Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Aaya, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    No prob, not trying to knock your lifts at all. I workout alone as well and that does limit how far you can push yourself, nothing like a pucker factor of 10 on a heavy rep and your brains screaming uncle! I'll usually hit the yard for those 'ditch' lifts and blame the dents on raccoons' :)

If your consistently lifting then getting a routine would really maximize your time and gains. Loads of info out there on grouping body parts for symmetry and combining isolation's into supersets, kinda miss those right now.

Ages ago I picked up the Arnold encyclopedia book, yeah the nutrition section is not that great and it's a bit dated but that's not why I find it a good book, it's got dang near every exercise you can imagine in it, and there is a decent routine schedule as well, the second advanced stage is BRUTAL, lots of isolation and supersets that leave you unable to move the next day. First time I made it to the arm routine, holding anything even a piece of paper was almost impossible. I honestly don't know how much input really came from Arnold I suspect it was more marketing then anything but it's a great reference for lifts and form.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Very true, our CNS is a critical part of lifting. Hence why rest between sets is not only imperative but will vary depending on weight and intensity of that lift. No two people will be the same. I've had workouts take 2hrs due to the rest intervals. It's something that many novices fail to grasp, your brain is just as important in that lift as your muscle, maybe more so then we think. fatigue your CNS and it's all over. As you mention going autopilot is also a problem, muscle memory starts upstairs. Got to change things up to keep the gains going.

I'll try that with the larger ones. Maybe it's me but the grips seem a bit soft, the durometer is lower then I expected. the 'squishy' feel is a bit odd. I'm tempted to have my machinist turn some delrin or even cheap basic ABS that I can press slide onto the bar. taking apart a bar is simple so I don't have any issues there and it would get rid of the slit form.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No absolutely a routine is good, especially for symmetry. I typically will similar sets for each body part, but week to week it will vary how I workout. So everything may have 4 sets, the next week everything may be 3 sets.

Since I don't really have a goal right now, lifting is just a stress reliever and I just feel better afterwards.

4. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yep. I never do more than three lifts during a workout, ever. I'll do some additional bodyweight work and a conditioning set at the end (tabata sequence or whatever will drag my skull through the dirt a bit), but never more than three big lifts.

People think that such a workout would be over quickly. Those people have never tried to do 3x5 squats, with 3-4 warmup sets, with serious weight.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    +1
    For those wondering what 3x5 or 5x5 is, here's a good overview with lots of info in one place.
    StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger

first week is a breeze, 2nd a walk in the park, 3rd well now it's more of a jog uphill, 4th WTH man! 5th Are F-in kidding me! 6th Lord, dear Lord just put me out of my misery! 7th Chuck Norris pays a visit! it ends badly... 8th _______ 9th Hey, blacking out and vomiting on yourself is normal!
    That's what I recall the last time I tortured myself with the 5x5, I'm only at week 4 now... really looking forward to the weeks ahead. :D

Went to a PT today, got a much needed deep tissue massage. Oh the soreness... Next one's in 3wks...
    Enjoy!

6. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you think 5x5's are extreme, try German Volume Training. It's 10x10's. ;)

If you do it straight off of a strength phase, it rocks the hypertrophy pretty hard.

I like the way you're talking. Sounds like you've been studying this for years. :)

Arnold was outstanding in the mind/muscle connection. He once said (paraphrasing) "before each set, I think about why I'm doing it."

What rest intervals are you normally taking between sets?

I hate the slit form on the Fat Grips. I had the bar slip from my grip on bench and crash down on my chest one of the first times I used them. Granted, I use a hook grip on bench, and that's a big part of the issue. Thankfully I was using lighter weight, as I was doing extremely slow rep work at the time.

They are squishy, which does add to them feeling less stable. I agree. I think they are made out of racquetball plastic.

Really interested to see what kind of solution you come up with.

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'll check out the 10x10, sounds brutal.
    Rest time will vary depending on how I feel, today I was able to blast thru squats even after adding 10lbs from the last time. Surprised me actually, I'll chalk it up to the massage yesterday, sore as hell but was really able to hold great form.

The bench was tough though, rest intervals started at about 1min and by the last set it was a full 5 mins. I go for heart rate back to normal and mind at rest. I've read it can take upwards of 10mins at real heavy loads or basically the closer you get to your 1RM, which is going to be a moving target if you think about it.

