Barn find.... today | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Apr 30, 2012
    Scuderia Rampante
    Full Name:
    Jenni Helms

One day I will acquire the writing skills my father has but until then, I'll keep them short and sweet. Even for myself, witnessing this project first hand, I enjoy reading every post Dave puts up. It give me the first hand experience in the shop.. get down and dirty into that old engine, also a moment to sit back and absorb everything we had just accomplished. Thats when it all sinks in. One of the biggest learning curves I do not take with a grain of salt. A lucky girl to be his daughter, learning from the best. This car has been signed up for a restoration, per me.. Project Manager, finish this one out til the end.

Soon, maybe lady luck (who has been on my side a number of times) will wave that .. toilet brush? and give me the powers to write like Dave.. We'll see how that goes.

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    You need to show up for Work (remember that 4 letter word?) because the mechanic Fairy's sure aren't doing your part on the car when the lights are off at night. "Want in one hand, what is in the Other?"

I hope you reflected on your Lady Luck thing.... from the hospital bed.... and realized that Lady IS a .........WOMAN.......... who has the prerogative to decide the fate of her characters.

Lady Luck is a Woman, Gravity is a Bltch, Concrete is Hard and the older you get the slower you heal..... Are there any other words of wisdom we need to draw from the group for you? Maybe a show of hands of those that think wearing a Hemet when diving head first at concrete.... is Un-Cool perhaps? This is a group of very smart and successful folks, maybe they can fill in where a "stupid father" has failed to make a point......

3. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Apr 30, 2012
    Scuderia Rampante
    Full Name:
    Jenni Helms
    Happy Tuesday :/

4. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Damn, Jen...

You rise as early as your father???

:yawn:

5. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Apr 30, 2012
    Scuderia Rampante
    Full Name:
    Jenni Helms
    the one Helms trait I DID inherit ........ sighhh****

6. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Starting early is always a good thing- it's quiet, the mind is clear, things seem to come easy.

7. BLAMPEE

Especially sleep...;)

I love sleeping in.

I don't ever start working until at least 1pm. :eek:

8. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Plus the coffee is freshest because you made it. I love quiet mornings where I'm the only one in the office (like it is right now) -- especially after the 20 minute drive in the 328 to get here.

9. seanm858

seanm858 Rookie

Nov 29, 2009
    nw washington
    Full Name:
    Sean McDonough
    As another northwester,I have found following this thread a reminder of alot of the people I grew up around.Their motto: if you are not up and moving before the sun you are wasting time ! I agree with both sides of the coin on this car,but I also would have a very hard time cutting up a complete car.I am glad to see you push forward on this project.

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Integrity over financial gain, another.

Resisting poking an insult-prone customer in the eye with a sharp and well-deserved stick, another.

Probably others loom. :)

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    3:30AM going on 6 years now. For most of that time I had to be up to have conversations with the Germans while redesigning the F40 headgaskets. Fresh in the AM allowed a higher tolerance level of the daily insults I had to endure for those years.... "Hah, is that all youve got"? One day I will run a contest to see who can guess the closest to the number of times this Brain Trust asked me if I had cleaned out the debris in the head bolt holes on the F40's. Finally I conceeded defeat to those wiser than myself and just answered "Yes, I have, that was not the problem". Up at 3:30.... a drooling blob, life of the party by 8:30PM. My normal life before that was 4:30-5 but do you think I can get back into that habit?!

I leave a Demolition Sawzall blade on the roof of my 77GTB and this car. If there is a message to send to an inanimate object to behave... that ought to do it. Pure economics says they are both worth more as bits but I agree Sean, that would be difficult.

12. BLAMPEE

Dave...you are a ****in' hoot. :p

(Sold the 355 last week. Transport truck arrives tomorrow morning to take her to her new FChat owner in Pennsylvania.) :(

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    That has to be bitter sweet! It will only be a short time and you will be back looking for a replacement red sled, I should make book on that time period.

