Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Dec 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That V6 turbo nose looks pretty dam sexy to me, unfortunately I will have to settle for the 2.0 version.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed...it looks great!

4. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The second picture the lower section looks a bit like and Audi to me. It's not a bad thing but you would think that Alfa would have come up with something more original.

Also no fog lights on the V6 turbo?

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #280 F1tommy, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    New Alfa Romeo updated....updated and updated again plan. Maybe when M retires someone with good taste will start picking the body designs for Alfa. The Giulia is a dead ringer for a BMW 3 series with an Alfa grill and Toyota Camry tail lights. With all the cool Alfa concepts over the past few years this is the best they could do???

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/337-car-lounge/2161-alfa-romeo-delays-models-promises-others-brand-update.html

https://www.autoedizione.nl/alfa-romeo-plan-officieel-uitgesmeerd-tot-2020/

And 4 cylinder engine info......This has to be the base for the 276 Alfa motor as FIAT can't afford to make another engine from scratch.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/11/what-exactly-irricane-engine-30625

Atleast we will get the Giulia V6 Turbo and maybe some other versions.....

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    More rants............

On The Table - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

"Sergio Marchionne. Editor-In-Chief's Note: Well, the King of the Carpetbagging Mercenaries finally came out with a new Plan today, which replaced the last Plan, which replaced the Plan before that and the Plan before that, which replaced that other plan from five years ago. Oh, never mind, you get the picture. Sergio's "plans" over the years have changed with the proverbial winds, and it's only when his pronouncements look so utterly foolish and he's about to be laughed out of the room that he's forced to say something to somebody about a "new" plan. Needless to say, I have documented "Sergio's Folly" - his ludicrous obsession with projecting the Alfa Romeo brand as "the next Audi" by 2018 - long before any analyst ever came to grips with the futility of the idea, but that's neither here nor there at this juncture. The bottom line is that today Sergio admitted that he's got Jeep, some pickup trucks and oh by the way he has Jeep, and everything else is just a pipe dream and/or a monumental waste of time. And the Alfa Romeo Giulia is allegedly supposed to go into production by March, but absolutely no one believes it, at least no one who knows anything about the chaotic product cadence that has become a time-honored specialty of FCA. So here we are. "

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #282 F1tommy, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #283 F1tommy, Feb 5, 2016
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Interesting they say laf is only hybrid ever by fca? Never a minivan or sedan? Surprising but that is one heck of a hybrid

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #287 F1tommy, Feb 19, 2016
    Well the SUV is on the way, within 2-4 years:)... Can hardly wait. Named it Stelvio after the Pirelli racing tires from the 1950's :) ...well not really. Here is the first spy shot of the actual SUV truck that was leaked. I expect to see these on my bumper in traffic by 2019.

https://www.autoedizione.nl/alfa-romeo-denkt-aan-stelvio-als-naam-eerste-suv/

Looks like Maserati is slipping...... The US economy is good so they can't blame all the 2015 slumping sales on that like they are trying to do with Chinese sales.

http://www.allpar.com/news/2016/02/slow-sales-idle-maserati-workers-31292
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Maserati sales are fairly consistent considering the type of product they offer and limited dealerships.

They actually seem to be doing better in 2016, sales are up in almost all markets and the Levante should obviously help.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #289 isuk, Feb 19, 2016
  14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Maserati's problem? They sort of ruined the Quattroporte--the Ferrari designed previous version was great and I for one am a fan of the DuoSelect--I'd prefer a real manual, but at least the DuoSelect drives like a manual.

The Ghibli is sort of meh.......I had one for a weekend in which I did a road trip. It sounds good, but that was about it. It was sort of cheap, although I admit it was a base model and not an S or Q4.

The GranTurismo is beautiful, but now all of their cars are regular slushbox automatics...similar to the outgoing Jag XK....no thanks. At least Aston Martin offers a manual in the segment.

I don't know. A few years ago I would walk by a Maserati dealership and really enjoy the QP.....the Coupe was oddly designed at the time, but the QP was mega.

Now? It's just meh.......

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #291 bjwhite, Feb 19, 2016

Oh really? :)

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #292 F1tommy, Feb 20, 2016
    They had all the new Alfa's at the Chicago Auto Show this week and I took some photos. I have to say I was suprised at the quality of the Alfa and Maserati brochures this year. In this day and age of begging to get anything printed from a car company this was most welcome.

No engine shots allowed. They only would open the doors. Their claim is that these are prototypes and they don't want them damaged. The 4C's were also locked up and I would assume those were not prototypes after a year of production :). I think I counted 4 or 5 Giulia's on display. They were mostly ugly grey colored.

On the Giulia styling, it looks like all the rest. Pretty much a 3 series BMW with an Alfa grill and Toyota Camry style tail lights. Although the BMW 3 series is a nice looking car, we have seen it and other cars like it already. Alfa is supposed to be different, but with M picking the designs we can count on more of the mainstream coming from them. I threw in a Maserati photo also from the show. Nice looking car, but as long as a small truck!!!

