Best way to remove a door ? | FerrariChat

Best way to remove a door ?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Aug 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #1 stekkefun4, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm always having the greatest difficulties removing the doors. There are 2 ways to do it, but both are prone to failure.

You can see the hinges on the picture as nrs 13 and 14 and the pin is nr 15.

1. Removing the pin from the hinge: most of the time the pin is totally stuck in the hinge, so I put some oil on it and wait for a couple of hours, but even then it doesn't move most of the time.

And the biggest issue is the pin of the upper hinge: you can't reach it from the top, only from the bottom...

2. Detaching the hinge from the door: most of the time the 4 hex (inbus) bolts are damaged and you can't get them to move. They're even very difficult to reach!

And on top of that: don't remove the pin from the door stop in between the 2 hinges because that makes the door go further than safe, causing folds in the door at the A-pillar.

Any handy suggestions how to do this in a safe manner? Especially: how to remove the pin from the upper hinge: do you push or pull that out ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Hi there, I'm away from the car but will check tonight. As I remember it I stripped out the doors - I was reconditioning the window mechanisms, rust proofing and replacing speakers anyway. That made the door significantly lighter and easier to manage!

I made a cradle to support underneath, and to stop it twisting - nothing too serious, just a couple of axle stands and a wedge (probably padded with an old sleeping bag I use for protecting parts).

I thought I'd had to tap out the pins, having disconnected the electrics and removed/undone the 'check strap'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If the front wings are removed first does that give good access? I've had cars where that made it much easier, and if you are breaking the cars anyway.....

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I had to replace the metal of the lower wheel arch part of the front wing where the door edge is. I'd forgot there is a bolt / nut there, but I don't think I needed that for the doors. Problem is it was pre my having two kids and my mind / memory is now shot!! Home late, so won't get to car as planned. But I WILL make the effort for some point tomorrow. I really think I just did the pins, soaked in WD40 maybe heated and keeping pressure on the door base, so there was no weight on the hinges... no doubt I'm missing a step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Many thanks in advance !

It's not for a Mondial that I'm breaking, it's for the one that I'm having repainted in Oro Chiaro

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Stefan, try to find a closed bolt (on 1 side) and put it on the inside of the each of the 4 scews (nr 17). This should turn the bolts out. Did not try this but it should work.

Guido

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Doors are removed now by gently turning the bolts of the hinges. Thanks for the tips guys