Blue Dino at Cooper Classics | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Blue Dino at Cooper Classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by JTranfield, Oct 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    +1

blue is my FAVE color for a dino or a countach :)

...or a Subaru WRX :D

2. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Great car Andy, its cool to see how this thread has progressed over the years and how you made a great decision to buy this car.

Any links to the shell calender?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'd pay for the Shell calendar, even if it was for last year or the year before, or the year before the year before.

Mark

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    LMAO--

I started reading this thread when it was revived without noting the dates of the original posts.
    I thought to myself, "Gosh, I guess the bad economy has had more effect on Dino prices than I was aware of. A nice car like that worth only $95K? I guess mine's overinsured."

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, it is a thread that goes back some years. The discussion before the car was sold shows how difficult it is to predict prices. in 2005, we said "Do you really think Dinos can run up another 50% in the next couple of years? I don't think there's that much room on 'em ..."). That was a reasonable statement then, but the market did move way beyond that in the next year. And of course it is moving again, which direction I don't know.

I was lucky I wasn't enrolled in FerrariChat when I was looking at the Cooperclassics car (#4866). If I were, I would have passed on the car! I would have agreed with everything that was said!

Andy
    Manila

PS: I'm afraid the Shell calendar (2007) isn't available anymore. They produced a big wall calendar and a stand-up desk calendar. It wasn't just my car; they had a Ferrari for every 2 months I recall. Because of the calendar, which the stations gave away, the gasoline recognized the car ("the Dino"), which was great but unusual I thought.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #56 abstamaria, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Work on my garage extension (an extra bay and a 1.5 meter increase in depth) has begun, so #4866 now shares the workshop next door with the Stratos and the Elan. The Elise will come in shortly as soon as construction materials on the driveway allow that. I hope the cars survive the expected 3-month lay-up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    a great selection, nice picture too

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, Dignini.

Thanks to Matthias (GermanDino), who showed me how to find the information on #4866 in Ferrari's owners site, I now know my car's color and interior codes:

Blu Dino Met 106-A-72

Pelle Beige VM3234.

9. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Sort confirms its legitimacy, kind of like a birth certificate :)

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely combination, Pelle beige VM3234 is called SABBIA VM3234, very nice
    :)
    regards Matthias

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #61 abstamaria, Jul 14, 2010
    The driveway has been cleared so, after four months, I decided I would try to start the Dino today. I was apprehensive it would not start after that long lay-up.

I emptied the fuel tank with a hand pump and then put in fresh fuel, adding Redline fuel system cleaner to help clear any gum or residue in the carburetors, etc. After the standard starting drill, the Dino started on the 2nd try. Great car!

The Dino ran like a dream and sounded good! Although the construction is not completed, the tiles in the parking bays are in so I was able to park the Dino in the garage.

12. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    #62 f328nvl, Jul 15, 2010
    No.

13. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    #63 f328nvl, Jul 15, 2010
    Data is not great historically and it's notoriously difficult to know if a sale has actually happened because of SOR, but such as it is the data suggests that two years is not really that exceptional.

As has been discussed on here before, there is a UK owner whose car was advertised from 1989 almost monthly for (from memory) 15 years with the price starting at £185k and last advertised at £70k. (off the scale of the graph, but oin the dataset)

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Was DM's comment made in 2005? If so, the answer might have been "maybe." In the short term, prices did seem to spiral upward, with some good examples selling I recall at about US$160,000 plus. I don't know where they are presently. Is the trend in the long term upward or stagnant?

From the reports, very good 206s are still selling at high prices and may be inching upward. Prices overall seem to be lower in the UK as well. Why is that?

In any event, it appears as before that it is very difficult to find a Dino in very good condition.

I was hopeful that with the economic downturn prices would go down and stay down. High prices look good for an owner on paper, but, for someone with no plans to sell, are largely theoretical. For me, the impact of high prices simply mean I can't afford that nice addition to the garage. The bad news in that light is that the the classic car market seems to be rebounding strongly.

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Being realistic in an "Classic" car, the value today will most likely be the value for the next year or so.

Most people that have these cars (even US pony cars) are enjoying them. If you are faced with a deadline (ie-dying- hate to be crass), cars are MORE often "FUN" things today. The economy is not good and looks to be "uncertain" for the future.....

The optimists feel good... The pessimist are nervous.....

Either way, objects that have value aren't directly affected by market changes..... That doesn't mean PHYSICAL value will change, but econmic value can......

We all know what was built and when.....

All I can say, is that I am a young guy. I never bought any car as a long term investment.....

I can also say, as a young guy, all the "RESPONSIBLE" things I did and investments are the areas of biggest loss

I can still walk out to my garage

It depends on when and what you bought.....

I feel safer with tangible assets rather than computer assets (and digital ones are just as scary).....

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Andy -

I just realized that those are the same paint and interior codes for my current "new" Dino, 03656. And, BTW, I just received a complete (minus the compressor, but with all necessary brackets, crank pulley, etc.) NOS Dino 246 AC system to install in 03656.

Regards,
    Mark

18. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Looking at the video, it did seem an exact "sister" car. My wife thought it was ours. I hope you are happy with the combination; I think it is an excellent one.

Thank you again, Matthias (who knows more about my car than I do).

Congratulations on the NOS AC system, Mark; what a find. Mine has one, but it needs freon (or whatever it is I can use now with the system). It has the large York-type compressor, but a rotary one, if you can find a model to fit, will be a great improvement, I think.

Andres

20. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Andy,
    That picture is too much! With your permission, it's my new wallpaper.
    Thanks for the smile,
    Coop

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I'm glad you like the picture, Coop. The Dino looks especially good from that angle.

Andres

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #72 abstamaria, Jul 28, 2010
    The garage still isn't complete, but I am now able to park the Stratos and Dino there. I was experimenting with a new, small point-and-shoot camera and took this shot. Even cropped tightly, the cars are recognizable.

I posted a full picture of the Dino and Stratos in the Showroom/Garage Pics thread, which you might find interesting.

Regards,

Andres

23. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Absolutely love this photograph. This should be on a poster, I'd put it on the wall in my garage. Awesome photo!

24. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Talk about automotive poetry!
    I am still getting over the Dino and the Rottweiller, now we add Stratos to the mix. And, if that is what you put on your garage floor, what do you have in the house?!
    Congratulations!

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #75 abstamaria, Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks, Dignini, TheMac.

I was sorting my photos on the computer and found this photo, which I thought interesting. I will have to attach a front license plate shortly.

Regards to all.