Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RobertM, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    30 years, WOW! Florida treats the offense of hit/run resulting in death much more seriously than California. In Cali, if death is involved (regardless of fault, which is irrelevant to the crime of leaving the scene of an accident), four years is the maximum. Three years is the max if there is an injury, but without death.

On top of that, due to prison overpopulation, under Cali's new legislation (AB 109), a person convicted of hit/run resulting in death will serve his/her sentence in a county jail (since it is not considered a serious or violent felony, the offender will not be sent to a state prison). Half time (+) is virtually automatic.

I have read on this thread that hit and run is "epidemic" in certain areas of Florida and the same is certainly true here in California. It is almost impossible to turn on the TV and not hear of yet another hit/run tragic fatality...children, women pushing babies in strollers in cross walks...it just doesn't seem to matter how helpless or vulnerable the victims...drivers just run to save themselves. There is no doubt in Florida, if apprehended and successfully prosecuted, the defendant will have far more years to consider the cowardly act that landed him (her) in prison.

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Goodman did not get into a cab, he walked and went into someone's house to hide out while the kid died. He was living at home under police supervision (getting credit for that as time being served), and now has won the right to a new trial based on some stupid things from one of the elderly jurors past. Justice definitely did not get served there.

:(
    BT

3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    He also "adopted" his girlfriend so that he could transfer assets to her name and protect them from any civil judgment. I really hope he gets skewered in prison. Grade A scumbag, using money to laugh at the law.

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    The adoption ploy was denied. After the accident, he allegedly went to a nearby barn (equestrian area), found some booze, and started drinking to ease pain from some injuries. That way, it would have been, in theory, tougher to prove just when he was drunk, before or after the accident. He deserves the worse.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Since you hijacked this thread, Zimmerman and Anthony should have been at minimum charged with manslaughter, Bush did not win the election especially since Gore had the popular vote. Get real.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I didn't "hijack this thread"...the poster I responded to did. Every recount done independently by such as the "respected" NYT and Wa Po showed that Bush won the popular vote in Florida. Maybe if Algore could have cobbled enough votes to win his home state he would have won the election. ("President Gore". ugh) As far as the Zimmerman case is concerned, you must have information that the Sanford PD and Seminole County State's Attorney (and ultimately, the jury) didn't. Real.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what would u use the popular vote for ?

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Does anyone know any new information about the accident?

9. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've googled it every which way and can't find anything of substance that's new. He's not talking and law enforcement is probably waiting for all the subpoenaed materials (phone logs, cell tower hits, credit card receipts etc.) and forensics to come back. I think almost everywhere, since it has "high profile" attached to it, law enforcement works a little more slowly, carefully, thoroughly...cautiously...before they show their hand. If they don't, that can be an embarrassing mistake. I'm sure the defense is hard at work as we speak to counter any punch thrown by law enforcement.

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I figured as much. They probably have their suspect and are taking their time to build an airtight case. My wife is a lawyer and she said the same thing.

11. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A couple of days later and still I'm still finding nothing about this tragedy on the web/net. Anything of a local nature that may not have made it on the web yet (if there is such a thing anymore)?

12. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I'm curious too. But I do agree, they are building a case and this isn't going to end well for the driver of the car.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Not so fast as Lee Forsook would say. John Goodman is still enjoying his lifestyle after a Dui fatality hit a d run. With enough money you can have a better than 50% chance of not going to jail. I would say this case would likely fall into that category.

:)
    BT

14. Knightrider

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    There's a big difference- In Florida, it's a first degree felony to leave the scene of an accident w/a death. It will be easy to extract DNA from the airbag of the car IMO, look at how hard the impact was as shown by the body damage. There's no disputing DNA evidence, it just takes time for the lab to get the results. There may also be other evidence, ie text messages, phone calls, cell tower tracking at the time of those calls/texts, possible toll booth photos, etc.

It won't matter if the driver of the Ferrari was DUI or even if he was at fault... as the Florida statute does not require either of those requirements to charge the driver with the 1st deg. felony, only the act of leaving the scene.

I would say the Driver being charged is more like a 90% probability. The only remote chance is if the Driver is truly unknown (IE not one of the owners and not a current suspect) and they can't find a DNA match in the statewide or national database. Then it just may be a matter of time.

15. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Gheez..... I had no idea there were so many lawyers and/or legal experts here...... lol....

:D

16. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are surprised to encounter a lawyer or two here on Ferrari chat? :)

17. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Lmao.....gosh, no......not after witnessing some doozie threads unfold over the years.....

18. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #93 m2g2, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    :) :D The evidence you have presented is clear and convincing and you have argued your position well...objection sustained.

19. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I all fairness, the observations and comments on this particular thread are, for the most part, legally accurate (understanding each state may have different statutory elements and punishments). Other comments express the various posters' strongly felt social/moral positions; thank goodness we are still able to do that (for the time being).

It certainly remains a sad and tragic situation for everyone.

20. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    #95 ATBNM3, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    I just moved to South 5 months ago and I can say these are literally some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. They will change lanes on you without using signal or mirror at 45 mph into the fast lane in a heartbeat! I have seen diving 3 lane changes at ludicrously low speed not only to the exit but in the center lanes of traffic You have to be ultra careful when driving on the freeways and tollways and because of this I always give plenty of room when making a pass. Also they have never mentioned the sobriety of the Hyundai driver as they were driving home from a dinner party and its possibly he had drinks as well. But as drivers of high speed exotics its our responsibility to be sure that its safe to pass...

Finally if he changed his profile here following the accident he could be charged with tampering... not smart.

21. Knightrider

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Anyone hear of any updates on this case?

22. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not a single update or even a rehash on the web. Looks like it has moved to "yesterday's news" status...Syria has everyone's attention now.

23. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Amazing to me as well. Compared to some of the media coverage that the president of the us got involved with. this is without a question more of an issue than the other event was

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Prayers for the family and friends of the gentleman killed. :(

25. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Syria? What's that?....................Miley Cyrus THAT'S what America is worried about!