Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ... | FerrariChat

Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RobertM, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    FYI,
    from the Miami Herald this morning (08.10.13) ...... see below (I copied and pasted). I had a buddy call me this morning and ask if I knew what happened. I had no clue on what he was talking about and just googled it. see below.....

Authorities are looking for hit and run driver of Ferrari who killed one, injured two others
    By Enrique Flor
    [email protected]

The driver of a car died Saturday and his passenger was hospitalized after a rollover accident caused by a modern Ferrari sports car, whose driver fled and left the expensive car at the scene of the accident, on I-75, near Hialeah.

The driver Jorge Arrojas, 60, died at the scene. Passenger Miguel Larrieu, 62, was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Their blue Hyundai Sonata was struck from behind by a 2009 Ferrari, 430 Scuderia model, at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, authorities said.

"We are looking for a person of interest tied to the Ferrari who was at the scene," said Joe Sanchez, spokesman for the Florida Highway Patrol. "The driver of that modern car fled the scene, leaving behind a dead person.”

After crashing into the Hyundai, the Ferrari also hit a Saturn, but the driver of that car, Fulvio Davila, 42, suffered no major injuries, Sanchez said.

The FHP has launched an investigation to identify the driver of the Ferrari, which was towed along with the Hyundai FHP headquarters in Doral. According to Sanchez, several witnesses stated that the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, which has an estimated price tag of $250,000 to $ 300,000, was speeding.

Arrojas, a retiree who had worked at a U.S. Post Office in Miami-Dade, had a four-decade long relationship with Larrieu. The two were returning home from a dinner in Miami Beach when their car was slammed, the Larrieu family said.

"Miguel is stable but very sad," his brother Frankie Larrieu told el Nuevo Herald. "The death of his life partner has been devastating, something horrible that has hit him hard."

Frankie Larrieu said his brother Miguel told him that he and Arrojas were returning to their home in Southwest Ranches in Broward, via the Gratigny Expressway, going west. Suddenly, near the entrance connecting to I-75, heading north, the Ferrari slammed into them at a high speed.

"Miguel told me it was a very violent impact, as if a bomb had exploded," Frankie Larrieu said. "The Ferrari was travelling at 80 to 90 miles per hour and knocked them off the highway."

Police said the car flipped over several times until it landed on a landscaped portion of a median off the highway. Arrojas died at the scene. His body was on Larrieu, who had to wait for rescuers to pull him out of the Hyundai and be transported to the hospital.

"A few hours later, he was discharged. But my brother had to return to Jackson because he had to undergo additional exams in the same hospital," Frankie Larrieu said.

Sanchez called on the community to help identify the driver of the Ferrari. Anyone with information is asked to call 305-470-2500 or Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #2 Jack-the-lad, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Apparently the owner has been identified by FHP. Not sure yet if owner was at the wheel.

Fatal hit-and-runs seem to be weekly occurrances in south Florida these days.

3. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    Miami is the worst place, really rated worst by AAA, if its not a Ferrari killing you its some ass with a gun and road rage - hate driving there. Sad for the innocents.

4. 355redcar

355redcar Karting
    BANNED

Feb 21, 2013
    red ferrari hit another car in the rear in miami

the ferrari driver took off BIG news on channel 10 read all about it

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    What is the latest? Unless the car was stolen, should be easy to track down the owner.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Owner? Easy. Driver? Perhaps not so much.

At any rate, absolutely shameful, despicable criminal behavior by whomever was driving.

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Correct. There has been no publicized report that the car was stolen, so probably the owner (or someone known to the owner...e.g. friend, son, daughter) was driving. I would wager an arrest is imminent. It has the feel of somebody's lawyer negotiating for a surrender.

This (fatal hit-and-run) happens all too frequently in south Florida, and it's a disgrace.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Brain fade, they do not realize that sooner (probably) or later, the police will find you? Incredible how so many idiots have the money for a Ferrari.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Years ago some clown staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Brickell Key rented a Ferrari and the genius was doing laps around Brickell Key which is all of 1/2 around early in the morning.

Cops eventually took him & the Ferrari away.

I wonder if drugs were involved or he was just a 1st class moron

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Car reportedly belongs to someone named Delgado.

12. djben

djben Rookie

Oct 16, 2006
    Unless there are two people with the same exact name who own F430 Scuderia's in South Florida, this is Rennlist member NJ-GT, also known as GT3Rad, here known as F430GT.

13. 355redcar

355redcar Karting
    BANNED

Feb 21, 2013
    he suited up with a LAWYER & pleaded the 5th. he is also a race car driver & lived in
    pembroke pines (delgado) they will ping phone calls @ time of accident , getting finger prints
    also D&A from the exploded air bags

let the fireworks begin

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  15. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    You can guarantee that the impact of the driver into the airbag will give the proper DNA/forensics to figure out who the driver was.

Someone had mentioned that the driver is probably in Russia by now sharing a room with Snowden.

16. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    I'm not disagreeing with you but unless you can help the victims after being involved in an accident/crash, there are only disadvantages to sticking around and talking to anybody until properly represented.

That doesn't mean I would do the same thing, but I will certainly withhold judgement until more details are known.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The law disagrees with you. Fleeing the scene of a fatal crash (and then hiding behind your attorney) has severe consequences, if convicted. Whether or not you can "help the victims" is irrelevant.

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    The "talking to anybody" part is true but leaving sure is a bad idea!

19. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Bad idea unless the driver is DUI I assume?

BTW: I'm NOT defending anybody's actions here.

20. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    The article states that the driver was an amateur race car driver.

Having said that . . . this is truly a shame and goes to show you; that no matter how much track time you have, you can NOT control all the other factors when traveling at those speeds on a PUBLIC road.

21. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    +1. I can't tell you how many times I have been on 1-75, Sawgrass, etc, and come upon someone driving dangerously SLOW, often in the passing lane. On my way to Cavallino last year it was a landscaping truck town a trailler full of junk going 35 in the middle lane in the dark on the Sawgrass northbound. I slowed in time, but the guy behind me almost rear ended me. Then trying to pass him in the dark with heavy traffic going 70-80 in the next lane was harrowing. The concept of using the surface streets was completely lost on the truck driver. These huge differentials in speed are more common in Miami/FtL than anywhere else I have ever driven. I think many drivers in South FL grew up driving in countries with different norms than our own, to put it gently.

So, going 100+ in the dark on a road with trafffic on it is a bad idea. Fleeing the scene is even worse.

Track days are offered for a reason. To scare yourself silly without killing someone else. This guy had a lot of track time. Should have kept it there.

Scott

22. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Truly a sad situation for all parties involved. My condolences to all friends and family members of the victim.
    I hope they CRUCIFY the SOB who did this. If indeed the owner was driving, and it can be proved by airbag DNA, then him being someone with track experience should have known better.....unless alcohol was involved....which is VERY likely considering it was 12:40am in Miami

23. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In addition to any DNA on the airbag, the authorities can also subpoena his bank records, see where he was using his credit card that evening and pull the surveillance videos showing him out in his car.

Scott

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Absolutely!!!!!

I am pretty confident in my driving abilities, and have enough track time to be pretty comfortable at high speed, driving near the limits.

However: On the track, I am also reasonably sure no one is just going to pull out in front of me, or change lanes without signaling. And I am pretty sure no kids are going to run out into the road chasing a ball. And I am pretty confident no one is going to run a stop sign / red light and cross in front of me.

All of those things can and do happen on public roads. Ignoring that fact and driving as though they will not is simply irresponsible. In this case it would appear criminally, and fatally so.