707-121.jpg

34. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Even fewer flown a B-17!

35. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You missed the 720 on your list and I bet you flew on one. I know I did.

Other Bob- Did you ever get a ride in the 247 they restored?

36. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its possible but I do remember the 707 from my childhood. The 727 and 737 pretty much phased them out quickly along with the competitor 4 engine models.

37. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Most folks could not tell a 707 from a 720 at first glance, anyway. Another short fuselage hot rod like the 747 SP. Last one flew back in 2012, so they are all beer cans, now, unless someone stashed one in a museum.

38. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

There are still some SP's flying... The Sands in 'Vegas flies a couple of them, or at least still did last year.

I think there are still some flying in Saudi Arabia... or were, recently.

They're pretty distinctive... so short and fat with that huge tail, but you're right, most would not notice.

39. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The 720 was slightly shortened and lightened where the SP was severely shortened forward and aft. Some pilots referred to it as a four engined fighter, fast, maneuverable, and fun to fly. Leaving Heathrow on a UAL SP that was acquired from PAA we were 1 hour late for take off due to heavy incoming traffic. The pilot told the passengers not to worry about making their connections in Seattle Because, "This airplane can and will make up the time and that it would land on schedule (1100)".We did. Great flight both ways.
    I flew on a few 720B's but the most fun was aboard one on a production test flight where they wracked it around with steep banks and simulated emergency let down. Truly a hotrod. When we took off from BFI all you could see ahead was blue sky until we leveled off at 30,000 over the Olympics ten minutes later..

40. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've flown on both the 747 sp and the 747 Combi (half cargo) version. Also the latest 747-8 that Lufthansa flies.

41. donv

donv F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I flew on a 707 in Africa in the 1990s Nairobi to Harare, I think...

42. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    T- I was talking about the 720. Last 720B flight was in May 2012.

43. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My Boeing list would be:

707 (-120 only)
    737 (all 3 generations)
    747 (-100 and -200 only)
    757 (-200 only)
    767 (all 3 lengths)
    777 (-200 only)

Haven't caught up with a 787 just yet.

44. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Oops... I see that now.

C- on reading comprehension....

720 was short-lived.

45. beast

beast F1 Veteran

May 31, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    my Boeing list :

717 I know grey area here as it started out as a McD design
    737 all 3 gens
    747-400
    B-17G
    PT-17

Almost flew on FiFi B-29 except the flight was canceled due to engine issue :(

on my to fly list

737-Max

46. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Maybe I have posted this before but it is interesting. UAL was searching for a medium range airplane, something a little smaller than the 707 and for more continental routes. Boeing was studying the possibility of a light weight 707 with a lighter engine. P&W was studying a lighter JT3 to fit it and the process was too slow for Bill Patterson of UAL so he approached Convair about the 880. The story says that Patterson was in San Diego within minutes of signing a contract for 880's when he got a phone call from Bill Allen guaranteeing a light weight (titanium) engine from P&W that would make the 720 viable. Patterson turned around and flew up to Boeing and signed for 20 720's. It was a nice airplane but when the 720B came out with the JT3D fan it became a high performance hotrod as well as a hot seller. I remember on one test flight the pilot, Scotty, held it down until the uneven surface of the runway felt like a cobblestone road and when he lifted off , it was nothing but a steep climb and blue sky ahead.

47. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The 717 model number for an MD ??? was a marketing gimmick by some Boeing sales people who failed to recognize that that model number had already been assigned to what would become the KC-135. They thought that it was SOO tricky to put the Boeing jet airliner series number mixed with the single aisle (1) and the last part being 7 to make 717. Tough to explain the un-airplane people. I flew the PT-17 and have flown on all the rest in your list.

48. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That wasn't the 'REAL' 717...

49. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The real 717 was the KC-135.

50. beast

beast F1 Veteran

May 31, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Bob yes I realize that the 717 aka MD-95 is not a true Boeing design. When Boeing announced that it would be called the 717 I thought WTF the KC-135 is the 717. I only flew on one once on AirTran and almost burst out in laughter when the flight attendant called it the "Boeing 717-200" during the safety brief.

The one thing I did like was the 2-3 seating As well I like the 2-3-2 seating on the 767 also as my preferred seat is a window seat. that way I only have to bother 1 person to go to the can or get something out of the overhead.

51. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    So that is what that was. Flew on one with 3-2 seating (or 2-3, forget which), and wondered what it was. Looked just like any other DC-9 variant to me from the outside. Guess I was not curious enough to look at the brochure.

52. beast

beast F1 Veteran

May 31, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Terry all the MD8x and MD9x are 2-3 or 3-2 depending on how the airline wants to configure the in the "Cattlecar" class. On the plus side most of them have an 18" wide coach seat vs. 17.3" on most others.

I flew an MD80 from DFW-ABQ in 1st once and it was a very quiet ride up front, until we landed and the nose gear started to shake to entire plane turning off the runway.