Anybody been to Wimbledon? | FerrariChat

Anybody been to Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Drive550PFB, Apr 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Wife wants to go this year, so I have to start planning.

I assume you stay in London and take the train down to Wimbledon? I also hear the tickets are expensive, but, I guess that is just the price for admission. Anybody us a one-stop shop for planning the trip?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You can stay anywhere in London and take the Underground. Or a taxi.

Your choice of hotel can be determined more by what else you plan on seeing while in London.

The easiest Underground station is Southfields on the District Line. It's perhaps a ten minute walk from station to main entrance.

I believe there are different ticket levels: general admission, centre court, and grandstand.

I enjoy going earlier in the tournament. You can see great tennis up close on one of the many smaller courts.

I have no info on a one-stop shop.

It's a very nice and clean venue.

Have a Pimm's and lemonade along with strawberries and cream. You'll love it.

Matt

3. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Thanks. I wanted to get the Lainesborough Hotel, but it is completely booked for the week leading in.

I had planned to arrive on the 7th and leave my wife in London while I go to Pamplona for that little jog that they do every year there (I did it in 2015 also). And then I was going to come back to London and go to the tourney from there.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I did back in '87. Went out to Wimbledom on a whim and waited in the "queue" for recycled tickets. I was able to watch a few center court matches (Lendl and Navratolova). It was worth it and had some strawberries and cream.

5. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    My wife and I went two years ago as part of a work event. It was fantastic. We had center court seats which gave you access to all of the other small courts. Incredible to be sitting 1-3 rows from some of the top pros while they are competing. We took a motor coach in but stayed late and took the Tube back to our hotel, which was a breeze. I highly recommend it and we are trying to go back again this year.

6. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Glad to hear it. My wife and I have been to 4 tourneys in the US, including the US Open. But Wimbledon is a bucket list kind of thing.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would love to go to Wimbledon some day. This year my wife and I are going to the Rome tournament in a couple weeks. Really hoping to see Nadal on clay.