Aussie Aircraft Thread | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Aussie Aircraft Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steve355F1, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Steve's spot on regarding the average ROD being around 2000FPM, that's if ATC let the crew do what they want ;) If aircraft are being sequenced for their arrival, there are many variations that can affect ROD: high speed descents, reduced speed in cruise with normal descent, reduced speed in cruise and descent, level requirements for sequencing etc... each scenario is different depending on the disposition of traffic. But one thing's for sure, barring avoiding action, the crew will have passenger comfort at the front of their minds :)

As for the AtlasAir 747: cargo, no paying passengers to worry about, fly it like they stole it!! Those figures may have been accurate, albeit briefly...

Like Steve said, there are no silly questions :)
    a) Correct. Perth arrivals is controlled from here in Melbourne and Melbourne Centre would issue initial descent clearance. Aircraft then gets transferred to Perth Approach (in Perth). Not too sure how far out Perth Approach own.
    b) VHF frequencies have a range of approx 200-250nm depending on altitude (way less if you're down low), terrain, atmospherics, etc. Radio calls to/from an aircraft near Perth from Melbourne Centre use local ground based VHF transmitters and receivers which are then relayed via satellite to Melbourne. If you're in range of the transmitter, then there's no reason why you wouldn't be able here calls made from Melbourne Centre.

I've never used liveatc.net so can't really comment on what is available to listen to... FWIW, I typed in YMML into the search window on the site for Melbourne and not all of the arrival frequencies were displayed :(

Hope this helps

2. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Thanks guys (and A320 pal)! I find this kind of stuff really interesting, but there are a lot of holes in my understanding, so hearing from people who know is very helpful indeed :)

With regard to liveatc.net, it works similarly to FR24 from a technical perspective - people with a suitable radio receiver just send the broadcasts they hear (voice in the case of liveatc or ADS-B (+similar) data packets for FR24) up to a server, that packages it all up and outputs the data in a suitable format - live stream and audio archives for liveatc and the map and so on for FR24.

I believe liveatc is 100% run on feeds provided by people using their own equipment (FR24 sends the receivers out free to appropriate volunteers), so I assume the frequencies are therefore down to the individuals and their choice of how many/which ones are covered. There are a few that list Melbourne Centre as part of their range, but all those seem to be based in Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide, so based on what you're saying they'd never hear (for example) a descent instruction issued by Melbourne Centre to an aircraft near Perth, which explains why I couldn't find it!

Thanks again! :)

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have Flightaware on my iPad and use it routinely to check where our aircraft are, or aircraft being flown by friends, or aircraft which have friends / family on board etc.

BUT, I learnt something a few nights ago.

I put in a flight plan from AD - CDU - AD.
    AD - CDU took place as per the plan.
    On the way back to YPAD, we were diverted to another job (at YCEE).
    This happens ALL the time for us, as Dan could attest.

While I was sitting on the ground at YCEE waiting for the patient to arrive, I logged on to Flightaware to see what everyone else was doing, and they had my aircraft tracking across the Yorke Penisnula on descent into Adelaide!
    With speeds, altitudes and everything!!

So maybe these things aren't as accurate as we thought.....

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I used to use a variation of one of these programs to predict the arrival of aircraft in Sydney. They were often more accurate than the airport arrival boards which take some time to update. That way we could spend more time in the ready room, rather than on a cold and rainy ramp in Sydney. However, on rare occasions, the program showed the aircraft was still in the air several kilometers away, but the aircraft had landed several minutes earlier.

The Atlas flights between domestic cities often fly with little cargo, so they are quite capable of reaching 6000fpm in climb at lower altitudes (assuming no major engine derates), but it would be very unusual to see them reaching 6000' at that altitude in descent. At 40,000', the air is relatively thin and intitial descent can be quicker than at lower alititudes, but not that fast. I suspect a computational error of your tracking program.

If ADS-B uses the same data as the instruments, then vertical speed will be a blend of instantaneous (inertial) vertical speed and barometric vertical speed.

Cheers
    Ian
    (Ex-avionics engineer)

5. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    There's a bit of info about where FlightAware data comes from here (and the following sections too - some of it doesn't make total sense to me but might to you):
    Frequently Asked Questions ? FlightAware
    It implies that flight plans are used as a significant data source.

FlightRadar24, as far as I know, uses volunteer-hosted ADS-B receivers as its primary source outside North America, so anything that's showing up there with speed, altitude etc on a solid track should be actually there in real life (or at least, that's where the aircraft thinks it is...). Dotted lines on FR24 are estimates though, you often see them joining loss-of-contact and established-contact points in weird ways because the position between them is unknown.

6. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OH NO!

Damn you, auto-correct!

I guess if you type something often enough....

7. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Interesting, thanks! I don't know what was on that particular Atlas flight on the way in, but when it left for China it apparently had a cargo of sheep. Not too sure why sheep need to be somewhere in quite such a hurry...

Saw a several hour long BA-produced video a while back doing a ride-along on a Concorde flight to JFK. Quite surprised to hear they could use reverse thrust in flight if ATC requested a particularly rapid descent! Don't know what the actual fpm figure was, but it certainly sounded exciting ;)

8. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Crikey! (Must be 10,000fpm+).

