Blue Dino at Cooper Classics | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Blue Dino at Cooper Classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by JTranfield, Oct 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Andy- I am thinking of doing my #01832 euro 1971 (1972) coupe in the same colors. I will likely do the campy wheels,headlight covers, and the rectangular side markers will be removed and I may also do a Daytona type interior (beige & maybe navy blue inserts). I have your car & dog as my wallpaper at the office! It is gorgeous!! My car is in a billion pieces so I will have a long time to wait! You have a really sharp car! Congrats

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Champtc, thank you. I would do that exactly if I were in the process of complete restoration, as you appear to be. Headlamp covers, deleted side markers (the Euro model shouldn't have these?), Daytona seats. Flush front indicators too, as Omgjon did with his car. Beige leather with blue inserts seems very attractive. Good luck with the restoration!

3. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I have been thinking about this color for a long time..in fact there was a pic of a car just like yours (with headlight covers) and i think it was in the UK...have loved it ever since. The campys really set it off too...my other dino is metalazita (lighter blue) which is lovely with dark blue interior (I have a blue jag too)..I guess I just like blue & I love yours!!

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #79 abstamaria, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although a similar photo appears in "Garage Pics," I thought I would add this photograph to this thread on #4866 for posterity. Here is the Dino in the almost completed garage. The garage is an old one, but was just extended rearward and large glass windows added to the rear wall. There is a small pond and a hill behind, and this allows a nice view of the Dino, seen here with a cousin, across the water. If I may say so, the Dino is a truly a beautiful car.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Truly poetic, Andy! Fred

6. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    congratulations on your choice of cars and your presentation.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #82 abstamaria, Nov 21, 2010
  8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #83 abstamaria, Nov 21, 2010
    In searching for a picture to show the door pocket, I realized I didn't have my own photo of the interior. Documenting the safety belts for Matthias this afternoon, I decided to take this for posterity.

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, dignini. I have a small, new camera and am having fun with it. I'm happy you like the pictures. Andy

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks Andy, they look perfect to me :)
    regards Matthias

11. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Congratulations, Andy. That appears to be a remarkably well preserved, 100% as original and correct interior for a US Dino. And, yes, those seatbelts are most certainly the original ones. Beautiful!

Regards,
    Lars

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, Matthias, Lars. That is good to know.

Best regards,

Andy

13. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
  14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #89 abstamaria, Dec 4, 2010
  15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #90 abstamaria, Dec 4, 2010
  16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #91 abstamaria, Feb 1, 2011
    I discovered, courtesy of Matthias, that my car's build date is February 1, 1973. That is at odds with the October 1972 manufacture date on the door jamb plate, but this is not uncommon, says Matthias. That would make my car a 1973, instead of a 1972, and perhaps explain in part why it was not sold until 1974.

In any event, to commemorate #4866's 38th birthday, I took a few photos tonight and posted two, one in sepia, which reminds me of Dino pictures I used to pore over in now vintage magazines.

Andres

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Great shots, Andy, and happy birthday to 04866! My 04808 also has an Oct. 1972 doorjamb build tag, and wasn't sold until 1974. Alas, my car's build date is unknown to me and, therefore, went uncelebrated. It was probably sometime in January of 1973. Fred

18. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the e-mail, Matthias. I now know when my Dino came online, and appreciate your sharing the information. Fred

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #94 abstamaria, Feb 7, 2011
    I thought I would show another Dino here in Manila. This 1973 GTS, imported from the U.S. before mine, has been in Manila some 10 years. It is in excellent, original condition, down to the Ansa exhaust. It was resprayed here though, and there may have been a color change, but this may have been to bring it back to its orginal color. The owner, a friend of mine, took the opportunity to remove Ferrari script and a prancing horse that were on the car when he bought it. It came with the original steering wheel, but he installed a Nardi, evident in this photo.

The photo below was taken, of course, in Manila, what with the balmy skies, coconut trees, tropical dress, and sun umbrellas all around. The scene is from the 2007 Manila Sports Car Club concours, an event held every four years or so. MSCC invites enthusiasts from clubs in other countries to judge; Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, and England are represented in this photo. It's a very "clubby" and friendly event and a lot of fun. That's Manila Bay in the background.

Aside from mine and this yellow one, there is at least one other Dino here, a GT that has been in the country since the 1970s. It was stored for manu years and is now being restored; the owner is a collector and also has a 340 Barchetta. Last year, a GTS was imported to the Southern island of Cebu, also from the U.S.. Not too many Dinos here, but the population has tripled this last decade.

Regards,

Andres

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #95 abstamaria, Feb 19, 2011
    It is still quiet cool here in tropics, with temperatures dipping to a frosty (for us) 18 degrees C. That makes it especially exhilarating to take out the Dino, which I did very, very early this morning.

When I returned home and got off to open the garage door, I looked back at the Dino and said "I must take a picture."

21. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Love is blind !

22. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I feel the same..its about 18 degrees (Farenheit) here,,,rather cool! I really like your car...Imay do my coupe (which I have lots of engine pics to post) in the same combo. It is a spectacular looking car especially the wheel set up. I may do the Daytona interior (beige with black or navy blue inserts). You will be my new wall paper at the office! Thanks

23. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars

Very nice, Andres.
    It is always interesting to see and hear about Dinos in other parts of the world.

Looking at that photo with Manila bay in the background, it occurred to me that it is not only a different part of the world - it is a different world, too. I am referring to the young ladies holding up umbrellas to provide shade for the judges. FCA judges might be envious. They get respect, but not that kind of royal treatment.

Regards,
    Lars

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #99 abstamaria, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    True, Jimmy. The more I see Dinos in photographs, including the good ones in the 246 photos thread in the Detailing & SHowroom forum on FerrariChat, the more I think the Dino is the most beautiful Ferrari ever. That is true regardless of setting. But let's keep that in this forum. As you say, love is blind.

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #100 abstamaria, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    It's a bit colder where you are, champtc. I like the combination, too. When I was looking for a 246GT, they were extremely hard to find. I was willing to get one in any color combination and with a vinyl interior, but hoped for a dark blue metallic with tan or beige leather. I was lucky to have found the car in the right color with what I thought was very good imitation leather (I can be quite stupid at times). Closer examination, prompted by advice on this forum, showed that it was indeed leather. The Gods smiled upon me that day I found the car on the Internet, and I am grateful. Andres