ALERT! Mass Registered F Cars | FerrariChat

ALERT! Mass Registered F Cars

Discussion in 'New England' started by Nospinzone, Aug 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Or actually any car for that matter. This month I had my car in for the yearly state inspection sticker. Of course the car is always in perfect working order, but somehow I can't seem to find a place to mount the front license plate. Well my guy said starting in October the Registry is installing 4 cameras in his inspection bay. He actually showed me where they marked the location of the cameras on the walls of his shop. They can view all sides of the vehicles being inspected, and can remotely view those cameras at any time.

He told me I'd have to somehow mount the front license plate because he can't afford to lose his inspection station certification. I assume the Registry is rolling this out statewide and probably not all camera systems are being installed in October, but it surely is coming eventually to an inspection station near you.

I have a year to explore options like the clip on plate holder or the kind that screws into the tow hook. If anyone has another alternative, post it here. He told me using zip ties would not be acceptable, it has to be "permanent".

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The clip on works great and is easily removable when you wish. It's a well executed design and decent answer to a vexing, annoying, and ugly problem. No, I don't like front plates!!

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Some shops already have them, actually many of them have had at least one for years.
    One way around this is to get a lost plate receipt from the registry.
    Report a lost plate at the beginning of the season and drive all summer with it in hand.

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Here is what is written as it pertains to afixing plates: They need to be "attached". Who says how they need to be attached? Zip tying satisfies this.

Section 6: Display of number plates; temporary number plates

Section 6. Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar in accordance with section two or five or by temporary number plates authorized by the registrar as hereinafter provided, one number plate to be attached at the front and one at the rear of said motor vehicle, and one number plate to be attached at the rear of said trailer, but if the registrar issues but one number plate it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle so that it shall always be plainly visible. The said number plates shall be kept clean with the numbers legible and shall not be obscured in any manner by the installation of any device obscuring said numbers, and during the period when the vehicle or trailer is required to display lights the rear register number shall be illuminated so as to be plainly visible at a distance of sixty feet. No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, shall be displayed on any motor vehicle or trailer so operated; provided, that a motor vehicle or trailer which by reason of its interstate operation is registered in this commonwealth and elsewhere may display the register number plates of this and any other state or country in which it is registered, if, while being operated on the ways of this commonwealth, the number plates furnished by the registrar, or temporary number plates authorized by him as hereinafter provided, are displayed as required hereby. If any number plate supplied by the registrar is lost or mutilated or if the register number thereon becomes illegible, the owner or person in control of the vehicle for which said number plate was furnished shall make application for a new number plate, and thereupon the registrar shall issue to such applicant a permit allowing him to place a temporary number plate bearing his register number on said vehicle until a number plate of the regular design is made and delivered to said applicant; provided, that all such temporary number plates and the register numbers thereon shall conform to the regular number plates and be displayed as nearly as may be as herein provided for said regular number plates. Any motor vehicle or trailer may, if duly registered, be operated, pushed, drawn or towed or remain upon any way between the hours of twelve o'clock noon on the date on which its registration expires and twelve o'clock noon on the following day, if the following day is the first day of the new registration period, and if such vehicle or trailer displays its register number for either registration period as otherwise required by this section.

If anyone has a green plate and is told that they need to get the red ones, this is incorrect. The law states that the plate must be clearly legible. They can't make you get red plates if your green plate is legible. Additionally, I was told that you can't have a frame on your plate at all. Again not true. The frame is acceptable if it does not block the numbers and state.

Inspection stations are not always clear on the laws. I had to provide my inspection station with a copy of the above in order to get a sticker.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ferrari of New England gave me one of those tow hook plate holders, they are cheap and effective. Carbonio makes one that will fit your car an is removable but they are $200 or so ... kind of hard to justify for something that is on the car for an hour every couple of years.

I kind of WISH I still lived in Mass. because I just got the damn Rhode Island excise tax bill for my 13 California ... $3500. They take the high retail number off NADA and you're stuck with it ... regardless of mileage, condition, etc. 97 percent of appeals fail because all they do is check the VIN# to make sure the model and year are correct.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually you demonstrated yours for me at Tutto this year, thanks again!

I don't think those were registry cameras, just the garage's private cameras. Apparently these are now going to be connected back to the registry. As far as the lost plate receipt, I have heard of that before, but how long can you drive on it? I mean if a cop stops you in August and the receipt is dated from April, wouldn't he know it only takes a few weeks?

Wow, I had no idea RI was so expensive on excise tax. And people in Mass. try to register their cars in NH to evade our excise tax. It certainly isn't bad compared to yours.

7. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    double sided tape the day of inspection, then remove once you leave

sv211nautique likes this.
  8. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    can a link to "The Clip On" be posted? Sounds like a winner.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'll do so when I get home and can find the link. No problem

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    For the record, NH excise is highest for years 1-5, but as of today, a 2012 car would now be at its lowest point. For reference, a 2008 exotic with a MSRP of 136k, is about $355 a year in excise, plus $43 for plates.

A 1983 Mondial had an MSRP of 50ish K, and the excise in $163 a year, plus $6 for antique plates.

If your excise is still $3,500 a year, just go the Montana route. A lawyer out there needs to eat too, right?

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Thank You Eric.

13. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    We've been hearing about the front plate laws in other states, the draconian penalties in some European countries, and now Massachusetts is tightening up their enforcement on this front plate issue.

The Carbonio No-Drill plate holder solves this problem by mounting the plate securely at the front of the vehicle without having to drill any holes, or damaging the vehicle in any way. The plate is then easily removed with no tools in seconds for car washes, cruises, car shows, track events, or in this case put on for inspection.
    We have a mount for almost every Ferrari from 1948 to present. Check your local dealer as many are carrying our brackets, or visit us online at: http://www.carbonio.com/License_Plate_Frames_s/106.htm[​IMG]

14. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Ferrari of New England has adopted our front license plate mounting solutions for their customers and are currently stocking them in their parts department. With just about every Ferrari model from 1948-present supported you can be sure to have your license plate mounting worries taken away.