Yeah not only a bit squishy but stinky. I'll let you know if I get something done with delrin.

8. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    GVT is brutal, no doubt.

You're obviously doing things right if you're adding nickels each week. It's very cool that you've found what works for you.

I'm still experimenting to find what works for me. I've been able to narrow it down a bit. 5-day splits, high time under tension, and going to absolute failure, every time. Tri-Sets and Doublés seem to work extremely well.

I, like Nous, have had major back surgery. I was squatting 5 plates and benching 3 1/2 for reps in college. After the titanium additions in my back (happened a few years ago) I've been going extremely slow with everything as I was told by the doctor not to lift again. But slowly and surely, I'm fighting back and transforming from toothpick to athletic.

The stinky part of the Fat Grips doesn't last long. Mine definitely don't have that pungent characteristic anymore. Easier to slide on and off the bars, too.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress here, smg. :)

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  10. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, J! Outstanding.

One thing that Poliquin doesn't address here that he has in two of his books (Poliquin Principles & Ask Coach Poliquin Q&A) is that you should start it after a strength based routine, and after completing GVT, go back to a strength based training program. All three, used in this manner, will result in massive strength and size gains.

All strength based really means is that your rest intervals are 4 minutes in between (so super setting would be suggested to make the most of your time.)

Thanks again for that link, J. Outstanding to see it broken down like that! :)

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The routine I was doing at my peak was very similar to GVT, but I had to first get the core strength base down first. Then progress and it took at least 2yrs before I moved to using supersets in each workout. At my peak I hit the weights twice a day, 1.5~2hrs at a time, every other day.

I was never after size so I didn't focus on high-rep low weight lifting. Always heavy weight and 10reps with 5~10 sets depending on group. For example, the chest routine. I started with Flat bench 10x6 (reps/sets) then incline 10x6, then decline 10x6 then flat butterflies 100 and finish with incline butterflies 100.
    Like squats I also include pull ups with every workout, I don't know if it has a name or what it would even be called but I do a pull up where you then rotate your body so that you are now hanging as horizontal as possible, then one where you curl up your knees to your chest then you continue and invert thru your arms and you'll be hanging with your arms flipped round the wrong way. I then pull-up and reverse direction to 'unwind' really helps with flexibility and for me at least it's not that hard. Been doing it since I first learned to swing on the monkey bars as a child.

12. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're right! Very close to GVT!

I started off strength based, too. Low rep, high intensity, 4 minutes between sets. Now things are different due to my injury and I started concentrating more on size. What I've learned now is that by alternating between the two, it keeps your muscles confused, which keeps you from hitting strength plateaus and gives you size along with the strength. Good stuff.

That's outstanding on your pull-up strength. I am trying to get more strength in that particular exercise. You'd put me to shame on that, for sure! :)

Great stuff man!!

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    With pull ups it's one of those slow to get going but adds up over time. Requires doing them every single day, however many one can do. But keep going for more each day. In not to long they get easy. If you've had a back injury or surgery pull ups and the variations thereof are the best thing for strength recovery. A long time ago when my dad was injured in an industrial accident his spine was fractured and broken in many places, they ended up removing two vertebrae and fusing a couple more, Ti rods etc.. his PT included lots of pull ups and core strength moves.

Here's a link to a fairly decent overview of exercises that deal with back injury and recovery. How To Heal a Herniated Disc Guide (Part 1) ? Reducing Chronic Pain | Stronger Fitter You

14. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks SMG!

I bookmarked page three. Good stuff. :) And the boobies on page one! Mmmmm. :D

Thanks brotha. When I started, I was doing 4 pull-ups. Now I can get 6 pull-ups with very controlled 4 second downs. By the last one I'm shaking like an epileptic, but I'm getting there. :D They've done far better than lat pull downs on making my lats hypertrophy, too. Just need to keep it going, and like you say, I'll try doing them everyday at the gym instead of just on back day. I'll give it a shot because going from 4 reps to 6 slow reps in a year and a half is frustratingly slow progression imho.

15. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wow, you have incredibly high testosterone levels. I get negative gains after 1.25 hours of lifting because I hit my peak.

