Alonso to Renault again? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Alonso to Renault again?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like a plan to me. I need to figure out how to get more free time and put this in motion.

2. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
  3. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    Hello first post here.

Looks like Fernardo doesn't want to go back to Ferrari.

4. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Maybe I need to try and give Indy another chance but the last few times I've watched it I thought it was terrible. I'll have to give another go!

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Alonso to Renault again?

Highly unlikely, as Renault feel that they will only be competitive in 2019.

JULY 4, 2017

No Renault wins until 2019 says Abiteboul

Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that Renault might not be winning races by next year.

After buying the failing Lotus team, the French marque struggled in 2016 but has restored credibility this year.

"We wanted to establish ourselves in the midfield this year," team boss Abiteboul told Auto Motor und Sport. "We succeeded in that, even if we would like to climb a bit higher in the ranking."

But the Frenchman said it might take much longer before actual race wins start to come.

"Victories must be possible in 2019," said Abiteboul. "It sounds like a long time, but it is not. We know where the top teams are.

"Formula one is about people," he explained. "If I sign someone today, I have to wait one to two years before I can use that talent, so it only has an impact on the 2020 car."

6. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    I do not think those statements have anything to do with Alonso, sure he wants to win races but to do that he needs to be in a Mercedes or Ferrari (Redbull probably won't happen), so his next best option is Renault. And while Renault might not be ready to win races next season, they should be challenging for podiums and they need Alonso in their driver lineup if they want to do that.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Exactly. That's an old article as well. It's easy for me to sit here and say I wouldn't have a 250 GTO when those no chance of me having one anyway. Lol

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Alright ladies and gents, I understand the history with Alonso and Ferrari but thought I would post as Ferrari are willing to mend bridges with the Spaniard for 2018 according to said post. I don't know how credible this paper is.

Formula 1 News: Ferrari approach Fernando Alonso over 2018 return

FERNANDO ALONSO could be in line for a return to Ferrari, according to reports in Spain.

Alonso, 35, spent five seasons racing with Ferrari, twice finishing second to then-Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel.

In recent years he’s been less successful with McLaren, who have yet to field a competitive ride in his time with the team.

Now it seems Ferrari could be looking to bring the two-time world champion back to the Italian manufacturer.

Spanish publication Diario Gol claim Ferrari are willing to repair bridges with Alonso.

They say the team have made an approach to Alonso about driving for them next season.

Although it doesn’t mention which driver he’d be replacing, either Vettel, who currently leads the Driver’s Championship, who Kimi Raikonnen, who sits in fifth.

Alonso has mentioned his frustration with McLaren several times this season.

After the last race in Baku, Azerbaijan, the Spaniard said his team should have won the race when Vettel and Lewis Hamilton were ruled out of the running after coming together.

“It was a race that in normal circumstances we should have won,” he said.

“Because I was with [race winner Daniel] Ricciardo when the first safety car came out.

“Hamilton lost his headrest, Vettel was penalised, both the Force Indias were out, Kimi retired…

“So you are automatically in the top two or three, so we should have fought for victory, but unfortunately we are not in that position.”

Formula 1 News: Ferrari approach Fernando Alonso over 2018 return | Daily Star

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Daily Star? I seriously doubt it Fred will be back.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I know...thanks...I won't post anything from these guys(daily star) again.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never
    Going
    To
    Happen.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Hell would freeze before this...

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Fernando is running out of options it seems.

JULY 12, 2017

Mercedes do not need Alonso says Lauda

Fernando Alonso's hopes of joining a winning F1 team for 2018 appear to be waning.

Earlier, his manager Flavio Briatore suggested the Spaniard was targeting Mercedes or Ferrari, after three years of struggling with McLaren-Honda.

But Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne said in Austria last weekend that the Maranello team is "not interested" in linking back up with its former winning driver.

Niki Lauda, the Mercedes team chairman, is quoted by AS newspaper: "I do not think Ferrari wants to have him again.

"He left with a contract, which is the same as what happened with him and McLaren-Mercedes," the F1 legend told the Spanish sports newspaper.

As for the possibility of Alonso joining the Mercedes works team, Lauda said: "We have drivers who do their jobs, so if we win with Hamilton and Bottas, why do we need a replacement?"

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

15:04 - Via SKY F1 gossip

A decision on the future of the McLaren-Honda partnership will be made in October after the success of the Japanese firm's latest engine upgrade is evaluated, according to reports in Germany.

McLaren had previously claimed they were looking to finalise power plans for 2018 as soon as possible, but Auto Motor und Sport claim the team will wait for three more months.

"Honda will only decide in October about its future in Formula One," Michael Schmidt writes. "Then the second part of the dismantling stage is to be ignited, which celebrated its racing debut with moderate success in Austria.

"The complete package should bring Honda up to 35 or 40 HP to the competition. If that were the case, Honda remains in Formula 1. If the upgrade is a flop, then not.

"This also makes clear why Fernando Alonso in Austria suddenly called October as an appointment for his decision. Before that it was always September. Now one understands why McLaren suddenly stopped his public criticism of the motor partner.

"There is light at the end of the tunnel. Either Honda gets the curve by itself, or you're out of the Honda trap."

16. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Take it for what it's worth, but there is a guy who has a strong following on facebook for Indycar news, he threw out yesterday that Fernando is coming back to Indycar later this year to do a road course race. It's the race at Sonoma, meaning Fernando will skip Singapore. I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall, but he's known to break a story once in a while. Claims this news came from a source at Andretti Autosport. Nobody has discussed this in the media, so if this turns out to be true, you're hearing it way ahead of everyone else.

17. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    His F1 options ran out a long time ago. Probably hasn't had any real options in about a year.

18. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Just to add to the rumor I posted above, it was combined with a rumor that Marco Andretti is going to sportscars next year so that seat will be open for Alonso.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it's too early to claim he won't race at singapore...who knows the upgrades they'll bring?

Though I guess they'll likely be extremely fuel limited on this track...

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Zak Brown & Alonso had a great dinner Friday night (where can they have found that near Silverstone ?) and was quoted as

“I think the chances of him being in IndyCar next year are highly unlikely. I think the chances of him being in IndyCar at some point are maybe as much as likely.”

Likely = Sonoma ?

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The 400 year old Saracens Head in Towcester, is not too bad,can get a decent pint there too.

For breakfast though it has to be the Super Sausage bikers cafe! A few miles south on the A5.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mark my words

One year from now Alonso will be sitting in a McLaren with an Honda engine in the back.

The writing is already on the walls.

23. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I think you're right about the first one, doubt the second part.

24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Amazing that whilst being the self proclaimed best driver on the grid,no one seems to be beating a path to his door to sign him up for 2018.

Another year of moaning and groaning at McLaren looks like the only 'option' available right now...

Hope he goes to Indy then he will quietly be forgotten and descend into obscurity where he can contemplate the mistakes he made along the way (crashgate etc etc) .

Karma.