Thinking..... I could follow the popular trend and pull the hoists out and replace them with Grow boxes or Pews with a book running operation in the office. Heck, either way, I could be printing money and own a car that Runs!

14. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Difficult you say? Oh, that is the understatement of the century! Let us guess who would make life difficult for you should you choose to employ the sawzall to its proper function... Got a dog house to live in? I hear they can be made pretty comfortable :D

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My work is done here. :)

16. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Were you bungee jumping without a helmet or just riding a bike (non motorized) not expecting to fall?

17. BLAMPEE

Always make me laugh, Dave.

Hopefully I'm still welcome to stop by your shop again and harass you and the girls and the pup pups. :eek:

And Dave...I will never own a Red Ferarri. Giallo, maybe....but I can't imagine owning one that isn't TdF....:eek:

I have some ideas for a next car and have narrowed it down into 3 choices. But two will not be an option until 2014. ;)

I hope our paths cross again soon, my friend. I truly enjoy our time we spent together, buddy. :)

~Brock

18. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Apr 30, 2012
    Scuderia Rampante
    Full Name:
    Jenni Helms
    Please do!

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #394 davehelms, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    They are all red Brock. There are White red cars, there are Blue red cars, but they are all red at heart. I dream one day of painting a TdF in Gulf Mirage colors but that just goes back to childhood memories.

The door is always open, that is unconditional if you own a car or are simply thinking of the next.... just make sure the Livestock on the badge doesn't change!

I am heavily leaning on restoring this original interior on the 330 regardless of what really makes sense. I see no valid reason to allow logic and reason into this restoration at this stage, that would simply be out of character. There is just something about old leather that is still soft and supple.... you cant duplicate it with new.... they don't make Cows the way they used to! I will pre beg forgiveness but that plywood looking dash has to go. Burled Walnut, Birds Eye Maple, anything interesting yet descrete and in the same shades and colors, something that has an appeal to the eye.... that is a personal must for me. I will likely carve out a whole new dash so I can pass on the original to the next owner.... blame the British influance but even my POS TR3 race car had a Burled Maple dash on it!

Once this thing comes close to making Stink again you can darn well bet I will be dragging you out of retirement and have you work your magic on it. Based on the Legendary status you hold here, you must be the worlds Master of rubbing special oils into hide.... lucky cuss.

I have a few cars to finish for the MA show, and a special 456 test mule for a host of new designs to finish and then I can take a breather and get some quality time on the 330 again in the evenings.... actually something I am looking forward to now that there is a new plan in place. It will require some quite time to finish the machine work on the carbs but I should be able to find a little of that here and there. The rest is just nuts and bolts at this stage, an effort to make it pretty only comes into effect once a proper restoration starts.

In my minds eye, this current surge is just a Triage effort to make Joe giggle a bit and get him talking about memories with the car. Shortly after that we can redefine the burn rate and temperatures at which paper money turns to ash as it is thrown into a black hole, a very deep and dark black hole.

20. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    The Red Mist also is always red.

21. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    I have been an interested observer for a while following this thread. I don't have a Ferrari, a TR6 will do. I do like Ferraris though and live in Green Bay, near Motion Products. I've gotten to see some great cars there. You mention the MA show. Is that the McCall Motorsprts at the airport? I ask as my daughter and son-in-law are there. He is a marine going to the Navy Post grad school. They received 2 tickets to the McCall and I advised them to go no question. I would be interested to see if you and Joe's 330 would be there.

Perry

22. BLAMPEE

Dave, I say this with zero joking...

Any day of the week you call me I would fly out there to help you for a day or two Leatherique those hides. Just call and I'm there. I have no life!!! :p

It is a skill I have mastered taking cars of my 355 for the past four years. :)

Oh, Jenni...:)

The Light of Scuderia Rampante...;)

I hope our paths cross again soon, as well.

Every time I go in there it is always a pleasure to see you and chat with you. ;)

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #398 davehelms, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    A TR6 will do quite nicely! My father hails from Neenah and I cant think of a backroad in your area that wasnt used for a shake down drive on the Race Cars we had at RA. I will always love that area and miss it since moving from MN to CO.