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And that's my complaint right now about the Guilia--granted I haven't seen one in person--but the photos are exactly that. A BMW with an Alfa grille is the best explanation. I strongly prefer Alfas that have a little quirk--I loved the 155 and 33 and 75. That's why I have a Milano and love the styling. Oh well.

It's better than them going the way of Saab and Lancia though.....that's for damn sure.

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #294 ypsilon, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Well from the next Audi to a BMW....

At least that's progress.

Opinions, opionions, opinions......

Reality is the Alfa 155 was a tarted up Lancia Delta II, which was a tarted up Fiat Tipo.

The new Guilia is at least a completely new model which seems technically sound.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Under the skin everyone has to agree the Q V6 turbo 2.9 is an amazing car. The body could have been more original but it still looks good. I just wish the styling stood out from the crowd alot more. No one can deny it looks just like a BMW 3 series from the side.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Would be kind of funny if it were not true....more rants.......

Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

"AUTOEXTREMIST EXCLUSIVE © 2016 Autoextremist.com, Inc.

Detroit. I’m going to be right up front about the breaking news today, because as you read this Sergio Marchionne’s grand promise of the rejuvenation of the Fiat brand in the U.S is dangling by a thread. Why? The original five-year agreements that dealer principals signed based on the promises put forth by Marchionne back in 2011 are coming up for renewal, and needless to say, there’s big trouble out in Auburn Hills, because a majority of dealers are having none of it.

As a refresher, let me remind readers out there that the dealer agreements in question were solicited by Marchionne, doing his best P.T. Barnum imitation, on the promise that these dealers would be getting in on the ground floor of the next great automotive brand in America, an Italian-American juggernaut that would have dealers start out by selling successful, fuel-efficient Fiat models “built for the times” in the short term, with the promise that they’d be swimming in a seductive array of Alfa Romeo products in the long term. Marchionne in fact repeatedly told the dealers that Alfa would be “the next Audi” by 2018, which turned out to be a flat-out lie.

And, as if that weren’t enough, Marchionne insisted that these dealers commit to brick and mortar for new Fiat-exclusive stores to underscore his “vision,” even though his “vision” would cost the dealers at least $1-$2 million (and for some, much more).

And now, in an Autoextremist exclusive, the news for FCA is not only Not Good, it’s veering toward a Doomsday Scenario, because as you read this there’s an exceedingly ugly realization going on among Fiat dealers across the country that what was promised by Marchionne hasn’t been delivered. Not even close, in fact. And they’re pushing back, hard, telling FCA to go pound sand. And at this very moment Sergio and his espresso-swilling minions are being faced with the very real possibility that a majority of the Fiat dealers are not planning to renew their franchise agreements."

On the difference between Europe and America on Alfa dealers, Alfa wants to go upscale and America is the main reason. They have been selling cheaper Alfa models in Europe for years at shared brand dealers. Look at what the Japanese did in America to understand the up scale market. They did not sell Lexus in Toyota dealers or Infinity at Nissan dealers. So why did FIAT try to sell Alfa's at FIAT dealers??

21. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I have a Ghibli QS4 and a new M3 which I can cross compare both brands. Price wise they are similar although I picked up the Ghibli with a $16k discount last year, but tech and feature wise they are years apart. I love the Ghibli's styling, sound, and performance but I feel that they rushed the car to the market. I can see customers passing on both Maserati sedans for their lack of tech. and options which is standard on the higher end 5 series and E class. The cars are somewhat quirky and there most likely will be a Chrysler/Fiat law suit with the detent-less shifter they have on most models. I don't see how their sales will increase this year when they were just O.K. in '15, and '16 doesn't offer that much more. Hopefully they do a better job with the Giulia.

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I was able to drive one for a week in Miami and would agree with your statement. The car's overall styling, sound, performance and handling were fantastic but in other areas, it did not feel like a 90$k plus car. I'm sure some of those details will be addressed with the Levante and refreshed Ghibli-Quattroporte.

Jaguar has similar issues albeit much more affordable and it's pricing is usually in line with the Germans.

The next batch of Maseratis should narrow the gap.

23. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I rented a Ghibli for a week and I could never get it in reverse on first try. No idea what they were thinking. Also noted the camera looked terrible. Cool car but way behind on tech. My Jag has been great, but suffers from similar tech lag.

Hope Alfa works it out, however, I'm doubtful we see them in mass quantities anytime soon.

-dsd

24. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    There is currently an NTSB investigation on the Chrysler/Fiat shifters for exactly that reason. The Maserati one is more or less a by product of the Fiat shift levers and is unsafe. I've left the car accidentally in reverse once or twice in a hurry after thinking it was shifted into P from drive.
    The rear camera is horrible and useless at night. Something tells me from all these delays that the Giulia will suffer the same issues. My M3 on the other hand is boring to drive yet predictable.