Aventador or 4 older exotics? | FerrariChat

Aventador or 4 older exotics?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by GiveMeSomethingICanUse, Nov 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    So instead of selling the 458 and getting an aventador I think I've decided I want both, even if it's a nice chunk of money. They are starting to come down significantly (there's a 2013 roadster no stories for sale in my area with less than 5K miles for $330K). Then I started thinking about the amount because you do get numbers blind after a while.
    For $320K you could get an aventador or you could get :

1x F430 coupe
    1x Gallardo Spyder
    1x Murcielago roadster (06 not lp640)

Or

1x 360 coupe (01)
    1x gallardo coupe (04)
    1x murcielago (03)
    1x hellcat/viper/z06 (older ones)

I don't know what would be more fun. Having one badass car (Avvy) plus the 458, or having 3 or 4 not as cool but still exotic ones in the garage. I have a 5 car garage so I've got room. Just gotta park the dailies outside.

If anything it puts things into perspective with regards to price. Weighing all options and looking at it from all angles.
    What do you guys think?

2. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    What cars have you been into? (from the list)
    Both F430 and 360 are pretty slow. 360 is worth for aesthetics tho, if it looks right.
    But you could get a Countach and G spyder/coupe for that sum too, haha.
    Aventador is roomy and driver-friendly, unlike previous big Lambos, so you should decide yourself which quality you need most of all.

3. I like the multi car theme vs just one car, but there is the upkeep, taxes & insurance. I really like the Hellcat/GT350. What about a Huracan?

4. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Yes, there will be upkeep which will be significant but overall I would drive each car less too. There are no yearly taxes in California except registration. Not sure the insurance would be that high given that I wouldn't actually drive them that much.

I have owned a Gallardo and a 360 spider. Have driven the f430 several times. It's like a faster 360. Same sense of twitchy ness. The 360 was really fun precisely because it isn't very fast and you can really throw it around like a go kart. The gallardo was also really nice, never gave me any problems. The 458 is of course on a different level and the aventador is on another planet but having more options could be more fun.

The huracan is a wonderfully engineered machine no question, but at the end of the day it doesn't excite me that much. I'm not crazy about its looks.

The mclarens are just crazy fast. Inside they don't really look very inspired, and they don't sound that great with the turbocharged engines.

Ahh the dilemmas. But this is half the fun of buying cars :)

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Agreed.

I would take the older multi-car package with manual transmissions. I never drove a Gallardo. Why would you want a Gallardo and Murcielago. Given the multiple cars add something different and drop the Gallardo - Porsche GT3.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Id get a murci, a 599 and a Viper ACR or 911 gt3.

360/430/gallardo are nice but not when you have a 458/murcielago

7. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    now is the time to buy a manual Murci, v12 and classic siscor doors are at the bottom of depreciation and now climbing

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Why would you want a bunch of lesser cars to serve the same function? None of these being collectible either.

Why don't you get 1 modern and 1 colectable classic?

9. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPS02EFgdfE[/ame]

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #10 leead1, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    I have owned all of the cars you mention , plus several others. I loved my 360 and 430 Ferrari's. I am not sure they are slow even today but they have a handling tightness and a race car feel that is missing in the 458.

I would suggest humbly you test drive the Hell Kat. They are wicked powerful. he long wheelbase tells you up front that it is not a sports car, but it handles like a modern car.

In my car collection I try to cover another diving niche than the cars I have in the collection.

The newer Lambos made or designed a year after Audi bought them are the most reliable and trouble free. The 458 is also reliable. Those older cars of both marques can be troublesome. The good side if you look around you may be able to get a manual transmission.

Look at and test drive a Hell Kat and keep you other cars.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Lee

11. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the thread. I think the reason why it's an option to get a bunch of older cars vs one new one is because of variety, finished depreciation and enthusiasm for the different Marques and their driving characteristics.

The 911 does not, never has and never will interest me, nor sit inside my garage. I find them completely uninspiring. Love the 918 and CGT but that's something entirely different :)

Lee, thank you once again for your input. I have owned the 360 myself and loved it, except for the many issues it had. I remember one particularly embarrassing experience when I had just had it for a few days and went to get gas. I didn't know that the car won't start if the doors are locked and for some reason the car would auto lock after a few minutes. I was on the phone with the dealer when a guy in a 911 next to me approached me and said "I had one of these, and I know exactly what the problem is...". Funny but embarrassing moment. Loved driving the car around twisty mountain roads. It quickly became my everyday go to car, more so than my x5 and sl55 at the time. I miss it. I would hardly drive the gallardo, but then again the 360 was a spider and the gallardo was a coupe. I kind of prefer convertibles.

