Air intake cat/diff/cv cooling duct delete? | FerrariChat

Air intake cat/diff/cv cooling duct delete?

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm looking at removing the sound deadening material in my airbox and whilst working out how to take the box off to do this, I noticed the air intake's spur pointing air downwards towards the diff/CV area.

It seems its purpose is mainly to help cool the cats on US cars. My cats are removed. Is there any benefit in now blocking this duct to increase induction airflow further? My fluid mechanics knowledge wasn't great even when studying the subject, so I've really no idea what airflow effects are happening here. Opinions please :)

2. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    After removal of my own cats, I found a new, longer hose which was of the correct I.D. and then pointed it to blow air onto the alternator.

Tucked up under the front header as it is, I can easily imagine that the alternator gets pretty cooked, and I figured that any fresh air that I could steer that way would certainly help.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    iifc reading here that duct was for the rr inner cv joint. There are twin metal ducts on the rear wheel well that cool the cats. One each side.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think that blocking off the cv branch cooling duct will have any effect on engine intake air flow. Ferrari didn't design a 2.927 liter eight cylinder engine that consumes (x) cubic feet of air per minute at 7,700 rpm and then plumb it to an intake tube that will only pass (x-5) cubic feet of air per minute. ;)

5. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    +1

6. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, Ferrari designed an airbox for a 2.927 litre engine padded out with sound insulation that certainly does restrict airflow ;)

Does this duct also exist on Euro cars? I had the impression it was on US cars only, hence my thought process..

7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've read diff, cv and cats so there doesn't seem to be consensus on this. The parts manual identifier seems to indicate diff primarily.

8. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 78 parts manual has it on table 102

[​IMG]

But on the UK diagram from Maranello Parts, it doesn't appear: Image Unavailable, Please Login

So I presume the US car needed it for the cats (just as the cats also needed more venting via extra engine cover louvres). And the original Ferrari design delivered a slightly higher volume of air to the Webers. Have I misunderstood this? Is there something different with the CV or diff on the US cars vs Euro?

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It wasn't to cool the cats; it was to cool the diff and cv (particularly their grease), because the the cats generated excess heat by trapping exhaust gasses. I deleted my airbox sound baffling (deceptively harder that it looks in the forum pics) and useless pneumatic flap, and I think it's made a difference in performance, but a HUGE difference in sound:) I kept the secondary branch tube to the diff, and can tell you the car can be run to its limit without suffering a loss of air to the engine.

10. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ok, understood. But it was still a direct effect of the cats. If the cats aren't there, then it seems this spur isn't necessary. Isn't the airbox receiving 10 maybe 25% less air volume if the intake is venting elsewhere on a spur? Whether this matters or not, I have no idea. Some people have reported (even measured) more power with the sound insulation out because it restricts airflow. Well how about the spur? No impact whatsoever?

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Obviously didn't measure with an airflow meter, but makes a notable difference to have the sound baffling gone. Bear in mind, the passenger (front bank) header literally kinks around the passenger axle, and the rear header coils up right atop the diff, so certainly couldn't hurt to keep some cool circulation there.

12. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Justin. Any good tips you can share? Would you have proceeded differently faced with the job second time around?

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #13 wildcat326, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Lemme see if I can find the pics from my restoration that will better illustrate it. Basically, the perforated mesh that retains the fiberglass batting is actually seriously tough steel. Snips won't do the trick. It is tack welded to the airbox along its periphery, but they're good welds. So you've got a piece of heavy metal mesh and solid welds that need to be ground off by a grinding tool, but the airbox metal itself is relatively thin and susceptible to cutting. At first I tried grinding into the middle of the mesh and trying to pry away the mesh from the welds. No dice, and the burning fiberglass was no fun. In the end, several careful grinds at the wider part of the airbox, but the real difficulty is when you get to the narrow snout section (and you'll find that normal grinding tools don't reach). I found that a sharp chisel and careful blows with a heavy hammer made quick work of the welds. Also twisting the snout section mesh with a pair of good pliers helped pry it off. There's a ton of fiberglass stuffed in there, so wet it or wear a mask when you pull it out.

vaccarella likes this.
  14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  15. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    It makes a nice sound difference.

I always thought the drop pipe was to prevent some sort of ram air effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is what came out of my airbox!

Regarding the cooling tube coming off the bottom of the fiberglass air intake, everyone has a speculation and a new theory. Its really simple. Its a cooling tube for the passenger, inner CV joint because that joint is surrounded by the exhaust tubes. Its not for the cats, its not for the differential. Its for the CV joint.

If you attach a tube to the fiberglass opening it makes a natural path to the CV joint area. The cats are cooled by air under the car, going through the engine compartment and out the extra, side to side vents that are in the USA cars. Think of how big that vent is and how small the CV cooling tube is and do you really think the Ferrari engineers would design such a small tube to cool two super hot catalytic converters. Use logic and common sense. Also the differential has huge metal fins surrounding it to dissipate the heat. A small tube is not going to cool it down. Use logic and common sense.

To all the speculators, please give the Ferrari engineers some credit. They got most of the 308 correct. Isn't that why you own one and enjoy driving it?

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is there some hard data to prove this? I'm pretty sure the most restrictive point in the entire system are the intake valves, not the air filter or its inlet. Why on earth would they design an air cleaner that couldn't pass the amount of air the engine would demand at full rpm? It would be the easiest component to change in order to accommodate what is required. I get the desire for more noise but I don't think you're getting more air from this alteration.

18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why is it there on some cars and not others? And why is it labelled "diff" in the parts catalogue? It seems to be only on US carb cars (but not the very early ones). Injected cars don't appear to have it. Someone may have better info; I've only checked a few parts diagrams available on the web.

19. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
  20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    '73-'77 US version only have air injection (no cats); '78-'79 US have air injection and cats so the underbonnet temp situation is more difficult.

The online 308i-2V SPC are only euro version (never seen a US 308i-2V SPC online after FDB shut down - and not sure FDB even had one). Although the euro don't have the dedicated tube, I believe that they do have a sort of crescent moon shaped opening in the bottom of the duct to let some air into the engine compartment and to let any rain/water that enters drain out (rather than being forced into the intake tract).

vaccarella likes this.
  21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the link Paul, that is an interesting thread. Still, I've seen these sorts of discussions in other forums through the years which entail a good deal of "armchair engineering" based on what people perceive simply by looking at the appearance of things but not on any actual math. In my opinion you need to look at the size of the intake valve in the cylinder and realize that only one of those is open at any given instant. So it seems to me that any limit on the "flow" of air through the entire intake system is going to be determined by that. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the way I've always seen it.

vaccarella likes this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Additional data point, fwiw - my 84 Euro QV side air inlet duct does have the side outlet for the CV joint cooling tube (if we're going to refer to it as such), but my car, when I got it at 29 years of age, did not have an actual hose connected to that outlet.

My car was very original and complete when I bought it, but not guaranteed - so we can say that the intake duct on Euro QVs did also have that side outlet, but may not have had the hose to direct air onto the right side CV joint.

vaccarella likes this.
  23. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just came across this other pic showing the airbox obstruction. That entire opening becomes unblocked if the sound baffling is removed. Also, there's a pic of the condition in which I found my branch tube. My notes say that the replacement I sourced is a GATES 28081 hose, for anyone interested.

I remember being told by my mechanic at some point that these hoses are attached in a somewhat clumsy way, and that - because they are directly in the way of doing the belt change, they often are just ripped out and not carefully replaced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

vaccarella likes this.