That's amazing, and more proof that Concorde is the most superb aircraft ever built, and aircraft these days are unbelievably boring.

What went wrong? (Lefty / Greenies, I'm looking at you).

9. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Agreed! I'm very sad indeed that I never got to see her fly, let alone being on board one at the time. I've seen four in various places, and walked through three of them, but somehow it's not quite the same...

It's not the fault of the Greenies, it's the French!

10. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually, it was the bloody Americans... :(

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My parents went on it a few times. It's about the only thing they've done that, moving forward, doesn't get better....if you know what I mean.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think it started out with the greenies (noise, fuel crises, ozone layer, etc, and people who didn't want their greenhouse windows smashed by the shockwaves). Even when it made rare trips to Australia, I recall it wasn't allowed to go supersonic over the mainland. It was certainly one of the noisiest aircraft ever. The ground shook when it took off. It was spine-tingling. Here in Sydney, they would never let it fly out north over the city, even if there was a tailwind flying south.

Ultimately, it just reached the end of it's airframe life. You can't keep an aircraft flying indefinitely, at least not without basically rebuilding it.

From what I've heard, it wasn't the most comfortable plane to fly in... hard seats, cramped, tiny windows, hot... but there will never be one as beautiful.

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I had the privledge of meeting and having a beer with the BA Engineering manager for the Concord, who now lives in Adelaide!

Trivia question, what was the date of the post crash Certificate of Airworthiness revalidation flight?

14. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    The worst day to fly to New York that there has probably ever been :(

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    My understanding was that BA and AF dropped it because it was uneconomic - not enough saleable seats vs. cost of fuel. Not much to do with greenies or NIMBY's

But, look on the bright side - it gave the world Araldite!

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Exactly, They landed thinking there would be a big fan fair only to find not a jurnalist in sight.

17. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    I went to a talk at the Science Museum in London in 2009, given by David Rowland who was an ex-Concorde captain and GM of the Concorde fleet for BA (plus another guy who was an engineer working on modifications post-crash). He said (very stridently!) that it was still making money at the time of withdrawal, but that Airbus were no longer willing to support it and thus there was no choice but to retire them :(

One could take that to mean that Airbus wouldn't support it at a financially viable cost, I suppose, and therefore they wouldn't be making money soon, but he was very clear that until retirement, they were able to simply price seats appropriately as the market was not very cost-sensitive. In fact, he mentioned doing a survey of their most frequent passengers (who mostly had tickets booked by staff) to ask them what they thought their tickets had cost... then, when finding that number to be somewhat above the actual amount paid, simply adjusting the price to match expectations :)

18. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    They probably figured it would be alright for thrust enough to not worry too much about a bit of a tailwind ;)

I think it turned out that with noise abatement procedures they could be quieter than a 707 (which was then regularly visiting JFK, where all the uproar about noise was centred). "Quieter than a 707" is not exactly the loftiest of goals one might aspire to, mind you...

19. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Or if they suffered a decompression... It's a long way down from FL580-FL600!

20. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My understanding of the Concorde situation is that in the early 70s the Americans decided not to buy them mainly because they wanted to protect their own aircraft industry.
    Boeing, Douglas etc. put on a lot of political pressure to not allow it in U.S. airspace even though initially several U.S. airlines had expressed interest.

That's why in the end only BA and AF actually bought and used them.

Of course add in the trumped up greenie idiocy (ironically fuelled by large corporations) and the result was inevitable.

If it HAD been bought by lots of airlines as was envisaged in the beginning, we'd probably be up to Concorde MK. V by now and one can only wonder at how good that might have been...

And despair at the boring, slow, rubbish airliners we are served up today as a result.

:(

21. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    From what I remember (it was a long time ago and I was only a freshman :)) they did fly over mainland Australia supersonic. Coming from the west, they had a requirement to be at subsonic speed and reach FL290 by longitude 140E, I think. Same thing going out, FL280 until 140E then away they went. Their supersonic route didn't take the aircraft over any populated areas.

Flight only happened twice a year towards the end and there was plenty of advance notice on their arrival and departures. Special procedures were put in place and concessions made for their transit.

You are right, it was a beautiful machine... the likes of which we may never see again,at least not in my lifetime!

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I can distinctly remember getting my secretary while working in London in '89-90 to get the SNA software engineers in Lowell, Mass on the Concorde ASAP when we had serious issues with IT interoperability between IBM and other machines so they must have been allowed to fly in during that period

23. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Of course the people were allowed to fly on Concorde, but no US airline actually bought the aircraft despite being very interested in the beginning.
    You can be sure that if it was a Boeing (or whatever) design the result would have been different.

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    There is an air museum just south of San Francisco on the 101 which has the fuselage of the Boeing SST.

As I dimly recall, the info boards say something to the effect that airlines didn't order it because they'd moved on to a "bums on seats" business model - hence the success of the 747.

25. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    And the Boeing SST development programme was gigantically expensive, even more so than Concorde - it was designed to be larger (300ish seats vs 100ish?) and faster (Mach 3). IIRC it was shut down when Congress decided against providing any more cash. Joe Sutter (chief designer of the 747) goes into some detail in his autobiography, which is an interesting read anyway.