I'll take your advice and drive the hellcat.
    As an owner of many cars, if you could keep only one exotic, which one would it be?

12. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Let me add to what Lee said. The Hellcat is a great car,. I have had two of them and currently drive the Charger Hellcat. Lots of fun!

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Imho ,get what you really want,which sonds like the Aventador, every time you drive one of the lesser alternatives,you will crave the car you really wanted,you can only drive one at the time,a deal is only a deal,if you really want it(unless you are flipping) hovever ,If you choose the multi car alt,my list would be,the nicest Murci convert,get a proper top fitted,man trans. Love the Hellcat for kick ass burnouts and all round dependability,then if there is enough cash left,I would get a Brookville 32 high boy with a Rouch 427 small block ford and inglese fuel set up,with termed 6 speed,

14. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'd go Aventador.

Just my taste, but if you want a 'look at me' car, which is what the Aventador is... I'd go as big as possible... No point in having other older cars sitting in the garage when you can only drive one at a time.

Also, the second you would pull up in an F430 next to a guy in an Aventador, you'd immediately regret your decision.

Of course, the problem with the Aventador is that it will depreciate faster, and you'll feel 'out of date' faster as soon as they release the replacement model... but then, that would have you thinking about logical things like investment value, and that's just ridiculous in an exotic car conversation.

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    If you're considering a Murci to compete with the Aventador, spend more and get a LP640. The power bump and revised egear make a difference.

For $330k I'd do LP640 coupe and 2016 Viper TA or ACR.

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    With that said, drive them and see what you like. I love the Murci, but it feels VERY dated compared to the Aventador.

17. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm in a similar position to you, and have chosen to have multiple less expensive cars. I like that almost all of my cars are either at the bottom of the depreciation curve, or are (potentially) slightly appreciating. It at least allows me to own the cars and not feel guilty if I don't get to drive them as much as I'd like.

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id take a 458 and a Viper

19. And yet I would still prefer the Murci.

20. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    I already have a 458 which I really love, but I wouldn't mind a viper. I love Lamborghinis though. They are very "me". Loud, different, daring and doing their own thing. The murcielagos do indeed feel dated, especially the pre lp640s. I still love them. I think the reality is if I had a viper, hellcat, z06, etc, and a murcielago I'd drive the lambo most of the time, and when I don't drive the lambo I'd drive the 458 or my sl63. Based on all your input and doing some soul searching of my own I'm leaning towards waiting for the avvy roadsters to dip below 300 and snap one up, expecting/hoping to lose less than $50K in 5-10 years of ownership. The thing holding me back the most is that the aventador successor is no doubt gonna look insanely good, and have a dual clutch etc. and then mine would be old news. On the flip side, stronger emissions regulations now mean that future lambos may have to have turbos or hybrid technology, or stay stagnant, making the avvy and huracan the last NA cars ever..

21. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Murci
    Gallardo
    Bentley Cont

Sounds like fun

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd get a 550 and a manual Murcielago.

Aventador will drop like crazy as soon as it's replacement comes out with DCT gearbox. 550 and (manual) Murcielago will both go up. I'd add a Challenge Stradale ASAP, pretty much the best modern Ferrari ever build if you ask me. The right mix between raw and modern..

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Jerry makes a great point. The new gen 5 Vipers are very capable sports cars. I had a 2009 Viper and it had a nervous chasis. The Viper is also reliable. I do not know if they will go up in value but I suspect they may.

The generation 5 Vipers are great drivers fun and sexy looking in my opinion and the growl is intoxicating, just a great sound.

Best
    Lee

24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Gen5 is a great car.

Same here.

I daily a Viper GTS (gen2) and have an LP640 manual, both lightly modified. The Viper is so much fun to drive that I find myself leaving the Lambo at home, a lot. Viper is cheap and replaceable, so I'm not worried about racking up miles, parking it anywhere, getting damaged, etc. Lambo is a different story.

I had a blue/white supercharged '96 GTS and that thing was the only car that could draw a crowd like the Murci. My silver '99 ACR and black '00 GTS get about half the attention of the b/w. The b/w was LOUD.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIC3Gc8guU[/ame]