Alonso to miss Monaco GP to race at Indycar! | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Alonso to miss Monaco GP to race at Indycar!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Thesaurus:

Adj.
    1. genetic - occurring among members of a family usually by heredity; "an inherited disease"; "familial traits"; "genetically transmitted features"
    hereditary, inherited, transmitted, familial, transmissible
    heritable, inheritable - capable of being inherited; "inheritable traits such as eye color"; "an inheritable title"

2. genetic - of or relating to or produced by or being a gene; "genic combinations"; "genetic code"
    genetical, genic

3. genetic - pertaining to or referring to origin; "genetic history reconstructs the origins of a literary work"

4. genetic - of or relating to the science of genetics; "genetic research"

Are you sure you don't mean pedantic?

2. Yup. I'm sure.

'Always been inquisitive. 'Been told since the time i could talk. I didn't work on it, so I assume it's genetic.... ;) :)

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Unnecessarily argumentative would be my judgement.

What do you want to prove by dissecting people's posts to score cheap points?

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You think this is bad? You should see his PM's. LOL!

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There certainly are a few pedantic folks in the F1 section but I wouldn't include LorenzoBandini(or you William) among them.

6. Thtop you all....thtop pickin on me..... ;( ;( ;(

:D

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I still want to know how you survived the Monaco incident :p

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Just let people have an opinion without dismissing them by your sarcasms, even if you don't agree with them.

It's just common forum curtesy.

9. I'll consider your suggestion (If I had thinner skin, I'd be offended and consider it a command).

My suggestion...work outside and grow some thicker skin. You might enjoy my posts. :)

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Why wouldn't he? He's not crazy, he'll probably stay on that side of the pond in those 2 weeks...

Who knows, posibility his high of a certain unknown racer cold Ernando Falonso racing that weekend in an orange Mini...:D

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Are we talking to Mike Tyson :D ;)

12. #437 lorenzobandini, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    dupelicate deleted

13. I defer to the quote above your response.... rofl

(in other words, for those that don't git my humour....good one :D)

14. #439 lorenzobandini, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Alonso started packing his bags immediately after 'Qualy' in Sochi.His nightmare will never end until he finally quits F1.

I expect him to screw up at Indy and Button to finish in the points at Monaco.:)

Then what will be his next little tantrum and demand?

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso gets $30 million a year from Honda and McLaren. The probably another 10-20 million in his own sponsorship deals.

Even if we just take his salary, that's about $1.67 Million per race during the F1 season. That must include his run at Indy substituting Monaco (don't forget Honda and Mac are paying Button probably $500,000 to run one race in Alonso's car).

If he wins Indy, he gets $1M.

Chicken feed!

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2.5m to Rossi last year for winning FYI.

18. #443 lorenzobandini, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Then what was the net for the team? 'Total for first 6-7 million7-8 million? Not.

Methinks (no, I'm sure) the first place prize was the $2,548,743...what Rossi's percentage was, I have no clue. He got 100%? I seriously don't think so. The gross payout goes to the entrant (in that case Team Andretti), then the team pays the driver his percentage.
    Anyone privy to the contract? Rossi's or Alonso's?

Again not trying to be "offensive" or "impolite"; but do prefer facts as opposed to fiction to make one's point, so excuse my genetics, please. And no, I'm not trying to be humorous this post.

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    "in harder times in which to do so..."? :confused:

I would say that "back in the day", it was actually a lot easier to switch racing categories than it is today.

For a start, the cars in all racing categories were nowhere near as complex as they are today.

Whether it was an F1 car, a GT car, an Indy car, a touring car, or even a rally car, in the past, all you had to deal with was a steering wheel, a throttle/brake and clutch pedal, a gear stick, and maybe a brake balance dial/lever, and that was it! There were no complex computer control systems to learn, no trick differentials to master, no special electrical charging procedures to be mastered. Back then, a driver could simply get in any race car, without ever having driven it before, take it on track and go fast.

Basically, a car was just a car. Yes the driver would have to adapt their driving style to suit the category, but an F1 car still had the same simple mechanical layout as any other racing car.

Next, "back in the day", there were far fewer Grand Prix/F1 races taking up the drivers time, giving them far more time to go off and get used to other cars from other racing categories:

1950: 7 races
    1960: 10 races
    1970: 13 races
    1980: 14 races
    1990: 16 races
    2000: 17 races
    2010: 19 races
    2017: 20 races

And added to all that, away from the races back then, the drivers didn't have the sponsorship commitments to deal with that modern day drivers have to do. They didn't have to catch planes here there and everywhere throughout the week in order to fulfil their contractual obligations for the teams and sponsors.

The racing was more dangerous "back in the day", but drivers didn't need a computer programming degree to be able to operate the cars back then, and they had plenty of time to go off and have a play elsewhere in a different racing category.

