Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers | FerrariChat

Adhesives, Sealants and Cam covers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I'm finally ready to begin the reassembly of my GTC engine (just a reseal, no engine work, heads not removed). I spoke at length with the tech guy at Permatex who said that the timing chain cover, pans and t-stat housing could all be done with only Ultra Gray, no gaskets. This sounded completely unAmerican (and unItalian, I suppose) to me. Heresy, even. But, I've heard this before. Is this line of thinking due to the idea that today's more modern sealants are much better than they were back in the day when the cars were built?

Also, he suggested "high tack" on the cam covers, not RTV. Any thoughts?

Forgive my X-posting with Tom's site (my usual practice). thanx. s

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    He's never built a Ferrari engine so has no points of reference to give such bad advice.

To start with eliminating the thick gasket on the chain cover could cause alignment or spacing issues. A careful examination would be required to know if that may become a problem. I know from experience that eliminating a valve cover gasket in some engine designs can cause rocker arms to hit the valve cover. Sometimes just the thickness of the gasket makes a real difference. Also if the surface of the various castings is not perfectly parallel and flat it may cause unneeded stresses in the front cover when you bolt it on. The gasket is compressible enough to help with that. It may also create a problem because of the O rings between the casting to seal water and oil. Now those O rings have to compress the amount of the gasket plus the designed in amount of crush. They are pretty hard and may not want to crush that far. I almost never put sealant over the entire valve cover gasket, but only at the corners where gaps need filling. High Tack will fail miserably at that. What High Tac will do is make getting the covers off very difficult and getting the gasket material off a living hell.

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx so much for your advice, Brian. steve

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #4 Bryanp, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Many years ago, I used PTFE tape on the cam covers (nowhere else!) and had no drops/seepage for the last several years I owned the car (QM). I think I saw it described on the C/4 site. If you care deeply about concours points, then you would not use PTFE since it presents as a thick white gasket; but if you care more about your cam covers not leaking, it worked very well for me; no other goop needed. I'd be interested in Brian's take on that.

5. machineryhill

machineryhill Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I always use the original type gaskets everywhere on my 330GTC, and I suppose original engines leaked a little from new. But they didn't have such great flexible sealant back then. I've been using Loctite 515 and more recently 518 on my old aluminum car and motorcycle engines for years and it's excellent. No oil leaks from the seals I've replaced. Also easy to clean these off with lacquer thinner next time you open it up. I always file or lap cover gasket surfaces prior to sealing just to get rid of any pry marks from all the hacks who worked on it over the years. Be sure to torque the bolts correctly to prevent warping the covers.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I use the thick green gaskets for the cam covers, and have never had a leak. No goop.

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx guys. Glassman, where did you get the "thick green gaskets"? steve

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Find Brian K.......he will know where they come from if he doesn't sell them.

9. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Yeah, where are thick green gaskets produced and who sells them?
    There are a lot of Brian K's in the world.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

If you don't know who Brian is, you haven't bought a lot of Ferrari parts.
    I'm not giving out personal information. Ask around or maybe he will respond.
    GT car parts may also have them.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Sealants go a long way to prevent leaks, but one thing that is just as important is re-torquing the cam cover nuts. After the first drive, you'll find the need to turn the nuts a good 1/3 to 1/4 turn to get up to the 5 lbs/ft. You will need to re-torque again after the third/fourth drives. After that the nuts tend to hold at 5 lbs.

john

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    John, thanx for the advice of re-torquing those cam cover acorns.

Glassman, I'm kinda with "12659"....tho' I've bought Ferrari parts of 15 years, I know a Brian C (Crall, excellent Ferrari mechanic in the Austin, Tx area) and another excellent Ferrari mechanic, Brian (B)rown in Berkley, Cal and a best friend, Brian Kirshon, but he doesn't know a cam cover gasket from wrench, but no Brian K who sells Ferrari parts. Not sure why you didn't want to be more forthcoming with his name, as it could only help his business, not hurt it. And, you did afterall, call out "GT Car Parts".

Being both confused and curious, I ran this by my wife, who suggested the good old "Google search", which I did. Indeed, at least at the time this thread was active, December of '12, Brian K. worked at Ferrparts.

Here's the FC thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/391434-caution-about-ferrparts-com.html

If you read the thread, you gotta walk away thinkin' that at best, Ferrparts earned a mixed, inconsistent review.

I've had a large number of purchases from GT Car Parts over the last 12 or so years and have always found them to be knowledgeable, well-stocked, fairly priced, friendly and quick. The owner is (shhhhh....don't tell anyone) BILL YOUNG, and he's a great guy with whom to work, tho' I admit I miss Dave DiBernardo who just retired after lifetime in the biz.

steve meltzer

13. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Hello everyone, THE Brian K. here. Been in the Ferrari biz since 1985, so I have one year of experience repeated 31 times. Sold a few parts along the way and still selling them at T.Rutlands in ATL area. Let me know if I can help.

14. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I can vouch for Brian. He is one of the best in the business!

As far as sealants, my personal preference is Anerobic sealer. I use it on just about everything. It never solidifies into chunks like RTV silicone does, so god forbid a chunk breaks loose in the motor, it wont plug oil or other passages. It also seals amazing. I have used it on water, oil, and even fuel applications.

In my experience the only thing that leaks more than a vintage Ferrari is a vintage Harley Davidson. I discovered the Anerobic through my experience working on vintage Ferraris, and now use it religiously on my personal vintage Harleys. I love the stuff!

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Did you get my happy birthday e-mail. No idea your current e-mail or if the date was correct.........

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I doubt that you will find any negative comments about Brian in particular. He has worked at just about every Ferrari parts department in the US........at least where its warm anyway.

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I'd make 2 comments here...

1) Patrick, are you using the Permatex 518 anaerobic gasket maker? (or loctite equivaent)

2) I'd like to emphasize that I was only reporting what was previously published about Ferrparts, and specifically I made no comments about Brian Keegan, personally, other than he worked there. In fact, I think I may have purchased something from him in the past, tho' I don't have any specific recollection of same. Now that I know who he is, his name did sound familiar. steve

18. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Yes Glassman, did get the birthday greetings, thanks for remembering!
    Steve, no worries, its all good. If you have any questions or need parts help, let me know.
    I am happy to help!

19. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    #19 steve meltzer, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    I would always do my very best not to impugn the reputation of someone with whom I'd never dealt. Interestingly, Brian, I have your email (@TRutlands) in my (fairly extensive) data base! We've almost certainly spoken before. steve

20. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Steve,

This is the exact product I've used with great success. I believe there is also a "high temp" version, but I have no experience with it. I have never has issues with this product failing due to heat issues, and I've used it in multiple applications on Ferrari engines, as well as air cooled Harleys.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/anaerobic-gasket-makers-flange-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/

Let me know if you have any other questions!

21. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx so much. s

22. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    No problem Steve! Best of luck with your project!

23. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i found that the judicious use of "Brake clean" seems to do a good job of cleanup. Lacquer thinner, my go to solvent, not so much. s