Battery conditioner/tender connector | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Battery conditioner/tender connector

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 2000 456M, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Show us the cable you bought for $46.

Just noticed Ricambi sells the Schedoni battery charger cases new for $225. Good deal. Could probably buy 10 and sell them on E-Bay for $350 each.

Dave, Allan- I think your idea will work if you just get some push-me, pull-you rodents to power it when all else fails.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

2. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    #27 bobwass, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    it is only that goofy multi proged cable. i'm going to check
    my charger tonite. haven't bot it yet but the part #31 on the site is priced:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=349

177795 [177795 BATTERY CHARGER CABLE] $46.27 each

BATTERY CHARGER CABLE
    This item is used in the following applications:
    Vehicle Quantity Table Location Parts Diagram (Click to view)
    360 Modena 1 54 24 BATTERY
    360 Spider 1 54 24 BATTERY
    456M 1 65 39 BATTERY
    550 Maranello 1 54 31 BATTERY
    575M 1 59 31 BATTERY
    599 1 53 34 BATTERY
    612 Scaglietti 1 58 37 BATTERY
    Challenge Stradale 1 51 24 BATTERY
    ENZO 1 47 29 BATTERY
    F355 M5.2 (1996+) 1 53 73 CURRENT GENERATOR - STARTING MOTOR - BATTERY
    Contact us about use in cars not listed above ...

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I see. $46 is a bargain since they were asking for more elsewhere for a similar cable.

Allan's problem could be solved as well, but the cable he needs is ~$200, not such a bargain for a cable with two alligator clips. Those clips could be removed and replaced with a simple connector, though. Then he would have a really expensive charger.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=207521

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    whoops i need part #30 $192!!! yikes. i read the schematic wrong.

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That's what I thought; your comment had led me to believe that I was the one who'd misread the schematic. Next stop, Interstate.

6. jwbond

jwbond Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    This is the exact battery tender and leather case that I got with mine when I bought it used. However, I can't figure out where to hook it up!

Where does it plug into in the F430 spider?

7. jwbond

jwbond Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    Found it! It was under the hood, in front of the driver side, under a black compartment with 3 screws on top.

Worked out nicely. I was able to run the cable by the windshield wipers and close the luggage compartment without issue.

8. Flore

Flore Karting

Jan 22, 2013
    Dubai
    So the outcome of this thread is that the C-Tek 3.6 works on the 456Ms that don't have the optional charging connector with no additional cables, e.g. can use the alligator ones (but getting the cigarette adapter is worthwhile for ease of use)?

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ctek is nice, but the can get very warm and sould NOT lay onto leather or plastic. I did that to a boat one time, and the charger left a "Ctek-footprint" in the vinyl of the interior. It is also possible to hard wire them (so they are constantly connected), but it is important to know that these chargers actually draw power from the battery when attched to the battery when the power cord is not put into the 110/230V... Another thing is that they will not start to charge if the battery is completely dead. Then a second battery have to be put in "parallell" to kickstart the charging process.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I am now officially confused.

I have a 2003 575 with a flat battery. I plan on replacing the battery and having the shop put in something. Ideally, I want to be able to plug the car in to tend the battery and jump if needed. I would prefer a non hood opening cord or the like. What do I want to have them do-- more interested in best solution than cost but don't want to go insane.

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think this is mentioned in another thread, but I'll add here: I use my c-tek with the cigar lighter accessory plug connector rather than connecting directly to the battery. It works great; I don't have to open the hood every time to plug and unplug it and the ctek unit itself sits on the garage floor next to the passenger side door and doesn't even touch the car at all (the connection wire goes under the door and sits on the rubber seal). When I take the car, I just unplug the cigar lighter, put everything near the front wall and turn off the ctek but leave it connected to the wall plug (status light yellow).

12. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I also use a battery tender works great .

cheers,

bill

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #38 greyboxer, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    There are compatible sockets with weatherproof covers (look on Ebay) which enable the wire to just sit outside the engine bay under the rear lip of the hood behind the battery

14. Flore

Flore Karting

Jan 22, 2013
    Dubai
    Just looking for a definitive answer here before I go ahead:

For the 456m without the optional charging connector I can just order the Ctek 3.6 and optionally the cigar lighter adapter to keep the car on trickle charge?

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have the ctek 3300 and only use the cigar lighter adapter; I don't have the optional charging connector in my engine compartment. Can't be any more definitive than that.

16. Flore

Flore Karting

Jan 22, 2013
    Dubai
    Perfect Allan, thanks so much.

17. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Just picked up a CTEK U4.3 today.

On a 2003 575 Maranello, the cigarette lighter adapter is NOT sufficient. When I turned the car on, the cigarette lighter caused the unit to come to life, but car off, the cig adapter does nothing (verifying cable is fine and cigarette adapter is not an option).

Right now, I am using the alligator clips and it's on stage 3/8.

Next time I bring the car in, I will get it properly installed/mounted for easier use, but I have fed the cord through the top of the hood between windshield for now.

Also note, they sell a silicone bumper for the device to prevent it's heating from being an issue. Still not putting it on the car or seats, but worth the $10.

Thanks all!

dsd

18. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Something doesn't sound right, at least when compared to my model ctek.

Here's how I know my battery tender is working properly via the cigar lighter:
    Once the ctek (NOT the car) is turned on, you press the "on" button until it is yellow under the car image. Then you look at the top row of lights. If the cigar adapter is SECURELY plugged in, and if the car is not fully charged, the orange light glows solidly. When fully charged, the orange light goes off and the green light glows solidly. If the adapter is not completely plugged in with all contacts engaged, the orange and green lights will flicker, telling you to adjust the cigar lighter adapter until one or the other light glows solidly.

19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    It's possible the 575 cigar lighter goes through a fuse and the 456 does not.

Taz?

20. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My cigar lighter recepticle is in the "always on" mode, so that it isn't wired through the ignition. That possibility could explain it....

21. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    That explains it and is required for the CTEK to use it. How did you get that? Is it a setting or a rewire or just how the 456 is?

Thanks!

22. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    It's how my 456M is, but I can't make that leap as a generalization for all 456s. We can conduct a little survey here of owners and have them check to see if their cigar lighters are "live" with the ignition off, and report back. :)

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #48 tazandjan, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Oil change annual, belt change every 3-5 years, so no.

If you cannot determine when the belts were done, doing them is good insurance. Depends on how brave you are.

No need to start a new thread on belt changes. There are dozens already if you do a search. If a new thead on the car you are considering, affirmative.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Why are you spamming the forum with multiple postings of the same thing?