Best Driving Route Baltimore to Maine? | FerrariChat

Best Driving Route Baltimore to Maine?

Discussion in 'New England' started by 88Testarossa, Aug 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'll be leaving Baltimore this weekend heading to Southwest Harbor, Maine. What's the best route to the Tappan Zee Bridge to avoid NYC? We plan to stop in Sturbridge, MA for one night. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When we drove to and from FL this past April from Boston, we took 287 to 78, then 15 and 270 to the Washington Beltway. You could take 83 up to 78 and then 287. It added about 60 miles to our trip, but was well worth it.

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    95north 80 west 17 north 287 east toward Tapp ...least miles out of way ... then you have option of 684 to 84

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    My son goes to Loyola in Baltimore. I've made the trip more times than you can count. This is the best way for sure.
    I'd also recommend WAZE.

I live 20 minutes from Sturbridge. Some decent restaurants there. Where will you be staying?
    Not a lot of covered parking for an F-Car.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks Ron. Taking the dog so we're driving the BMW X5. We usually order Chinese delivered to our room since we have a needy dog. The Hotel is on a lake in Sturbridge with a convenient liquor store nearby.

My planned route is this (unless I'm missing something, or have it wrong):

I-95N to Delaware Memorial Bridge

NJ Turnpike North to Garden State Parkway

I-287 East to Tappan Zee Bridge

To I-684 North to I-84 East

To I-90 East to I-290 East

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a good route, but nothing beats WAZE.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rather than 684, the Merritt Pkwy/15 is a better route. However, as others wrote, WAZE is a must. Traffic is a key determinant. Even traveling in the overnight hours that's when there's a lot of lane closures for construction.

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I'm not a fan of the Merritt. Two lanes and no real opportunity to pass. Plus it's a little risky at night with deer strikes.

If your driving an x5 then 95 isn't a bad way to go. I have found this to be the fastest but again, Waze knows all. The liquor store that you mention is called Yankee Spirits. Kind of a liquor store super store. YANKEE SPIRITS Its a good place to load up for your trip to Maine.

For dinner, consider Ceder Street Grille. Cedar Street Grille - American Bistro, Sturbridge MA, Dining in Central MA
    A decent place to eat. If you want other recommendations, please just ask.

Sturbridge is a sort of sleepy town. Decent restaurants but very quiet. Another good place is The Public House if you want traditional historic fare.

Let me know if I can help.

And I should mention that my wife and I love Annopolis. In fact, it's on our list for a retirement spot. We go to the boat show each year and love the area.

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    You get to cross the new Tap! Enjoy

Also, be prepared to sit in traffic in Waterbury CT on 84 if you're rolling through +- a few hours around peak. It is always slammed around there.

And remember, after MA, but your alcohol in NH :) tax free (and hit up Bobs Clam Hut in Kittery if you have time, my friends father owns this).

Enjoy!

10. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    As mentioned, lots of construction on I 84 in Waterbury CT.

And if you're going to Maine, stay on 90 Mass pike east to either 495 north to 95 north or 128 north to 95.

Avoid 290 / 190 thru worcester.

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks guys!

PM me if you ever get to Annapolis for a visit

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Enjoy SW Harbor and the whole Mt.Desert region. Go see Hinckley Yachts there if you are into that. Nearby Northeast Harbor is very picturesque and cute shopping. The deck of the Asticou is great for a sunset beverage. Bar Harbor fun, Cadillac Mountain nice place to watch the sunrise. But you probably already know all that.

Have fun!

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Good route, assuming there's no construction on the NY thruway. Done that a million times, except that we'd turn east eventually and head to Cape Cod.

CT Turnpike isn't a bad scenic route/detour for bit as well if that can be laid into the route.

D

14. flat6vroom

flat6vroom Rookie

Aug 9, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Sturbridge?

Go to BT's Smokehouse. Spectacular BBQ

15. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA