Any Horologists out there? | FerrariChat

Any Horologists out there?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Saabguy, Jul 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi all,

I am trying to find someone familiar with watch repair, procedures, and values.

Thanks,

Lester

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'm a member of the US National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) and the British Horological Institute (BHI). I restore antique clocks/pocket watches and have maintained/restored them for individuals and several small museums. If your question is related to repair procedures, I might be able to help. If it's about value, probably not.

4. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Hey, "watch" your language! Hehehehe!

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks guys.. I'll check in to the sub-forum but in the mean time, Mike, I took a 70's watch to my local shop, they kept it for over 3 months. I went to pick it up and noticed that the buttons on the side were not right. I was told that they had to send the buttons off to get the right gaskets for them. And they are still waiting on those. This is a Bucherer 9803, just a little something in my father's estate.

What say you? Is that a normal procedure? Or did they take my parts and fix someone else's watch?

Thanks!

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, I did serve in Panama.

Didn't know they had a name for what we did in our spare time.

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hello all,

I have run into a problem with a vintage watch and I seek some wisdom.

I have a 70's Butcherer 9803. I inherited it from my father and I thought that I would get it cleaned and a new crystal installed. Local place kept it for over 3 months saying that they were waiting on gaskets for the buttons.

I finally asked for the watch to be re-assembled and that I would hold onto it until they received the gaskets. When I got home I noticed that the top button was "crunchy" and the bottom button was pushed all the way in and wasn't functional.

I went back and was told that "We had to send the buttons off to make sure that we got the right gaskets".

My question is am I dealing with incompetence or have they found a market for my two buttons?

How long does it take a shop to get gaskets and is it typical to send off the buttons?

Thanks all,

Lester
    Home is the 328 forum

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What shop? You can look them up on AWCI.com and check their qualifications (not all qualified watchmakers are AWCI certified, but it's a good start.)
    You're saying they replaced the pushers? I don't specifically know that case, but almost certainly it's simple O rings on the pushers which most watchmakers have an assortment of. I can't think of a legitimate reason to send them out...

9. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #9 Saabguy, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Let me post a pic. The upper button (Pusher) is now "crunchy" when pushed and the bottom pusher is now empty. The cover is there but if tapped it will fall off (Like a little stainless mug) and there is nothing behind it, no rod to actuate anything, just a hole.

I'll take some pics tomorrow or so.

After I visit them perhaps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Well they definitely screwed something up if the buttons looked normal when you gave it to them.

I do this for a living so you can PM me if you need further help. 3 months is way too long unless they were waiting/making a part. Even then, that's quite a stretch.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 cls, Jul 31, 2017
    Don't push them. Take the watch to someone qualified and have them figure out what happened. FYI, here's what's going on behind the caseback.

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #12 Saabguy, Jul 31, 2017
    I've had an Fchatter offer to take a look at it so it will likely be headed out soon. To top things off it used to run but now nothing. This is the movement when I picked it up

Arrgghh....

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't have any experience with those pushers, but it looks like a Landeron type system where there is a notch in the pusher that isn't aligned properly or their respective screws are loose.
    With any luck, it's an easy fix and no real damage was done.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    On the button to the left in the picture there is nothing under it. The cap (what looks like a button) is empty. The "guts" are gone. There is a hole and a cap for the hole but nothing inside to actuate anything. There was something there before. I went to the shop and asked if they would get the parts back. They said that they would tell them to ship them back.

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why did they give it back to you?
    Good luck with the fix. Vintage parts can be challenging to source, but a watchmaker handy with a lathe should be able to fabricate anything you need.

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I had to ask for it back, they had the watch for 3 months to clean and replace crystal. They said that they had to send the parts off to the supplier/distributer to get the right gaskets.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm hoping that these guys didn't use my watch to fix one that they already had. But I will wait for a week or two for the parts to come back and see.

17. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    That's a Lemania movement (ref 1340). I am not sure how long it was used, so the gaskets might be hard to come by. If the parts are interchangeable with its famous cousin (Lemania 5100), pats should be VERY easy to come by.

90 days isn't terrible for a vintage watch that needs parts, but it still seems you may have picked the wrong people to look after it.