85 Euro QV - slight miss after sitting for a few months. | FerrariChat

85 Euro QV - slight miss after sitting for a few months.

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Hi all,
    Well, I finally got some time to spend with the 308 this week after months of work and home improvements. Vehicle sits in a heated garage. Installed a new battery and made sure connections were tight and solid. 5 gallons of premium fuel and new plugs. Car started almost immediately, but has a slight miss. I'm running Ridium NGK BPR7EIX plugs gapped at .030. Paging through my owners manual it says that my plugs should be gapped between .024-.028. ( for champion N6 GY plugs).Could this be the source of my miss? I'm certain it's electrical. Plan on pulling the distributor caps later and seeing if there's corrosion or oil residue inhibiting contact. Car was running beautifully six months ago. Thanks.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Note: I'm not a technician and have no long-term experience on this. But, I'll throw this out there.

I changed from old plugs to BPR7EIX about a month ago. I believe they were Champions, but I didn't measure the gap. Car did smell like it was running rich, more than seemed normal. Anyway, when I went to install the new plugs, I noticed also that the gap was around .030-ish. I researched this a lot, and read that these plugs aren't supposed to be adjusted; IE, the .030 gap is perfectly fine - because it's iridium, not platinum. I saw a couple other Fchat posters were already doing the same with fine results.

So I went with it. On the first weekend out, I had a singular backfire after a 70 mi drive (scared the heck out of me.) But on arriving home, I also found a plug wire was loose, so I pushed it back down. Since then, 300-400 miles and perfect engine behavior. And my garage no longer smells like the inside of a gas can for days. Hope this helps somehow.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks Thorn.
    Kind of confusing consensus checking the Internet. Some say to leave the NGK plug gap at .030 and not mess with it, while others say it depends on application and set them to manufactures specs. Doesn't seem to matter if it's 800/1500/3000 RPM the miss is consistent. Thought I probably just had a fouled plug and threw a new set in the car. Already had new OEM wires/ extenders and caps. Ran smooth as glass last time it was started so I'm sure it's something fairly simple I'm overlooking.

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Two more ideas:

- Plugs torqued to spec? (I highly doubt this is the problem. Just tossing it in)
    - Since it's been sitting awhile, possibly an injector needs cleaning?

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Got a good laugh out of torquing the plugs.

Ended up winterizing the pontoon boat and travel trailer so haven't been into the other garage yet but I am certain it's electrical and not fuel related. Will try to get a minute tomorrow afternoon and inspect the distributors.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I thought you might. ;)

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Found a few extra minutes today so I pulled the rear bank distributor cap and found a little rust/corrosion on the contacts inside the cap. What is the preferred method of cleaning these contacts and rotor? Steel wool?
    Little reluctant to have steel fibers floating around and possibly sticking inside the distributor and shaft.

8. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    500 grit sandpaper

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Got it! Thank you!

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    FWIW, I don't have experience with iridium plugs but I tried Platinum plugs in my carb two valve 308 and the car ran like crap right out of the box with misfiring. I put standard plugs back in and it was fine after that. If others are having good results with these high tech plugs that's great. I'm just letting you know what I experienced.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks Andy for the input! I have been running these NGK BPR7EIX plugs for around three years now in my QV and it's run excellent up to this last week.. what year is your 308?

12. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    what happens above 3000rpm ?

if the miss is gone, check extenders ! (also the connections wire/extender/plug)

you can also try to isolate the missing cylinder

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    RPM setting doesn't seem to matter. I'm guessing it's the distributor cap corrosion. Haven't made it into the garage yet today.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you are already inside the cap, you should measure the resistance from the contact in the cap to the clip in the extender that connects to the spark plug for each wire to see if there are any issues in that chain (and the coil-to-cap wires too). The stock spark plug wires are not zero resistance so the resistance will be more for the longer wires, but getting a reading of infinite ohms for any would be a bad thing.

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As stated above check the spark plug extenders. They plug into the end of the spark plug wires and protrude thru the valve covers to the spark plugs. They will have some resistance on QV models. A few thousand ohms as I recall. I had several bad ones. Measured open. I switched to the 328 version which have no resistance. The 328 versions are very slightly longer, but will still work if you want to go that route.

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks for all the replies. Finally got around today to cleaning up the front bank distributor cap and went back through and checked all the plug extenders, they were fine. Steve, didn't check the resistance on the wires but Dave Helms rebuilt them a year and a half ago and included a print out of their specs. Have to say, as certain as I was that this was in electrical issue. I believe it may have been just from the small amount of premium fuel in the tank's starting to go bad. Dumped another 5 gallons of premium fuel in the car earlier in the week and did notice it start to run a little smoother. Went to the other garage and got a bottle of Heet and dumped in the tank, after about 15 minutes of running the car seemed to smooth out considerably. One thing I'm positive of, the more I run it the better it runs. Slight stumble is barely noticeable at the moment. Thanks again for all your help.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My 83QV is also experiencing an issue with new plugs. I did belts, tensoner bearings, brakes, oil, air filter, wires, caps and rotors and rebuilt the water pump and a few other things.

So I figured after 16 years and 27K miles why not put in new plugs. Put in the iridium BPR7EIX gapped at 27. 6 out of 8 extenders had a crack from the top half way down. Changed them today and the car runs like crap. I'm going to pull the plugs Monday and have a look. Car has a very slight miss last week on the way to Ct, before changing plugs and extenders. You can't make it up. Had the champions in and the car always ran perfect.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    That's really bazaar. Are you sure you used the proper plug extenders for a QV?

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm pretty sure the extenders are all the same for 308s. Got them from the same place I bought them last time.

20. reggazz.stevenson@gmail

Sep 15, 2017
    cedar creek austin texas
    Full Name:
    regis bragg stevenson
    Hello,
    make sure the fuel plunger is loose and squishy
    remove all plugs and use heat lamps to dry out all cylinders to for sure dry
    new Bosch plugs ,,for me
    Sunoco Race gas
    new fuel filter
    Italian tuneup