About Porsche & bomb in Spain | FerrariChat

About Porsche & bomb in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by bitzman, Dec 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am researching the Porsche Tapiro concept car designed by Giugiaro on a Porsche 914/6 platform. The car was needle nosed, silver, with four gullwing doors, two for the passenger compartment and two for the engine/cargo area. Originally the scuttlebutt was that the car was "appropriated" by the President of Mexico after Auto Expo had a show down in Mexico but now can't find any repeat of that scurrilous allegation so I'll go to rumor No. 2, that an industrialist in Spain bought it (anybody know the price?) from Ital Design and it was rigged with a bomb by dissident workers at his plant and blown up, but survived as a burnt out hulk.
    Does anybody remember this incident? Was the industrialist inside it when the bomb went off? Was he injured? On one Porsche site called FlatSixes, they have a story but intimate that the bomb was the official story, so maybe someone knows the unofficial story.

Incidentally the Giugiaros, father and son, have a real sense of humor. They got the wreck back and proudly displayed it at their lobby in their museum, kind of a silent comment on
    "Look how some people mess with our creations."
    -------------------------------------------
    sorry for mangling the language but here's a Google translation version of my query.

Estoy investigando el concept car Porsche Tapiro diseñado por Giugiaro en una plataforma Porsche 914 /6. El coche era la aguja de nariz , de plata, con cuatro puertas de ala de gaviota , dos para el compartimento de pasajeros y dos para la zona del motor / carga. Originalmente los rumores era que el coche fue "apropiada " por el Presidente de México después de la expo auto tenía un programa en México , pero ahora no puedo encontrar ninguna repetición de esa acusación difamatoria así que iré al rumor No. 2, que un industrial en España lo compró ( alguien sabe el precio ? ) de Ital Design y fue manipulada con una bomba por trabajadores disidentes en su planta y volado , pero sobrevivió como un casco quemado.
    ¿Alguien recuerda este incidente? ¿Fue el empresario en su interior , cuando estalló la bomba ? ¿Estaba herido ? En un sitio llamado Porsche FlatSixes , tienen una historia, pero íntimo que la bomba era la historia oficial , por lo que tal vez alguien sabe la historia no oficial.

Por cierto el Giugiaros , padre e hijo , tienen un verdadero sentido del humor . Llegaron los restos del naufragio atrás y muestran con orgullo que en su vestíbulo en su museo, una especie de comentario silencio sobre
    "Mira cómo algunas personas meterse con nuestras creaciones. "

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #2 DeSoto, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Hi.

The Tapiro was one of my favourite Porsches of all times. Pity that Giuigaro only made one, and that it got destroyed later.

I´ve heard three or four versions about the cause of the fatal ending of the Tapiro; the dissident workers was one. Some say that the bomb was planted by ETA terrorists. Others that the car was destroyed when the building where it was stored caught fire.

As far as I know, those stories are false: the Tapiro was owned by Argentinian composer Waldo de los Rios, who bought the car around 1974. He used it for a few months, till one day, when driving around Madrid, the car caught fire accidentally (I´ve been told, don´t know if true, that 914s caught fire quite easily due some defective fuel lines). The "spontaneous combustion" version was told years later by Waldo de los Rios wife, who was travelling in another car just behind the Tapiro when that happened.

The remains of the Tapiro were stored outdoors in an estate owned by Waldo de los Rios, till he died in 1977. A friend of the ex-owner asked the widow if he could restore the car, but that guy nor restored nor gave the car back to the widow. The chassis languished in a scrapyard in Castellón and later in a warehouse; many years ago (pre-Internet years, for sure) I remember reading an article in a Spanish classic cars´magazine about that "mistery car", with a picture of the bare chassis. And then finally Giugiaro found it.