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbb1BscZgs[/ame]

Go to 13:40. This looks like a great and intense way to end any workout. Not gonna lie, I'm exhausted just watching.

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Roughly the 1st month update,
    Increases by lift:
    Squat:+80lb
    BP:+35lb
    OP:+15lb
    DL:+60lb
    BR:+15lb

3 lift Total is now 935lb up+205 from when I started. Body weight dropped by 5lbs then gained 2lb.

When I started squats where low, still are but gaining quickly . Going by the move with most weight I could lift, BP & DL, the delta was 105lbs, DL is now greater then all of them. Squats are only within 60lbs of BP and on par with BR. the OP is the one lagging the most. OP are tough! I'm used to doing the clean and press so momentum was key and allows for more weight to be lifted.

18. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    This thread is getting me pumped to start again... :)

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Nice! I wish I was seeing the same results I'm in a rut but I think it's because I'm not getting enough calories. I'm aiming for 3,300 calories a day at 40/40/20 but it's a struggle to work and eat that much. I fell like I'm going to burst I'm eating so much.

What calories/macros are you using?

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you sure you need that many calories? Maybe reduce it down to 2750-3000?

When you are you taking in most of your carbs? I would definitely encourage you to get them before you go to the gym and dramatically reduce them afterwards. I've began adding a bagel to my protein bar an hour to two beforehand, and notice quite a difference in my strength and endurance.

Also I would try an some sort of intra-workout BCAA drink. It really helps too.

21. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    (broken record, I know) - you're probably over training.

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Thanks, this is going to sound crazy and honestly I used to track that stuff. I don't anymore. doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what I'm eating but that I don't get that micro involved about it. I got to where I could 'read' the feedback and eat accordingly. First off, I do not eat fast food -period- I also do not eat pre-packaged or boxed food. eating out at a restaurant occurs maybe once a month or even once every two months. I make everything I eat from scratch save for the protein drinks. I found that isopure is the easiest for me to digest so that's what I've been using for the last decade. Recently I did add in 'Bests BCAA' it's stupid sweet so I have to mix it with 2X the water in order to cut that sticky sweet taste. It's been a great addition to my lifting sessions that take 1.5hrs. really cut down on the recovery and fatigue from the day prior.

I've read that when one craves carbs the body is actually short on protein. I have not had and actually lost the carb/sweet desire a couple yrs back when I increased the protein I eat. I start my day with tea and eggs, every single day, no toast but usually a handmade tortilla. snacking or grazing thru the day on almonds, goat or sheep cheese -can't do cow dairy- pomegranate juice, a favorite of mine. lunch is usually ground beef and re-fried beans, or a slab of tuna or sandwich if I feel like eating bread, normally don't. always have a protein shake a day. dinner is veggies and meat, but very little to no starchy veggies.

But yes It's been a struggle as well to increase my caloric intake after having cut back so much for a couple yrs.

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    +1 on the BCAA

caloric needs are very dependent on body muscle mass. I'm 6'4" @ 250lbs The absolute leanest I could get would be 235, and by then I don't have enough body fat to train or function at 100%. 240 is my lower limit and lowers my strength potential. According to BMI based on height/weight I'm obese and should drastically cut back on calories. However one look at me and anyone who weight trains and we'd be stupid to call it obese. Point is caloric needs are highly specific to body type and muscle mass along with ones very individual metabolic rate.

24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I did a body fat tank and was told at my level of activity that's what I should be taking in. I know if I don't get around that much it gets tough.

I'm not a carb fan so it's a struggle for me to get them in. I usually do in the morning before workout and later in the evening. I'm going to try the BCAA again and see what happens.

Probably! ;) I do get carried away but I'm addicted. Typical for me is 5-6 days a week. On my strength days I'll throw in a 3 mile run. Other days is some strength mixed in with a 30-40 minute metcon.

I too eat very clean, no sugar, all natural, lots of protein. I normally just eat everything in sight as long as it's healthy. I just recently started doing macros and weighing everything to see if I can somehow get some strength without getting too doughy.

Lol, my problem is I want it all! ;)

25. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The old standard that always worked for me: a gallon of whole milk a day. Drink a quart after your workout with chocolate syrup... adds back in the sugars you need. Seriously, chocolate milk is very nearly the perfect recovery drink. Milk has a lot of BCAAs.