The show I am referring to is the Morgan Adams Foundation Charity show at Centennial Airport in Denver. http://morganadamsconcours.org/ A wonderful show for a great cause, we were proud to be able to be a small part of it this year. We had pledged a portion of the SRI proceeds to this cause and it is you folks that made that happen, my sincere Thanks to all for that.

My plan was to reunite the 330, in running form, to Joe at this event but alas, maybe this fall. At this point we will have J and his wife, Joe, Dad is flying up, we are holding hope a dear friend/Fchatter will be able to attend with us, Jenni (if we can get her glued back together in time), Kris and myself. Something of a surprise for Joe as I know he has no idea what to expect. Being a WWII Vet and with a far bigger group of old War Birds attending than is shown on the MA web site, I am positive both Dad and Joe will enjoy the show if for that alone. Another friend of ours is in charge of picking the cars to be shown at that event. Based on conversations with him, it should be a very impressive line up for the 10 year anniversary of the show. This should be a very enjoyable evening and it will be fun to corral everyone back together that has been involved in this project to date. Sadly, life and the work load has been Too busy as of late for me to get up to see Joe and spend some quite time with J and his family. Every moment we are at the shop and not on a day time project, we are working on the 330 by candle light...... one day I will just have to pull the plug and just make it happen.

You have no life Brock.......... HAH! I have not been as much as out of this shop for a lunch in the last two... edit, four years! Oh sure upper management leave's everyday...."Do you want a coffee?" Sometimes they even happen to remember to bring one back for the droid.

I will try to prod Rich into a meeting soon regarding the use of the tunnel leather as bolster replacement on the seats. I will pull off some line of BS about providing him with seats and spare leather that is Baby Butt smooth, supple and so easy to work with that a child could do the upholstery work.... and then wait for the rebuttal of "where the heck is the Boss, I no longer want to deal with the janitorial staff on this project". This is one sublet source where I have to pre think a conversation out about 6 levels, he is a worthy adversary and just one grumpy old cuss! "Oh, and when your done doing that, I want it to smell like NEW Leather as well".... that ought to provide the little slap in the back of the head as he walks away! Picture a mix of a geriatric, slow motion Clash of the Titans and Grumpy Old Men where the one with the freshest new insult walks away with the Title! The problem here is I always have to let him win...... he is the one that writes the Bill when its all said and done. IF the plan works Brock, I WILL have you here spit shining that leather before we bring it to Rich.

Our friends Son back in MN is a cabinet maker and has expressed interest in making a whole new Walnut dash for the car for us. This way I can fulfill my want of an interesting wood yet retain an original part for someone wanting that put back in one day. I suspect that wont be addressed until this winter but planning is a big part of a project such as this. That also means I will have to set aside an hour so I can call Margaret about having her do her magic on all the gauges at the same time. No one finer at her game, she has built me a Tach for the Harrison from an artists drawing in an early 60's Sports Car Illustrated article, a true pro in every sense. Yet another dear friend I have spoken to for 30 plus years and have yet to meet face to face. Our yearly conversation is never shorter than an hour as we have to talk about all the kids and Grand kids on both sides. Not unlike my conversations with Mike, sometimes we even get around to discussing gauges. At that point she will remind me she still has all the gauges for the Lotus 19 and they should be coming up to the front of the shelf to be worked on soon. We will chuckle about that..... as she says the same thing for the last 9 years..... Obviously we live the same lives!

24. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Dave; Go for the European Black Walnut dash.."1" piece....with 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer...that's "Classic"!!!.....My Best Regards....Mark

25. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Road America is one of the best places on earth. I hope to get to Monterey next year and hope to be @ August for the Monterey Historics and Carmel. At the event where my son-in-law spoke, he started talking with a WWII fighter pilot and thats who gave them teh tickets. I would love to be able to talk to some of those guys. The stories. They are great guys.

Perry