Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    He'd fit right in to the South Florida charter community.

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I am a complete amatuer but... I live here in scottsdale and am in a hangar on a taxi way at this airport etc... and I have heard it is the busiest or 2nd businest GA for years... no way thats true... Deer Valley which is about 2 miles north and 8 miles west is SIGNIFICANTLY busier...

Now if it was was the busiest Single runway GA in the country or 2nd busiest I could believe it... but... we might as well say Im the best looking guy in the world who is my height weight, exact age to the millisecond, has the same amount of freckles, scars, teeth, hair follicles and eye color...

Glad everyone is alright. Unfortunate incident but luckily everyone is alright!

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I live in scottsdale, that airport is pretty darn quiet. Sometimes several tens of minutes between takeoffs and landings. I'd be shocked if it was truly the 2nd busiest GA airport.

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Crap happens. It sounds like the pilots followed the checklist so they are in the clear.

6. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I believe it's a 1500fpm decent rate too.

7. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I've seen negative feedback regarding these planes. Being a layman in this world why don't other manufacturers use his technology for small planes? It seems to save lives.
    If I was to be in the market to buy a plane a parachute would be a good selling point I would think. Or am I missing something ?

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    And, that's really all it is; a selling point. Other companies do use chutes, BTW.

Mark

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

Oh didn't know others did.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've heard of a (very) few Cessnas with BRS, but not any others to speak of.

Many would argue that it's not just a selling point. The Cirrus fatality rate per mile is very low.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    "Experience is the comb nature gives you after you are bald" is something my adopted grandmother had written down. Too bad things often are learned the hard way, when it's too late for those lives that are lost.

From the article:

Kathryn's Report: Deadly plane crash changed families, safety rules: Beechcraft 95-B55 Baron, Tann Company, N6127V (and) Douglas DC-9-15, Trans World Airlines (TWA), N1063T; fatal accident occurred March 09, 1967 in Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio

The most immediate result was a rule issued in December the year of the crash that limited the speed of aircraft flying below 10,000 feet. The NTSB’s final report concluded that it would have been difficult for the TWA flight crew to see the smaller plane at the speed the DC-9 was traveling.

At the time, the air traffic control system also wasn’t designed to separate controlled aircraft, like the DC-9 jet, and a small, uncontrolled plane like the Beechcraft, Bednarek said. Air traffic control never issued a warning to the DC-9 until seconds before the planes collided.

The Urbana crash wasn’t the only mid-air tragedy that year, Bednarek said. On June 19, 1967, a Piedmont 727 collided with a Cessna 310 near Hendersonville, N.C., killing 82 people.

Those two incidents resulted in Congressional hearings on aviation safety that became caught up in ongoing struggles over how to pay for the U.S. air traffic control system, she said, as well as what role airports should play in the air traffic control system.

In 1969, the NTSB convened a hearing to determine how to prevent mid-air collisions. About a year later the agency recommended new procedures that included the development of Collision Avoidance Systems for commercial aircraft and larger general aviation aircraft.

The NTSB also recommended the development of Pilot Warning Systems, Bednarek said.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Two survivors, good news.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They say water landing like that is news. Um, isn't that the idea with an amphib?

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Small airplane/hull like that is probably not much good in rough water of any sort. Even the water in the picture shown in the link would feel rough.

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Icon (facebook page) threw pilots under the bus declaring pilot error.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #67 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #68 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm wondering if someone knew him. Kathryn's Report puts the lives lost in focus, providing the human element. I don't know why I read these except to try and learn. It seems to always be about weather, bad decisions, pilot error, and tragic consequences. You hope that the pilots your hire keep you safe and get you there. Not in this case.

Kathryn's Report: Piper PA-46-310P Malibu, Park City Aviation, N123SB: Fatal accident occurred April 07, 2017 near Mahlon Sweet Field Airport (KEUG), Harrisburg, Linn County, Oregon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It was a nasty day-- I'm glad I wasn't flying.

19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Yes.

Here is the statement ICON Aircraft CEO Kirk Hawkins sent to our customers about today’s accident:
    “It is with great sadness that I write this. Earlier today, two ICON Employees were killed in an A5 accident while flying at Lake Berryessa, CA. We have no details on the cause of the accident right now and the names of the victims have not been released publicly. The NTSB and FAA have been notified and ICON will be working closely with them to fully support their investigation.
    This was a devastating personal loss for many of us. Once arrangements have been made with all the families involved we will let you know more. Please hold your calls and requests for a brief period while we work through this tragic event with the family members and employees. The thoughts and prayers of our entire organization are with the families of both people onboard, they were both truly amazing individuals.”

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very sad to see this, and it appeared to involve experience pilots. RIP.

I just don't see how Icon can recover from this, the earlier submerged accident, ever increasing prices, complex agreements. And that doesn't include trying to catch the highly successful Searey (700+ flying); and up & coming Seamax and Super Petrel. These aircraft breezed through certification and are priced much lower.

21. pilot_rick

pilot_rick Rookie

Jan 2, 2014
    So the internet thinks he hit a power line. I bet Icon can survive this. Cirrus had their test pilot killed due to a design flaw.

22. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    I believe that Icon can survive this, but it is certainly tragic.

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Devastated news. All the 5 pilots who died, were company's experienced test pilots. A solution must be found...fast.