Barn find stories? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Barn find stories?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    How does a car end up in an unrecvorable place to begin with, driving on ice?

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My story is of my late lambo 350 Gt. While living in South Africa 15 years ago I bought a countach very reasonably from somebody who needed money like right now. I took a quick loan, drove the car for a few the weeks while trying to sell it as my loan was short term. Sold the countach for cash, a quite used vette convertible and a M5 with 30kmi. Used the cash to repay the loan, sold the vette quickly and the M5 sat.

Then I heard about a 350 Gt sitiing in a farmers barn, traded the M5 to him for the 350 GT and some cash. Figured I would use the cash to restore the 350 GT. car was complete, but between redoing bodywork, interior, rebuild engine with new pistons and a couple of cams. Bushings, rubber, diff, gearbox etc etc. The cost balloned to the opoint where I could have bought a decent Daytona, and the profits from the countach were long gone.

Along the way when I was about halfway through the 350GT in 99 someone offered to swap me their totaly redone Miura S for the half done 350Gt plus $50K. Frankly this would have been a more desirable and it turns out cheaper option, I did not do the trade as I had little clue what the 350 would cost and had just bought an apartment so was reluctant to sopend more money. Penny wise and pound foolish it turns out. Funny thing was when redoing the 350 Gt which took over 8 years I also saw a 330gtc for and an alfa Sz both of which I would happily have bought for less than I had tied up in the 350GT. I call the 350 gt lesson my school fees.

Sold the 350 gt a year ago when the market was more robust and recovered the money plus a bit. Learned the lesson of restoration, it costs the same to redo a $1mill V12 Italian car properly as a $150K car. Bottom line have someone else spend the money. I have heard it many times since, great restoration with the car thrown in for free. Fun project though.

Oh yes and Wife took the money to put under the matress, so car fund depleted. But some funds went to a great redo of the boxer.

Bill the idea of a glass 308 seems to be sticking in the head lately, hmm. Plus I need a track car and if still breathing in a year or two I am really saving for a 288.

So basicaly now I am keeping the powder dry for the right car opportunity. I doubt it will involve a restoration but then I am a car addict.

3. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    #178 OhioMark, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    About 10 years ago I rode along with a friend who raced FV's and needed to pick-up a tranny that he had rebuilt by an older gentleman.
    We entered his quasi-shop/garage/barn only to find an early 356 coupe on a rottisserie and a 54' Speedster (#54 /#200) located
    farther back in the building. The story goes that the car was parked in the mid-sixties and hadn't been moved since. The owner wanted
    $18,000 for it at the time, and after adding up the restoration costs (late 90's), I quickly realized I'd be upside down quickly with it. I
    later learned that it had been sold to a gentleman in Nevada who restored it and it recently changed hands for around $175K.
    The older gentleman also had an early sixties German version karmin Ghia , 914/ 4 and several vintage Vee's from his younger days
    which also included racing in the Put-in-Bay road races on that island in the late 50's. The building where these cars were stored
    was unassuming so you never know what lurks behind doors that you drive by every day. I also found a late 50's Chrysler 300 years
    ago but that story can wait. Great topic and stories! keep em' coming!

Mark

4. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    There is a `36 Cord at the bottom of Gull lake near Kalamazoo Mi. that was the result of an early winter ice fishing trip. Not really a project I`d want to tackle.

5. alprimo

alprimo Rookie

Jan 1, 2008
  6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Too bad you can't just hook some cables to it and pull it out like they did this Russian WWII tank: http://www.12mbdragoons.com/panzer/

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alprimo,

First: welcome aboard!

Second: the story is from a few years ago and caused quite a stir, however it is not real.

MotoB,

Very cool! Unfortunately, a Soviet T-34 will withstand a brute force approach much better than Italian sportscar coachwork will.

Regards,

Art S.

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hi Art. Are you saying the Portugal barn find is not real? Any links to this. I really thought it was :(

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #185 2NA, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Pretty sure it is a Renault Caravelle.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I think you might be right.

It's for sale at auction next week, anyone want it?

What's it worth?

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Just today I heard (on the Today show) that a rare early Bugatti has been discovered in Europe and will go to auction.

13. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
  14. emiel

emiel Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Vlissingen
    Full Name:
    Emiel Wind
    its a 1 of 17 Bugatti Atalante... how amazing would it be to find something like that!!!

15. Cris

Cris Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Vermont
    #191 Cris, Jan 2, 2009
  16. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Don't take it unless they PAY YOU!!!!!

17. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    #193 Vintage47, Jan 3, 2009
    Easy to maintain, good on petrol, removable hardtop on some models, four wheel disc brakes on later cars.
    Pleasant looking--Virgil M. Exner, Jr. designed with involvement of both Frua and Ghia--(there was a lawsuit between Frua and Ghia).
    Later cars were meant to have a full rear seat and therefore have the square hardtop.
    I own one.
    The car is not stellar in performance or handling. A sheep in wolf's clothing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bill your story reminds me of the recovery of the Vasa ship: surely one of the greatest marine recoveries ever and also one of the biggest ego generated disatrs ever -king size ego in this case- are you familiar with it?

www.vasamuseet.se

In English: I don't rate Wikipedia but they do mention the salvage. It was Franzén, a man who happened to be courting my aunt at the time who pulled it off. The the ship was sprayed for decades with a solution to, I think, make sure exposure to the air would not rot the wood.

If you are in Stockholm you have to visit, it is quite a sight!

best regards,

Marc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_%28ship%29

19. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Do you have more details about this car?

20. Racedrvr

Racedrvr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2008
    Kentucky/Florida
    Full Name:
    Don
  21. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
  22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  23. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #200 dretceterini, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    I agree. If it was a T57SC Atalante (supercharged), rather than "just a T57S, it would have gone for somewhat more.