Sorry, but the reason drivers in the past used to drive in other categories a lot more than modern drivers do, is because it was a lot easier to do - Not harder!

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1 and the drivers needed the money.

BTW, to all, there is no way Alonso is doing Indy for the money. This is a pride thing, far more important than money.
    Pete

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Totally agree.......Fernando Alonso isn't worrying too much about whether to pay the Mortgage or the gas bill each month - This has got nothing to do with the money!

Here's how I see this whole Alonso at the Indy 500 situation:

Alonso wants to be remembered as one of the all time great drivers, one of the legends of motor racing.

To do that, you need to either win multiple World Championships in your field (a la Michael Schumacher), win the F1 World Championship and the Motorcycling World Championship (a la John Surtees), or you need to do the Triple Crown of winning at Monaco, winning Le Mans, an winning the Indy 500 (A la Graham Hill).

He's got two F1 World Championships under his belt, but the last of those was 11 years ago, and there's little sign of another WDC coming his way any time soon. As it stands, all the history books will show is that later on in his career, he failed to live up to his earlier achievements (the facts of how that happened will mostly be ignored).

Winning the F1 WDC and the MotoGP Championship? - Too late!

So now he's going for option three: The Triple Crown - Win the three races required, and along with the F1 WDC's, you become a racing legend.

It's an ego thing. A desperate attempt to show the World that he was one of the best ever in his field, and highlight the fact that F1 dealt him a duff hand for most of his career (completely over looking the fact that he was pretty much the creator of his own downfall by always looking for the next team to join ASAP in the hope of an easy WDC victory).

Can he do the Triple Crown? - Possibly.
    If he does, will it make him a racing Legend? - More than likely.

The one message I get from this whole Indy 500 adventure though, is that, in his heart of hearts, Alonso knows he's not going to win another F1 WDC!

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Have no idea what drivers take on winning 500 today. In the past many drivers were 40-50%. but endorsements add up also!

23. "For a start, the cars in all racing categories were nowhere near as complex as they are today."

Absolutely. But that's not the driver's problem. That's the 100+ employees' problems back at the shops. (and the few engineers at the track, of course)

"Whether it was an F1 car, a GT car, an Indy car, a touring car, or even a rally car, in the past, all you had to deal with was a steering wheel, a throttle/brake and clutch pedal, a gear stick, and maybe a brake balance dial/lever, and that was it! There were no complex computer control systems to learn, no trick differentials to master, no special electrical charging procedures to be mastered. Back then, a driver could simply get in any race car, without ever having driven it before, take it on track and go fast."

The principles remain the same. The natural forces acting upon the cars remain. They don't design the above or write programs. What computer syatems do they have to learn? They just need to know how to push the buttons, as we do right here. I didn't know they had control of the diff...I thought that was comp controlled; guess you've got me there, but I'm not sure of that. 'Same with "mastering special electrical charging procedures". Aside from that stuff, do you think Indycars are all that difficult to learn compared to F!?

"Basically, a car was just a car. Yes the driver would have to adapt their driving style to suit the category, but an F1 car still had the same simple mechanical layout as any other racing car."

As they do today. You still have to maintain contact of those four tiny patches with the (far smoother and less undulating) surfaces with the same control of jounce, rebound, dive, squat, roll, brake balance. The drivers now have easier control of some of that now, along with control of the drivetrain ('haven't heard of a driver missing a shift lately whilst tugging on a paddle; a computer or pneumatics maybe, not the driver); floating some valves whilst overevving the engine (again computer controlled so it doesn't happen).

Don't think FA has a major task learning the "nowhere near as complicated" Indycar.

In short, I'm not confused by the hype that's fed to the masses that haven't an inkling of the realities of the sport. 'Same as the #s nearly falsely implied (again to those that haven't a clue) Such as "so and so" winning x amount of $$$ for winning or placing wherever. Some know that's what they won for the entrant.; it's not their share, as the masses assume because that's what's in print or stated. I live in Florida, but it's a real town near Fort Lauderdale, not a fantasyland (hint, hint) near Orlando. :)

Time for Russia. No mas. ;)

24. +1
    Like you said, "some". I'd be willing to wager it's less these days(teams expenses are far greater than back then), but that is just my fictitious guess. :)

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Again, you prop up facts without offering any. Hahaha.

No one knows his exact take because his contract is not public. The total purse was over 13m for the race.

That being said, it's not uncommon for pay drivers to negotiate up to 100% of winnings since they are paying for their seat anyway. I imagine Rossi was a pay driver last year (as he was in F1), but I haven't seen his contract; as I suspect you have not either.

http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/~/media/Files/2016/IndyCarSeries/06-IND/indycar-boxscore-with-money.pdf?la=en&vs=1&d=20160530T202108