Back Plate only in Nebraska | FerrariChat

Back Plate only in Nebraska

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by THE RED MENACE, Mar 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I read this morning that a bill advanced to allow only back license plates in Nebraska, this would be awesome. Surprise Surprise the lobbyist for the license plate maker was saying that we need to have front and back for police, but more likely so they can sell twice as many license plates to Nebraska. Many other states with much higher crime rates require only back plate so I don't think that should be a major consideration. Hopefully this will move forward and we can have just back plates

2. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Who cares about Neb law?
    An option:
    1. Don't you also live in or go back and forth to AZ? One plate state - register there. Easiest solution.

About cost, an excerpt from an article:
    "A frequent argument against having two plates is that it raises costs for the issuing state, and changing to one plate would save money.
    Not so, Walden said.
    "If you have two plates and then go down to one, the production costs go down, but it's by cents," she said. "We're not even talking about a dollar level, and the price is passed on to the customer. It's not like it's costing the state money because the plate cost is being passed on."

Source:
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/10/how-many-states-require-front-license-plates/

P.S. Florida is also a one plate state, if you know anyone there ;)

3. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Looks like there will be a $100 fee per year associated with this. How much does a no-front-plate ticket cost?

4. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    $78 or something close to that, I just got one in Sarpy County earlier this month. Got it dropped through the county attorney's office a week later.

Special Interest plates are $53 and you only get one, for the back. No front plate. I'd rather do that than pay $100 a year.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yeah. I'm not sure what problem this law is going to solve. How'd you get the ticket dropped? Connections? Just call and ask?

6. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Called and told them I mounted a front plate. They gave me an email address, said to email them proof and they'd take it to the attorney and see if he would not file the ticket. I zip tied a plate into my grille, took the picture, emailed it, then cut the zip ties and put my plate back in the trunk, haha. They emailed me a couple of days later and said the ticket wasn't being filed, and I didn't have to pay the fees or court costs.

7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Nice! Technically, you didn't lie, either.