Alonso to miss Monaco GP to race at Indycar! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alonso to miss Monaco GP to race at Indycar!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Sure adds excitement and interest to the 500. He is accomplishing nothing, again at McHonda so why not

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I doubt he will crash in the race solo. Most, all?, rookies crash in practice.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I more mean how Alonso has apparently made a joke of his career and WAS a good driver.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    On the other hand, Bas, you know as well as many do here that time flies fast in F1...is Fernando still as marketable as he was three years ago? Probably not at the same price, and he will be 36 this summer. I am sure that he is still able to race at the same level, and will be for at least five years, but is it so carved in stone that one of the Top Team would still be ready to sign him? I'm not so sure...

Rgds

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Copy that. Yah that's rubbish.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He wants to see how many different types McLaren Hondas he can lose races in. He's really making an art out of it.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Will he command the same $? Probably not, but mostly because faster teams know they can get him for cheap. He wants to win races, has a ****-ton of money and the car he's in, though pays loads, is barely capable of finishing. Give him a good car and I'm sure he'll drive for 1/4 price.

Speed goes with age, but he still has plenty. To say that he's made a joke of his career is rather strong.

8. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I attended a presentation by the race oil engineer for last year's Honda's Indy-winning entry; its amazing how much HP they're able to squeeze out of these engines without sacrificing engine life. I think Honda's engine will give Alonso a pretty good chance of winning.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    BS

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes I do agree, but he has not made the smartest moves either, even if their is always a part left to luck. But his last title was in 2006, more than ten years from now. Although I would be happy to see him collect one Grand Prix victory here and there, I'm sure that the tiger in him wants nothing else than another shot at the title. Will he get one? Seems doubtful to me, I have to say.

Rgds

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep he's made poor career choices (leaving Mclaren when he did, joining (and leaving?) Ferrari when he did, openly talks with RBR when he wasn't pleased with Ferrari, Joining Mclaren...

Will he get another shot at the title...well that's the thing isn't it? Mercedes will not have him (Lewis has said no), I seriously doubt Ferrari will because the chance of fireworks in the team is 100%, Red Bull won't pay his premium, they already have 2 of the best drivers for a smidgen of what Alonso will cost at a reduced rate (and Horner is too clever, with Verstappen there, there will also 100% be fireworks with Alonso on the other side).

Will Williams get a shot at the title...I think they're too conservative, they do have Paddy Lowe now but I think the chance of them legitimately going for the titles is quite small...

Mclaren remains the only bet he actually has (unless Lewis announces retirement tomorrow), and with Honda being in complete and utter shambles....will they?

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's exactly the way I see it. And that must be frustrating to him indeed...

Rgds

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Back when Mika Hakkinen was racing for McLaren Mercedes, it was tossed around that he'd run in a major Indy-series race, in a Mercedes powered car. He actually didn't want to do it, because of the extreme speeds and the fact that he--a two time WDC--did not have enough experience on an oval at 240 MPH to believe he could be as safe as needed. In other words, the oval and the speeds at Indy are so extreme, that the skills needed for that type of racing need to be practiced and one cannot simply jump into a car and be competent.

He had offers for Indy-series racing after he left F-1, and he took a few turns in a car at 240 MPH, but he could not get comfortable with the risk and margin for error at those speeds.

Mind you, this is from a guy who pulled off arguably the greatest pass in modern F-1 History, overtaking Schuey and and Zonda at Le Combs at 185 MPH on a damp track.

My prediction is that Alonzo will not have a clean race. And I fear something bad could happen. You don't just jump into an unfamiliar car at an unfamiliar track with an unfamiliar venue going 240 MPH with other drivers whose tactics you are unfamiliar and not have something go wrong. Woe be unto Honda if someone is injured.

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Do you think, perhaps, that McLaren and Honda sat down together and asked if they absolutely must be in F1? Perhaps the answer was "Hell No!"

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005

16. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Thanks for that episode, I wasn't aware of that but can fully understand Mika's concerns. Death seems closer at Ovals.
    That overtake was entertaining but overrated. Zonda opened the door on the right at the moment Schumacher pulled left. Mika did the perfect instant assessment and went for the right, being provided with the winning line for the next turn.
    It was entertaining unusual but not a great pass in that sense, in my opinion. Neither did Mika 'work for' that pass, nor did he not have a chance otherwise. It was a backmarker in the right spot at the right time. Anyone could have that off, it wasn't a result of ability.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I seem to recall that before Nigel Mansell made the move to CART he secured the TV rights(or part of) for broadcast in GB. I wonder who has the rights for the Indy 500 broadcast in Spain?

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    He has to qualify. You qualify the driver, not the car in indy. He can't have someone else qualify the car and then he jumps in it. So he has to be there for qualification also.

I hope this does not happen but if he crashes and puts himself out of the rest of the season Honda and McLaren aren't going to be happy about it. Indy takes it's toll like no other track in the world.

One thing for sure.. he would qualify in the back two rows at Monaco so there's nothing to gain.

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Let's see if Alonso can do better than Fangio did when he tried his hand at Indy.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm for it. I think it's good for Indy and it's good for F1.

BUT... Indy is a lot more dangerous.

If he doesn't qualify its going to be really damaging to his reputation in F1. But I'm sure he will, even without the track time others have had in indy cars.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Back when Mika had just retired (or taken his sabatical), this was just after Zanardi's terrifying and life changing crash which was still fresh on everyones mind...

Him being married and having a young kid at the time, I don't think he saw the point of taking huge risk just to prove a point.

Last year it was Rossi's second time on an oval, in 2010 it was Simona's di Silvestro 2nd time on an oval, and they both qualified and Rossi even won. I think Alonso will be fine. Yes some adjustments needed but I'm sure he can manage.

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Fascinating- as I persist in believing that Alonso is the best current F1 driver.
    Disappointing- only in that I'll miss seeing him race at MC this year.
    Ironic- (1) as others have noted, Alonso's best chance at a decent finish probably lies at MC, where the McLaren/Honda's power deficit will be minimized; & (2) every year the (mostly young) folks who watch the GP de MC from up on the Rocher unfurl a large and colorful Alonso banner visible far and wide, as he's especially popular with the crowd there.
    It may be harder for me to follow the Indy 500 action from MC (one of many reasons why I don't normally follow it), but I suspect Alonso's efforts will be big news there.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think this is great news. I don't think FA's goal in F1 is to just "get points," which I'm sure he could do in Monaco. The guy wants to win and I'm sure he has a better chance of that in a spec series like Indy than in F1 at the moment even without the experience.

I'm surprised McLaren didn't do this sort of thing when they paired with Honda a few years ago. It would've been great exposure for the north american market for their road and racing divisions. I love it that they're making the car papaya orange...

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think they show the race in Brasserie de Monaco on their big screens, or find another sports bar. Bound to be completely and utterly crowded, though.

25. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    My guess is that there's a "performance escape clause" in his McLaren contract and he is perceived to be contemplating leaving them. Fernando driving at Indy isn't a shock, but him missing Monaco indicates to me that he's fed up w/ driving his butt off for 12th place in F-1. I wonder what Montoya's reaction will be?
    Good luck Fernando!