Arancia leather | FerrariChat

Arancia leather

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jack-the-lad, Mar 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #1 Jack-the-lad, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can someone identify the color of the leather pictured here? I believe it is arancia. Is there currently a source for this leather?

Thanks.

Jack.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Arancia is/was made by Connolly as part of their Vaulmol line. The code is VM 3104. It is currently available from Connolly or any of their distributors as VM 3104, but for some reason they've changed the name to Ochre. Same colour, same code though.

This photo looks a little dark/tobacco-ish and less orange than Arancia usually does but that's probably just the light. Hope that helps.

Best
    Dave

ScottS likes this.
  3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Dave. I did see your similar thread. I looked at VM3104 earlier today but on the computer screen it looks more like tan. I checked a few weeks ago with Fantasy Junction (where the pictured car was consigned) and they were certain that the leather in the car is arancia.

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Jack,
    Yeah I checked both with Connolly and Marcel Massini. VM 3104 is definitely Arancia, despite the new name. I got samples from Connolly of the current VM 3104, and it's very orange!
    They'll send you a sample card if you write them via the website.

All best
    Dave

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Will do.

Thanks again, Dave.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...Orange it should be, because Arancia means "Orange".
    Not even taking time into account (fading of colors, etc...) take care of the difference in colors between the old Conolly and the new one, and the leather quality also. Conolly was out of business during a period of time, and some people say that there is a tangible difference between old and new Conolly. Check carefully before ordering, especially if you have to match it with the original leather.

Rgds

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave

Yes, I've heard about some issues as well but only in the context of "people say". The actual people I've spoken to who've redone their cars seem happy enough with new Connolly hides. I'm not 100% sure on the match quality of all their current colours either though. The beige/tans look greyer to me in colour samples than the originals. Arancia looks right to me though. VM 3171 (Red) looks right to me.

All that said, I also found this company, who advertise themselves as being aware of and making up for the differences in quality and colour between old/new Connolly as well as "other companies". No affiliation or endorsement. Just another place to check out and research...
    HVL Class Leather® - About HVL

One could also reach out to people like Perfect Reflections in CA, or O'Rourke Couch Trimmers in the UK. Here on the East Coast, I know Bradan does a lot of interior work. I'm sure they'd give you the run down on who makes the best quality and colour matches.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #9 Jack-the-lad, Mar 3, 2017
    HVL...the color on the left looks similar to arancia, but perhaps too brown. Strangely, I couldn't find an email address on their web site. My trimmer tells me their prices are quite high.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    IMO, doesn't look like Arancia. Too brown as you say. Arancia can age brown though.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #11 davemqv, Mar 3, 2017
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #12 davemqv, Mar 3, 2017
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 davemqv, Mar 3, 2017
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's what I'm talkin' about!:)

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is. One day I'm going to do a car in this spec...dark blue with Arancia leather. It looks SOOOOOOOOO good!

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know! It looks awesome! I like it in Daytona trim as well.

Are you going to redo your Dino interior in Arancia? That will look amazing.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #18 Jack-the-lad, Mar 4, 2017
    Exactly the colors in my first post: verde pino/arancia.

As it turns out I'll be going right past O'Rourke's on my way to Goodwood in 10 days, so I plan to stop in and try to get a sample to bring home.

Thanks for the tip!:)

Edit: Here's a bit of a better look at the paint/leather color contrast:

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That will look amazing! I've never seen a Dino in that spec before. Post lots of pics!!!

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just for clarification, my "Dino" is a 308. Its original color was ( and soon will be again) verde pino* but the interior color was a much lighter shade of tan, so the interior won't be the original color, nor was it originally full leather, which it will be when I'm finished. But I'm doing this car to please myself, not to win platinums, but aside from the interior everything will be as original.

*The picture above is a little washed out. Verde pino is darker than it appears in that picture.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm back from England and did in fact visit O'Rourke's Coachtrimmers. It's a very professional operation. "Rourky" and AJ gave me a very comprehensive tour of their workshops and I left with some highly useful leather and carpet samples.

Good blokes!

22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Jack,
    I just saw this update. What was O'Rourke's opinion on the "new" Connelly leather?

They seem to use it a lot, so I'm guessing they approve. But did they have any other suppliers or suggestions?

BTW, looking forward to seeing your car when it's done. Great combo and I've never seen it on a 308 Dino. Does yours have Boxer trim or will it be all Verde Pino?

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Dave,

As far as I know they only use Connolly. They seem happy with it. It's possible they will use another supplier if the client requests it, I imagine, since they are very much a bespoke operation. By the way, Connolly has changed the name from arancia" to "ochre."

The car will be solid verde pino. They body should get final prep next week and then color. But I've been hearing that for about a month!

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Jack,
    I noticed that name change as well...maybe they think Arancia is too hard a sell? Same colour and same code though.

"Ready next week"... the mantra of classic car mechanics worldwide! :)

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats a beautiful leather color. nice combo. but that leather would look good with any exterior color