Best Aftermarket Exhaust System for California T? | FerrariChat

Best Aftermarket Exhaust System for California T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MKM1, Sep 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKM1

MKM1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Khalid AL Shaikh
    Greetings FerrariChat!

I own a 2016 Ferrari California T Handling Speciale (HS). I've been on the look for an aftermarket exhaust system to fit in my car. The current exhaust system is good, yet it doesn't really do justice to the car's wonderful turbo charged engine. I prefer the exhaust to be very loud when valves are completely opened. I'm well aware of Capristo's offering as I have recently fitted their titanium package in my audi r8 v10.

What do you guys recommend?
    - Capristo
    - Novitec Rosso
    - Fabspeed
    - Fi Exhaust
    - Anything Else?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mario (MDEL) had Capristo on his Cali and loved it. As I recall, it could be turned on and off with a remote...T

3. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    The ECU tune is where all the fun is at - it kicked ours up to 488 territory :)

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Please illuminate us...

John

5. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Travis can elaborate on an ECU tune. Basically Ferrari spa uses the same engine in the California turbo and 488..........Ferrari drastically restrained the power curves of the California Turbo to make it feel energetic but restrained in acceleration so it does feel too fast during acceleration and then have a burst of hard acceleration at the high end. You all likely read this in the car magazines when Ferrari actually mentioned limiting boost and power across the low and middle RPM bands.
    I would recommend a Fabspeed rear X pipe and rear muffler bypass pipes with an ECU tune for any and all Ferrari California Turbos. You will have great sports car sound and real 488 style power that is shockingly good in the California.
    Check out Fabspeed Motorsport website for Video explanations and dyno details.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  6. MKM1

MKM1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Khalid AL Shaikh
    Hello Joe!

Thanks for the much needed feedback! I want to inform you that I've went for the capristo offering for the Cali T and the sound is surprisingly great after replacing the original mufflers. However, I still want to purchase the x-pipe! Would the fabspeed x-pipe replacement go with the capristo mufflers? and would I need to tune the car for that?

Regards,
    MK

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My T is in storage till April and I am starting to look at possibly adding an exhaust. It sounds a bit tame as it is. I was curious to see what other owners have gone with.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks Tom, I will consider your product, and you are not far from me.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    novitec is the answer for all 2010+ ferraris

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well it seems I always manage to find (or this time it found me) a deal. I guess when you have bought so many cars from all over the country people contact me about stuff. This time it was a Capristo exhaust, remote, and a piggy back tuning box, all for 3K delivered. I have a lot of experience over the years with piggy backs, and I have never had issues with them. In my 4C I had a 2nd turned ECU and a piggy back, there was no difference in performance. I will not be able to comment on the products until after the car comes out of storage, but Joe is correct there is a lot more in these cars than the factory allowed it to have.

12. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Let us know when your car is out of storage and what was the result of the work you did. Thanks.

13. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Bump.

Curious how this setup (Novitec Piggyback, right?) is working for you now that it is out of storage.

Installing the Capristo today and will report back on that.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Be careful after ECU tunes (or any significant power bumps) because such increases in HP and torque, especially at the low end, can and will throw off your traction control system - potentially make you vulnerable to losing traction when you are not expecting, based on your experience with your car before the ECU tune.

Enjoy the power bump but watch out for unexpected oversteer, take it easy at first to relearn the behaviour of your "renewed" car.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Might want to consider a pair of 200 cell cats. I personally think the Capristo is the nicest sounding setup, as it's very natural sounding. The x pipe will smooth out the sound a bit, and also remove droning. Sport cats will add some volume as well as a bit of raw raspyness.
    200 cell cats
    Fabspeed X pipe
    Capristo rear section
    Piggyback engine tune

That's a winner that will go from mild to wild at the flick of a switch.

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    A question about sports cats... I have the Portofino with Capristo exhausts. It sounds a bit louder than stock (especially with valves open) but still not a great sound... kind of harsh and raspy but not a beautiful Ferrari sound. I appreciate that’s difficult to achieve with a turbo engine.

I’m considering adding sports cats (100 or 200 cell) from Capristo. Do people think that would make a decent difference to the sound? Also, any real world power gains?

Thanks

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you don't already have one, see if Capristo, Novitec or Fabspeed makes an X pipe. That will smooth out the sound. Cats will add some high pitch sound, but it will stay raspy and raw.
    That being said, that raspy raw sound is more natural than the artificial sound n/a v8 Ferraris had in their last years.
    On a different note. Stay with 200 cell cats. The smell and fumes in the car will be significant with test pipes and to an extent 100 cell cats.

18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Can the cats on the PF and Cal T be changed without engine removal?

19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes! Easily. I was quoted £600 for the labour to change cats. If you know what you’re doing you could probably do yourself

20. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks for tips about the x pipe... I think I’ll do the sports cats and see how that sounds first. I will have already spent about £10k on the exhaust at that point... maybe time to give up and buy an F12?! Haha

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Uou do not need to remove the engine:)

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had sometime with the T with the exhaust and the piggyback, had some issues with forgetting to turn the box off before turning the ignition off. You will get a lot of codes even the nav screen turned off. These are really touchy cars, and I over almost 5 decades I have done mods to a lot of cars but messing with these things is not for the faint of heart (which to say the opposite of me who is lets see what happens here so what if it blows up). I think the capristo made a slight improvement (though the T is still my quietest summer car), I am sure the cats and x pipe would make it sound even better but I am happy with it now. I was at Algar yesterday and coming soon a 458 so I will have a Ferrari that sounds good. Not everyone has my attitude towards cars or knows what I do, or has a dealer 10 minutes away who has an almost 25 year relationship with. I have known some of the tuners a long time and I would not have anything bad to say about them (at least the ones who are sponsors on here), but like I said these cars are touchy and even stock they throw unneeded codes so my advice would be if you don't know what you are doing make sure there is someone close enough to you that does. Your probably going to need them.

whatheheck likes this.
  23. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm curious to hear the Fi Exhaust on a Cali T. No one seems to have done it, but they look really nicely made. And I would never run a convertible without decent cats, at least 200 cell. The smell will get to you.